PDA

View Full Version : Unite at it again, this time with BAA

gone till november
16th Jul 2010, 12:37
According to the BBC

The Unite Union is to ballot 6000 of it's staff at the UK's major airports on strike action...to include cleaners firemen security staff etc etc etc.

The BAA have been given 7 days to reply

The Member
16th Jul 2010, 14:29
Well they have to do something for their Members to warrant their fat saleries and excessive ego's :E

AltFlaps
16th Jul 2010, 14:33
Yes, if they were a totally powerless/toothless aviation union, they would be called BALPA

Frogga
16th Jul 2010, 14:41
Is UNITEs aim to completely ruin the country completely? The government should step in to stop them causing disruption, and maybe make them powerless....

At least then BALPA wouldnt be so bad.

Skipness One Echo
16th Jul 2010, 16:09
"BAA missed its earnings target by a tiny 3% and the company has still refused to give its staff any financial recognition for coming so close," he said.

To me this is the point. Agreed target wasn't met but Union demands money anyway. In the year that we had European airspace shut for a week and BA attacked by it's own staff and the end of the worst banking crisis in living memory, Unite are trying to cripple the industry and ruin tens of thousands of people's holidays. These clowns live on a different planet.

Welshtraveller
16th Jul 2010, 17:36
If the strike goes ahead, will this affect Gatwick?

According to the link from the BBC Gatwick is not included but I thought it was.

Thanks.

MancRy
16th Jul 2010, 18:55
LGW is no longer BAA.

I'm not passing comment on Unite or the strike. Ultimately, if the staff feel agrieved and vote for the strike then that is down to them. For all i know, they may have good reason to strike. They can then reap the benefits or the consequences as the case may be.

ReadyToGo
17th Jul 2010, 20:32
I heard rumours that ground staff at NCL were recieving ballots as well, and on the Newcastle forum someone else seems to have heard of a coming strike.

If these whispers are true, whats the likelyhood of it being linked to this? I know BAA dont run Newcastle, but are the majority of airport workers with Unite? A solidarity strike perhaps? Perhaps other non-BAA airports are involved but have yet to make the news?

I'd love to know exactly what goes on behind the scenes at these neogtiations... but seems Unite are on some form of mission.

RTG!

racedo
17th Jul 2010, 22:43
Strike.....................NO CHANCE.

Tories will not allow it.

call100
18th Jul 2010, 10:43
For goodness sake....It's the members calling for action, not the National Officers. The Union ballot to see if it is what the majority want. If it is then they will take that forward, if it is not, nothing will happen.
People throwing their dummies out of the pram at every mention of a ballot anywhere, without any understanding of the issues, have little effect on anything...:ugh:
Starting threads just to instigate a flame session seems to be the trend these days.:rolleyes:

Groundloop
19th Jul 2010, 09:14
A solidarity strike perhaps?

Strike action like this is illegal.

call100
19th Jul 2010, 16:10
Being a member of a TU was illegal at one time.....:ugh: Balloting members is the correct way to do things. Fail to see why anyone would have a problem with it.:rolleyes: