PDA

View Full Version : CASA Alcohol & Drug Regs Survey

CitationJet
19th Jul 2010, 08:23
Survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AODsurvey)

Apparently CASA and Monash University are having a new look at the regs. The survey is a bit banal in spots, however we should let CASA know what we think of the DAMPS.

VH-XXX
19th Jul 2010, 09:01
Do you think they are having a re-think about it, or are they checking how effective the million they spent on be campaign got the point across?

Worrals in the wilds
19th Jul 2010, 10:40
Thanks for the link, survey completed.

However, not one question about being unfairly stood down pending retesting if prescribed codeine / pseudoephedrine is in one's system, for several days if over a weekend because the further testing facilities don't operate Saturdays or Sundays.

Not one question about how the abovementioned medications pose no safety risk (if taken as directed) but are included on the stand down list because the CASA testing cannot initially separate them from illicit opiates or amphetamines.

If you work in aviation and take codeine and/or pseudoephedrine (both over the counter medications with legitimate uses) you run the risk of unfairly losing work time, money and reputation in the event of an unjustified positive DAMP test. People who don't get sinus problems or migraines just say 'oh, take another medication', despite the two mentioned drugs being the only ones that work for many people.

Neither CASA or Monash seem to want to discuss this, and nor do a million bucks worth of groovy wine glass posters. :hmm:

mustafagander
19th Jul 2010, 10:46
I have absolutely no problem submitting to a VALID A & O D test. Unfortunately this one, AFAIK, gives false positives. This, under any fair and reasonable system, would disqualify the test at once.

Another thought - how many aviation incidents or accidents have occurred in Oz because a pilot was affected by drugs? As I see it, we have here a solution desperately seeking a problem.

Jabawocky
19th Jul 2010, 12:30
Musta

There has been at least one with a serious reason to believeso (and paying pax involved) and no doubt others. In the last few years when awareness has been highlighted in the community.

J

3 Holer
19th Jul 2010, 22:00
..............how many aviation incidents or accidents have occurred in Oz because a pilot was affected by drugs? That doesn't come into the equation and is irrelevant.

Aviation safety is about being pro-active not, as you are suggesting, re-active! :=

Jabawocky
19th Jul 2010, 22:47
3 Holer...Good Point :ok:

But this is probably a good case of reactive not proactive.

I would never have thought it were necessary, but when you hear about the actions of some in days gone by you have to wonder why it took them so long to react!:ooh:

Lodown
20th Jul 2010, 02:54
My apologies for taking this survey with nonchalance. My experience with surveys (particularly those in which the CASA had a hand) is that they are usually tilted to elicit answers that support the result desired. This one seems to be no different. My answers will probably be ignored for being outside the bell curve.

VH-XXX
20th Jul 2010, 03:11
I don't think they were trying to extrapolate answers to support an existing theory.

The questions are around:

Do you take drugs
Do you know someone that takes drugs
Do you think that drugs affect aviation safety

How you can get your conspiracy theory ideas out of that I have no idea. They are simple yes or no answers.

Jabawocky
20th Jul 2010, 05:35
For those who have not been educated before....turn up the volume and enjoy! :ok:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2yhN1IDLQjo&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2yhN1IDLQjo&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

NOSIGN
20th Jul 2010, 07:50
How much is the CASA "administration" fee to print and send you a copy of your licence after a new endo or renewal?

I'm sure that this survey takes infinitely more time to complete than to recall a record and print it? Where do you send your invoice?

bahumbug

YPJT
20th Jul 2010, 08:09
Nice one Jaba :ok:

Jabawocky
20th Jul 2010, 08:29
$25 I think........Good Luck! get some of your avgas tax back!

Of course it will cost them $75 to process your invoice!:ok:

It is YPJT :ok: Sums it up pretty well.