PDA

View Full Version : CPL theory, to self study or Bob Tait???

Kippers7
19th Jul 2010, 11:19
Hey
Just after some advice about CPL theory study..
I believe I have a ability to self study the exams myself, but probably not in the 2 month time frame of the Bob Tait course.
End of the day is the Bob Tait course worth the time away from flying training and the extra $3000+???
Thanks for any advice.

Brown Cow
19th Jul 2010, 11:23
one every 2 weeks is doable

scardycap
19th Jul 2010, 11:27
Mate if you aren't in a hurry study them yourself. Save the $3000 and put it towards your flying.
Best piece of advice I got was self study then pay for a couple of hours ground school with your instructor if you get stuck. Worked for me:ok:

Buffalo Joe
19th Jul 2010, 11:53
The time with Bob is well worth it. Plus I enjoyed doing a set theory course partly just to meet a new group of people and build some more contacts.

Homesick-Angel
19th Jul 2010, 12:10
Self study is a good way to go, but Im yet to meet anyone who has done them all in two week stints unless that was all you were doing, and you were extremely disciplined and had plenty of help around...Some of them can be done faster, but Id say performance would slow most down a bit, and most people have a weaker subject(for me it was Aero).

Ive self studied and passed all ok, but if I had the spare cash I reckon learning in a class enviro would be good in some ways and a good way to get them all done in a timeframe.It took me about 11 months fitting it in around a coupla jobs and flying etc.

Jazzy78910
20th Jul 2010, 05:44
I'm working full time and have completed 4 out of 7 subjects in an average time of 4 weeks each. Self study is fine if you are disciplined enough to actually do it properly.

Also, it helps your information retention if you're interested in the subject you're studying, which is hopefully a given considering your chosen path into aviation.

Diversion90
20th Jul 2010, 07:02
Self study is the way to go book the exams for every three weeks. That way once you finish one exam you have a week to relax, so you don't burn out, leaving two weeks to study for the next exam.

Highly recommend that you use the bob tait books to study.

desert goat
21st Jul 2010, 07:02
While we're on the topic (sorry about the thread drift)
If anyone on here wants to get a few $$$ back for their slightly out of date pubs (CAR,CAO etc) could you drop me a PM? :8
Cheers

PA39
22nd Jul 2010, 02:27
If you're on a time constraint, go to Bob. He knows all the short cuts and worth the $$. If time isn't the issue....self study from Bobs books and call him constantly if and when you get stuck!!......sorry Bob.

The Green Goblin
22nd Jul 2010, 02:55
Self study is a good way to go, but Im yet to meet anyone who has done them all in two week stints unless that was all you were doing, and you were extremely disciplined and had plenty of help around...Some of them can be done faster, but Id say performance would slow most down a bit, and most people have a weaker subject(for me it was Aero).

I 'spose you have not met me but I did them in 8 weeks of self study. 1 a week for 6 of the subjects and 2 weeks for performance. I used ATC and BT for performance and it took the vast majority of my time backwards engineering Echo to work out how to do it. I had to repeat Airlaw as I got my exam dates wrong and rocked up to do aerodynamics when It was airlaw. I had a crack anyway and failed with 60% and no documents with me. Oh well.......

I would have put in about 6 hours a day from 10am to 4pm.

Hot High Heavy
22nd Jul 2010, 03:25
Self study is definitely possible and you should be able to bounce questions off a range of sources such as BT or your instructor etc.

Unlike the smarter folks above it took me 8 months although i was working fulltime in a business role that had me occupied 12-15hrs a day, 6 days a week. Pretty hard trying to study at 9pm after being at work with your head in spreadsheets all day! Nevertheless managed to get them all on first go with some good results.

A word of warning with BT though, he will teach you enough to get through the exam and pass but there are sections that he breezes through without much detail and these can sometimes catch you out in exams if they are questioned in depth.

Good luck with it all!

djpil
22nd Jul 2010, 10:57
...self study from Bobs books and call him constantly if and when you get stuck!......sorry Bob.He seems to enjoy the calls but it takes time so he has set up a forum on his website - just go there to ask your questions and you'll get a prompt response.

Kippers7
26th Jul 2010, 01:30
Thanks for the advice guys, speaking to a few different people around the club on the weekend it seems that self study will probably be the way to go for me.