PDA

View Full Version : Average hours to PPL

Cirronimbus
19th Jul 2010, 09:58
Hi All.

Just wondering if there is really an 'average' amount of hours that students take to reach PPL standard. I realise that it will depend on how frequently the student flies and how busy the airport/circuit area is but I'd be interested to know how many hours an 'average' student might need to reach the required standard.

Can anyone give me an estimate please?

Thanks,

Cn

mrgaviates
19th Jul 2010, 10:48
Just to get this one going 55 hours is a good start. Obvious usual caveats apply.

BA123
20th Jul 2010, 10:30
Most average PPL students in the UK complete the course in about 55 to 65 hours. Like you said it all depends on the weather and how often they can come in to fly.

They have to be devoted to get it done close to minimum time.

mrmum
21st Jul 2010, 05:41
I would say for a JAA-PPL(A) in the UK, you are looking at something in the high fifties, but I've seen anything from 45 to 150.

binsleepen
27th Jul 2010, 10:49
I am training uni students over the summer and each student gets 1 month of time. Almost all get there PPL in 45 hours with some doing their skill tests after 40 hours leaving some time at the end for a fun awayday. A very few require an extra couple of hours to get their PPLs. This though is a very intensive full time, 10 hour days, for 20 working days. Therefore very little time is need for revision.

Regards

AlphaMale
27th Jul 2010, 18:18
Pretty sure the CAA average in 55 to 65hrs. When I was asking what I should budget for for learning to fly most quoted the 45hr minimum figure and said "But most take around 60hrs so budget on that figure".

With a good/experienced instructor I managed to pass my PPL skills test after 44hrs TT, then needed to do a check ride on another plane to make up the extra 1hr to 45hrs for the Licence issue. That was flying on weekends over a 14 month period.

Having said that there is a guy who passed his skills test 3 weeks before I did ... and it took him 200hrs!!! :eek:

Dram
28th Jul 2010, 00:42
Student age plus 20 hours seems a reasonable average in my experience.

michael95u
29th Jul 2010, 15:29
In my experience instructing since 2003, I'd say my students complete their training in 42-60 hours. There are so many variables, it is difficult some times to give an accurate estimate to students. Here is a list of variables I have come up with that either contribute to more hours or less hours training:

Increased Hours of Training
1) Busy, controlled airport
2) Practice area more than 10nm from the airport
3) Poor weather
4) Student's training time limited to specific days/hours
5) Flight school has small fleet and many clients
6) Student flies 2 or less days per week
7) Changing from one aircraft type to another
8) Instructor has too many students

Decreased Hours of Training
1) Uncontrolled, sleepy airport
2) Close by practice area
3) Good weather (in the midwest US, the best weather is sometimes in the WINTER)
4) Accelerated training or student can fly any day at any time
5) Fleet appropriately sized for number of clients
6) Student flies 3-5 times per week
7) Sticking with one aircraft type
8) Instructor has appropriate amount of students