PDA

View Full Version : The Islands??

norwester33
15th Jul 2010, 03:01
Hello all

Anyone got any info on some operators in the Pacific Islands.
For example Pacific Sun Fiji etc.
Got around 1400TT mostly single turbine and only 25 Multi IFR.
Do any of these companies hire expats or are they mostly locals, time required, conditions etc etc.
Any info would be appreciated as the next job is proving to be a harder choice as many of you know, theres a missus and two small ratbags coming aswell.
Thanks for your time.

Braviator
15th Jul 2010, 05:11
They're big on locals. Most of the operators aren't going that well, but I know there are a few skydive operators owned by Aussies and Kiwis that like to give their own a go. Might be worth a phone call.

norwester33
19th Jul 2010, 08:18
Thanks mate, not too many replys eh chaps....
:ugh:

The_Pharoah
19th Jul 2010, 08:32
hey mate

yep, what braviator said - PacSun are pro local however they do have quite a few expat crews esp for the ATR. From what I understand, if you're a local, entry requirements are a CPL + MECIR. I saw somewhere that D/E reqs for expats was around 3000 hrs with 1000 PIC or something so you might be outta luck with your TT. Plus, PacSun ain't doing very well at the moment - they did advertise for Twotter F/O's a few months ago but, with all thats happening with Air Pac ie. re losses, they will probably have a recruiting freeze for the immediate future.

However, even though Air Fiji went bust, there are two fledgling dom airlines starting up - 1. Nothern Air - I understand this is an airline flying out of Labasa which is owned by a current (or maybe ex) Air Pac Capt; and 2. Sunflower airlines (yes the airlines that was sold to Air Pac which is what Pac Sun is based on) - they are starting some charter work with 2 BN2's and some Cessnas.

The starting salary as F/O at PacSun is around $8k FJD....yes thats $8k. however if you do get in there...you're straight onto twins. Usual progression is approx 800 hrs on the Islander before bumping up to Twotter F/O for about 1000 hrs, then back to the Islander for command training and back to the Twotter then an option to go on the ATR. ROSO is about 2 years. There are still a few ex-Air Fiji pilots without jobs, however a lot of the Fiji pilots usually get jobs quite quickly at PacBlue or VB, or go straight to Air Pac given the twin time.

The above is what I've gleaned from this here forums and from my own contacts and may not be 100% accurate.

Good luck.

Pharoah :)

ps. I'm in Samoa at the moment and there's a Twotter flying out of here regularly for Polynesian Airlines - maybe you could try there. :ok:

The_Pharoah
19th Jul 2010, 08:40
mate you just might be in luck. I spotted this on the fijitimes website (which you need to be trolling):

PILOT VACANCY
Applications are invited from dedicated, motivated, disciplined and safety-oriented pilot who is willing to work for a company which owns a Cessna 172 aircraft.
The Qualifications and Minimum experience are detailed below:
QUALIFICATIONS:
• You must have Fiji Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) as minimum;
• You must have a Class 1 Medical Certificate;
• You should have at least 500 hrs flight time as a pilot and 25 hrs of night flight experience;
Applications
Written application should detail your experience, qualifications and other personal attributes which you consider would make you a suitable candidate for these positions. Remunerations and other conditions will be discussed during the interview.
Please forward your applications together with your contact details to:
Re : Pilot Vacancy
Managing Director
Outback Range Limited
GPO Box 12984 Suva
Applications will be closed, Thursday 22nd July, 2010.

apparently you can convert to a Fiji CPL quite easily. Again, good luck.:ok:

MyNameIsIs
19th Jul 2010, 12:13
Coral Sun Airways in Tarawa. Recent thread about them and a job advertisement in the Reporting Points section of DG&P.

Air Kiribati in Tarawa too, not sure what they need.

Solomon Airlines take CPL+MECIR freshies for Twotter F/O positions. $12K/yr but just about everything other than food and grog paid for. Not sure what it would really be like for families, but you wouldn't be the only expat one over there.

Tee Emm
19th Jul 2010, 14:38
Why not apply to Our Airline that flies 737-300's out of Brisbane. Good salary. Well maintained aircraft. VH rego's. Within a year they make you a cruise captain and you log fair dinkum command time (CASA approved as well) while the real captain is resting down the back and within three years you will have at least 1000 hours command time 737. That puts you in a pole position for Cathay Pacific, Dragonair and Singapore Airlines:ok:

MyNameIsIs
19th Jul 2010, 22:16
OA isn't a bad idea, TeeEmm.

