PDA

View Full Version : What options do I have?

Echelon6
15th Jul 2010, 07:39
Hi,
I will be finishing yr 12 this year and I want to go into aviation next year to become a Pilot. At the moment my dreams are hanging with the air force, but as the RAAF is only small I can be waiting 2+ years for a position, so unless theres something soon that rules that out for now.
I was thinking about the Swinburne Bachelor of Aviation at Oxford but I was a little concerned with the course cost (just over $112,000) and I was wondering what are my other options. I did some research and asked some of my flying buddies and they said if I was able to do it self funded thats the better way and i'll save almost half of the Swinburne course cost.

Is there anyway to get fee-help to cover the costs of aviation (GFPT, PPL, CPL etc etc) if I do my flying at RVAC or at MFT? What other options do I have? Is there any kind of special loans or something for a situation like this?
if someones was in a similar situation it would be great to hear how you got into aviation :ok:

redsnail
15th Jul 2010, 15:25
Keep your eyes peeled for some scholarships being handed out by the AWPA (if you're female, I think some can be given to guys) and the like.
Note, you will not get $100,000 etc.

Re fee help? I have no idea. None of things existed when I went through.
Best research that online or have a chat with someone from the authorities.

Not sure what the Swinburne course gives you over another school. Employers only care if you have a licence issued by CASA. A degree is not necessary to be hired as a pilot. (I am not discussing fall back options etc)

If you have your heart set on the Air Force, have you had your vision checked and so forth? You'll need the very best eye sight to get in, (after you're in it's allowed to deteriorate). Diabetes, colour blindness and so on are all no no's for the Air Force.

I have just seen a post in DG&P that there's been hiring "up north". That's quite a positive sign. It is possible to do it all part time as your finances dictate.
How to raise the cash? I worked 3-4 jobs, others drove haul packs in the mines.

Echelon6
16th Jul 2010, 08:01
20/20 vision and i'm all good for the air force. I just need a position, but that position that I need could only become available in 2 years so i'll need something in the mean time. I have heard positive and negative things about the Swinburne course and i'd much rather pay for my own flying or get fee help and not do the degree but I don't think that possible in Aus. I have had a look for scholarships into aviation and they only ones I can find are for GFPT only and that wont even put a dent in it.