PDA

View Full Version : cpl requirements

screetch
19th Jul 2010, 14:51
hi

i hopefully posted in the right forum, as this regarding the cpl. I have recently gained my ppl purely for private flying purpose as I find it too risky to change careers at the moment. however i would not mind working my way towards a CPL whilst gaining experience.

the cpl req as far as I am aware are:

200 hours total time

Of which:- 100 hours must be pilot in command
20 hours solo cross-country flight
300nm cross country flight including two land aways
10 hours dual instrument time (if no I/R already issued)
5 hours total night flying

so any flight I do will be as PIC which is fine. However a

what distinguished as flight from a solo cross country flight? I assume solo means
I will have to be by myself. But any longer flight around the uk can be called
a cross country, can it not?

Sorry if this is a stupid question..

Piper.Classique
19th Jul 2010, 15:29
Not a stupid question at all. Solo for this purpose means the only licensed pilot on board, you can have non flying passengers in the aircraft. A cross country is usually considered to involve an away landing, but as far as I know a planned flight with a defined turning point ought also to be acceptable. There is a theory that more than "x" miles from home is cross country, but I wouldn't like to argue that one with the CAA (I am supposing you are UK based)
BTW the 300 mile cross country should be done in one day, though mine was actually over two days due to bad weather, which was accepted by the CAA.

kenparry
19th Jul 2010, 15:47
Not a stupid question: the answer is fairly well hidden.

See LASORS 2008 on the CAA website. LASORS 2008 Documents | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=780)

On page 105 of 684 you will find this:

‘Cross-country flight’ means any flight during the course
of which the aircraft is more than 3 nautical miles from the
aerodrome of departure.

This is one of the definitions listed for Schedule 8 of the ANO, which covers all Flight Crew licences. It would be worthwhile making a note in your logbook of which flights meet the criterion.

Good luck!

screetch
19th Jul 2010, 15:57
hmm thanks. funny so cross country is really just there so people dont do 100 hrs circuits?

I guess nobody will ever fail this criteria..? Does the last skill test count towards the cross country time?

Is solo - 1 POB or really 1 pilot? I recently read this differently here on another thread that solo means solo and would not allow for a passanger. It would be more fun to always take my girlfriend along :)

Whopity
19th Jul 2010, 17:09
If you look at the latest ANO you will see that this definition is no longer in the Interpretation section because it has being incorrectly interpreted. The definition is solely for the purpose of defining a "Cross Country flight" for the purposes of the limitations on a FI(R) or AFI rating. It has nothing to do with cross country time for a CPL!

ANO Schedule 7 Part B Ratings:5. For the purposes of this Section—
“Cross-country flight” means any flight during the course of which the aircraft is more than three nautical miles from the aerodrome of departure. which means that a FI(R) or AFI cannot authorise the first flight that lgoes more than 3nm from the aerodrome.

A Cross Country flight is generally recognised as any flight that goes from A to B or any flight with planned turning points.It is not defined anywhere.

BillieBob
19th Jul 2010, 17:45
It is not defined anywhere.Actually, it is. JAR-FCL 1.005, at Amendment 7, defines cross country as "A flight between a point of departure and a point of arrival following a pre –planned route using standard navigation procedures." Now, before everyone starts bleating that Amendment 7 is not implemented in the UK, it will have to be at some point prior to the adoption of the EASA Implementing Rules (i.e. before April 2012). It would therefore seem wise, in the case of a relatively long-term venture such as the OP is suggesting, to ensure that ones cross-country flying meets the Amendment 7 definition.

Solo for this purpose means the only licensed pilot on board, you can have non flying passengers in the aircraft. Solo means solo and JAR-FCL 1.005 defines solo flight time as "Flight time during which a student pilot is the sole occupant of an aircraft." However, JAR-FCL 1.155(c)(2) does not require 20 hours solo cross country flight but "20 hours VFR cross-country flight time as pilot-in-command" so you can have anyone you like in the aircraft with you so long as you are the nominated PIC.

screetch
19th Jul 2010, 19:12
thanks so i will be fine with my plane to continue to fly with my gf and after i have enought hours I will do the CPL

mrgaviates
19th Jul 2010, 19:36
Having just done it all and chucking an idea in to the pot. Whilst doing all your hours to qualify for CPL entry spend a little bit more money and get your IMC (Whilst we still have it), night and complex. As much time now on these for a little additional outlay will put you in a far better position than being 150 hours SSEA PPL. Hope that helps.

joelgarabedian
20th Jul 2010, 12:39
Hi Screetch,

Sorry to deviate a little bit from your original post, but I was planning on working my way to the CPL too - like you not because I want to work as a pilot commercially at the moment, but because after my PPL I felt like I had to set myself a new goal. As soon as I sampled aerobatics, getting enough PIC hours to start a CPL through cross country flight went right out of the window! 20 hours in the logbook later, I've completed my complex differences training and fly a SA Bulldog. Around half solo, and half under aerobatic instruction (although I've only done aileron rolls solo to date - I'm not ready for solo loops just yet). Along the way I've also experienced flying in formation with a Super Decathlon and an Extra 300, taking off from a tiny farm strip, spinning, and very unusual attitude recovery!

It means less solo hours than if I was flying cross country in a Tomahawk, but it's definitely improved my abilities more than 20 solo cross country hours. And it's been incredibly good fun! The only problem (which others warned me of at the start) is that it's very addictive!

So if you're looking to have a huge amount of fun on your way to your CPL, (although you won't necessarily get the required PIC hours as quickly), why not give aeros a try :ok:

Take care,

Joel.

screetch
20th Jul 2010, 16:13
yeah i was thinking about it. oinly question is how much money to spend on flying and how much money to save for wife and house etc...

i am trying to find people to share a plane with but unless you buy a share of the plane it does seem possible.

since all my flights will be cross country from now on it seems i get the 20 hrs easily but the main stake are the total pic time.

does LSA time count? as microlights unfortunatly dont.