Best to apply with ATPLs and time on aircraft over (or at least very close to) 5700kg though, otherwise you are probably going to have a tougher time standing out amongst other applicants. 500+ multi command too will help.

The tread starter's turbine experience is helpful, they look for that.

dodo whirlygig
20th Jul 2010, 05:30
Got this reply from OurAirline when I asked what their minimums were for F/O position. As MNIsIs suggests, I understood that turbine time is favourably looked upon. These are their MINIMUMS and I got the impression they get applications from people far better qualified than the minimums.

Minimum Total Time: 1000 hours command of which 500 shall be in multi-engine aircraft.
A minimum of 300 hours in aircraft above 5700 kgs.
A current First Class Airline Transport Licence or equivalent ICAO licence.
A Commercial Licence is acceptable provided credits for ATPL theory subjects have been achieved and are current.
Command Instrument Rating.

Eliminated me, for the time being at least. Pity as I've heard really good reports about them as an outfit although not real sure how good the F/O pay is compared to other airlines in Oz.

Tee Emm
20th Jul 2010, 12:39
Pity as I've heard really good reports about them as an outfit although not real sure how good the F/O pay is compared to other airlines in Oz.

Forget the pay. It could be less than a taxi driver (except it isn't and in fact is good money) but the big attraction is within a year or so they make you a captain (cruise) and you log in command on a big jet and apparently all legal. The real captain takes it easy down the back and the cruise captain logs command. - not ICUS but actual command. . The captain also logs command at same time so you have two pilots logging command at the same time but it's legal..
The airline has an excellent safety reputation and flies to exotic Pacific destinations.

puff
20th Jul 2010, 12:56
Nauru and Honiara are 'exotic' ? Forget Tahiti honey we're going to Nauru !

All tongue in cheek Tee Emm :)

Deaf
20th Jul 2010, 14:29
Talking to Solair people they have a fair turnover. As stated, CPL + MECIR = FO, then quickly 1,000 PIC hrs twin turbine

hueyshuffle
21st Jul 2010, 14:36
Deaf, RE: Solair, I tried google but could only find a Honduran company which used to be called Solair? Were you talking about this one or another?

Killer Loop
21st Jul 2010, 15:25
They have changed their name to Solomon Airlines.....try googling that. Gibson Galo is the Chief and a good bloke too.

hueyshuffle
22nd Jul 2010, 03:47
Cheers for the KL. Landing a job on a pacific island sounds about perfect to me right now.

The_Pharoah
22nd Jul 2010, 03:56
HL

just be sure you research where you're going to stay (assume you get a job in a pac island). After spending the last two weeks in Samoa, I couldn't wait to get out of there! (no offense to the lovely people, location and weather).

hueyshuffle
22nd Jul 2010, 04:40
Pharaoh, will do. Pretty desperate for a job at the moment though so will probably sleep in a hammock for 12-18 months quite happily. Anything interesting happening in Samoa?

The_Pharoah
22nd Jul 2010, 08:20
dunno 'bout Samoa - happened to see the Inter Island Air Dornier come and go but they're not hiring per Inter Island Airways - PILOT CAREER CENTRE (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/AirCarrier.aspx?id=2012).

napiersabre
4th Aug 2010, 14:31
huey shuffle, any luck with Solomon Airlines?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and starting to get desperate.

Cheers

R.Cruizo
5th Aug 2010, 13:44
Hi Guys & Gals,
Air Marshall Islands use to take expats in the past. Dornier 228's and a Dash 8.

Air Kiribati as mentioned by someone aswell , CASA 212 and BN2.

There use to be a company called Vanair in Vanuatu but I think it's part of Air Vanuatu now. Dash 8, DHC6 and BN2.

Just to add some spice: try the Indian Ocean.

A company called Islands( air?) I think based in Maldives. Not the float plane operators. They operated Dash 8 & Dornier 228's.

My information is around 6 years old but more food for thought.

Good luck everyone, most enjoyable 5 years of my career.

Cheers RC :ok:

PS. PM me if you need any more info, but as I said, it's quite a few years ago I operated in these areas.