PDA

View Full Version : AOPA FI Seminar revalidation question

Deputy Dog
15th Jul 2010, 02:18
Hi,

I am booked for the AOPA FI Seminar at Booker on July 20th and 21st and noticed the following requirements ...

Clear log book evidence of having completed either: An FI or IRI proficiency check within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating

Or

50 instructional hours during the three years preceding the expiry date of the rating including 15 hours in the preceding 12 months (note revised ours(3/08).

I have the 50 instructional hours during the three years but NOT 15 hours in the preceding 12 months (have about 12) :uhoh:

Can I still renew my FI rating via a seminar or do I have to do a flight test instead? My FI rating is still valid until August this year.

Regards

DD:):)

Oktas8
15th Jul 2010, 02:53
FI(A) Revalidation
For the holder of a FI(A) to revalidate the rating they must complete 2 of the following requirements:
a. Complete at least 50 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes as FI, CRI, IRI or as Examiner during the period of validity of the rating, including at least 15 hours of flight instruction within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the FI rating, 10 hours of this 15 hours shall be instruction for an IR if the privileges to instruct for an IR are to be revalidated.
b. Attend a FI refresher seminar approved by the Authority within the validity period of the FI rating.
c. Pass a FI (A) proficiency check within the 12 months preceding the expiry of the FI rating.
d. For at least each alternate revalidation of a FI(A) rating the holder shall pass a proficiency check. The first revalidation after initial issue of the rating shall include a proficiency check as one of the requirements. Thereafter, a proficiency check shall be included as one of the requirements at least every alternate revalidation.

Whopity
15th Jul 2010, 06:46
Can I still renew my FI rating via a seminar or do I have to do a flight test instead? My FI rating is still valid until August this year.Provided you get your 15 hours before your rating expires and you get an FIE to sign it before it expires, then you can revalidate by experience and the Seminar. If you go beyond the expiry date without the hours and or the signature you will have to do a test within 12 months of completing the Seminar to renew the rating.

When revalidating by Seminar you can attend it at any time during the 3 year validity, so it is quite common for candidates to leave with a certificate and no the rating page unsigned.