PDA

View Full Version : Air Commodore BASIL HAMILTON CBE DFC AFC

rjstoneuk
16th Jul 2010, 01:47
Sadly, my grandfather Air Cdre Basil Hamilton passed away on 10 July 2010 after a short battle with cancer, aged 86.

The funeral will take place at Oakley Wood Crematorium, Nr Warwick, on Tuesday 20th July at 2.30pm. Family flowers only please but donations, if desired, for The Royal British Legion may be sent to Hemming and Peace Funeral Services, 1a Brewery Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 0BQ. Tel: 01789 205400.

If anyone served with my grandfather or knew of him, comments would gratefully be appreciated. And you would of course be welcome to the funeral.

Brief Biography:

625 Sqn (RAF Kelstern) Lancaster Navigator
RAF Shawbury - Navigational Instructor
Boscombe Down - Navigational Device Trials Team
RAF Bircham Newton - Officer Administrative Training School Instructor
RAF Manby - Part of Aries IV & V Canberra crew
RAF Rheindahlen - Planner
RAF Wyton (1962) - Commanding Officer 543 Sqn
RAF Swinderby - Station Commander
CSHQ Singapore - Operations, Plans & Training
RAF Halton - Station Commander
MoD London
Regional Commandant Air Training Corps

Brummie Boy
16th Jul 2010, 10:43
Very sorry to hear that and have fond memories of the Air Commodore when he was Regional Commandant of North West England ATC in the 1980s.

Do you want uniform worn at the funeral?

rjstoneuk
16th Jul 2010, 11:52
Hi Brummie Boy,

Thank you for your reply and your sympathies. Uniform will be fine for the ceremony. I shall be wearing mine so would be nice to see another uniform there.

The wake will be held at The Glebe Hotel, Barford where a cream tea will be had, although there is also a bar there for a pint to toast him with!

Jackonicko
16th Jul 2010, 13:39
Was your Grand-father Staish at Halton in about 1974? If so I certainly met and remember his face, but not his name.

Paul Hamilton
16th Jul 2010, 16:09
I was sorry to hear that your grandfather (my uncle) passed away. My prayers, thoughts and sympathies to you, father , mother (Rosemary) and grandmother (Margaret) and all other friends and family. Your grandfather was my favourite good humoured and heroic uncle. I was sad that I did not get a chance to meet with him recently; my last meeting with him was about 23 years ago when I took him on a tour of a gold mine in Zimbabwe on his visit to your grand uncle (Claude - his older brother)

Love and blessings - Paul

rjstoneuk
16th Jul 2010, 20:04
Jackonicko - Yes, he was the Station Commander at RAF Halton in 1974. Nice to hear that you remember him from that time.

Paul - Thank you for your sympaties and thank you for the phonecall. It will be great to see you at the funeral.

m_nulty
18th Jul 2010, 15:57
Sad to learn about your grandfather, Air Commodore Hamilton had past away. We have fond memories of him and of Margaret, when he was regional commandant of the North and West Region A.T.C. Being O.C. of the regional gold epeditions held in Snowdonia area, he and Margaret always came out into the mountains to meet with the cadets and instructers every year. I still have some photographs of them both in pouring rain by the old dam. We also had some very enjoyable get togethers at the Tickled Trout near Preston,Shap in Cumbria and at a hotel outside Shrewsbury.My wife and i have also called into Church Stetton to see them both. We will be attending the funeral. He will be sadly missed. Harry and Marian.

pontifex
18th Jul 2010, 16:28
He was my Sqn Cdr when I was a very young captain on 543. A real gentleman, I have never forgotten him and mourn his passing

Burtonwood Aviator
18th Jul 2010, 19:19
Sorry to hear of your sad loss your Grandfather presented our unit 635 VGS Raf Burtonwood with a good show award when he was the North West Regional Commondant (Rank Group Captain).
We remember him as a real gentleman.
Have a newspaper article of the presentation but unable to send as it is a JPeg Photo.
Once again sorry to hear of your loss