PDA

View Full Version : Catalina over The Hoe (merged)

Akrotiri bad boy
15th Jul 2010, 09:57
Just glimpsed a Cat heading out to sea this morning, presumably having taken part in Plymouth Air Day yesterday.

Can anyone fill me in on who? what? why? where? when? Did it alight in the Sound or land at Roborough? Aaaaaaaaargh so many questions, are there any answers?

:8

chevvron
15th Jul 2010, 10:18
G - PBYA called Farnborough about 10 min ago inbound to them.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jul 2010, 10:28
It usually lives at Duxford. If it helps, my wife and I flew on the New Zealand one a couple of years back!!! (Sorry, but couldn't resist).

overfly
15th Jul 2010, 14:25
did I really just see a Grumman Goose flying north unusually low over Wokingham area, possibly out of Blackbushe or Farnborough?

Mods - pls shift to spotters' corner if that's more relevant.

chevvron
15th Jul 2010, 15:48
More likely the Catalina which was scheduled to validate at Farnborough at 1410 local.

Tyres O'Flaherty
15th Jul 2010, 16:54
Would that have been why I saw what I thought was a Cat from some distance near Aylesbury Mon middayish ?

AirShowJunkie
15th Jul 2010, 16:56
Is that Plane Sailing's Cat? In the white US Navy scheme? I saw it flying near Milton Keynes on Monday 1300ish- i was actually at Bletchley Park :ok:

Cheers

pigboat
16th Jul 2010, 02:05
If it helps, my wife and I flew on the New Zealand one a couple of years back!!!

When I knew it, it looked like this. :p

http://www.catalina.org.nz/documents/49/htmlimport_austin5.jpg

Akrotiri bad boy
16th Jul 2010, 07:27
I was driving at the time but from the wee glimpse I got the Cat was in US Navy colours. It was quite something to see a Cat over the old moorings and flying boat sheds at Mountbatten.

Thinking along nautical lines, is this particular Cat "seaworthy" or is she purely land based?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2010, 07:31
Pigboat... Many thanks for that. It looked like this when we flew in it:
ZK-PBY Consolidated PBY5 Catalina. Bren and Ruth flew in this aircraft at the Omaka Air Show, New Zealand on 7 April, 2007 :: ZKPBY.jpg :: Fotopic.Net (http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p40431074.html)

Thirty quid each and we were on it for an hour; who could turn it down?

Groundloop
16th Jul 2010, 08:58
Very unlikely it would land on seawater - too much trouble to try and get all the salt off afterwards to halt corrosion - salt and aluminium just don't go together.

treadigraph
16th Jul 2010, 10:24
Their original Cat certainly dipped its toes in the briney from time to time; whether this caused the corrision in the nosewheel door linkage that led to it sinking after alighting on the Solent...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2010, 12:54
Didn't that one end of at Lee-on-Solent with another Cat? Haven't noticed them there for a while so does anyone know what happened to them? I had them logged as "JV928" and N423RS. Any further info appreciated.

I just love Catalinas. First I saw was N4938V at Croydon in 1957ish..

overfly
16th Jul 2010, 13:18
that'll be it - thanks

treadigraph
16th Jul 2010, 13:40
I think JV928 (the original Plane Sailing Cat) was under rebuild at Lee, and eventually moved to Ireland? N423RS was also there - a rather attractive rainbow scheme as I recall, not sure where it went.

There was also the orange ex Doug Arnold Catalina at North Weald for a while, last I heard it was heading towards Israel and blew an engine in France. And a rather nice blue US Navy schemed Cat was at NW at the same time - where'd that one go?

First one I ever saw was a survey aircraft over Southampton in '77 - it's now is the USAF Museum I think. Also at Southampton at that time was one of the Antilles Sandringhams doing joy rides.

Mike7777777
16th Jul 2010, 16:15
White Catalina was in residence at Duxford today, 1030hrs

pigboat
16th Jul 2010, 20:27
Pic was taken 44 years ago HD. Not JCV, but another machine. That's me on the left. :p
The Captain - on the right, - was ex-RAF, one of the finest pilots I ever had the privelege to fly with.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/Siddley-Hawker/scan0004-1.jpg

stolport
16th Jul 2010, 20:37
Can anyone fill me in on who? what? why? where? when? Did it alight in the Sound or land at Roborough? Aaaaaaaaargh so many questions, are there any answers?

Yes it was parked up at Plymouth for a few nights for the display on the Hoe.

YouTube - Catalina Plymouth Air Day 13/07/10 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxS9p09Pvi8)

Mechta
19th Jul 2010, 13:21
Overfly you could well be right.

There is a 'Triple S G21 Super Goose' listed amongst the static exhibits at Farnborough, so unless it is going to taxi there up the Basingstoke Canal...

Planemike
19th Jul 2010, 18:37
overfly ...............

Not inconceivable you did see a Goose the other day as I see one is reported as being at Farborough N221AG. Should not be too difficult to tell it apart from a Catalina. Short stubby wings with long thin engine nacelles, as it is Turbo Goose.

Planemike