PDA

View Full Version : Potential ID problem

frequentflyer2
13th Jul 2010, 20:50
Four years ago I had to give up driving because of sleep apnoea. Since then I've used my passport as photographic ID when flying from NI to England, Scotland or Wales. My passport is now due for renewal. Mrs. FF who does not have a driving licence is also due to renew her passport. I know there are fast tracking services but they cost a fortune. Are we basically grounded while our passports are away? Is there any way round it in extreme circumstances? My 82 year old mother and the rest of my family live in West Yorkshire. Could we fly if it was an out and out emergency?

call100
13th Jul 2010, 22:25
You are best using the Post Office 'Check and send' service. They do all the checking of the form and photo etc which cuts out most of the delays in applying....Usual turnaround is 2 weeks, obviously dependent on demand....
Only other alternative is to spend the money on a fast tracker.....:sad:

Anansis
13th Jul 2010, 22:49
You could look into getting a citizen card. I used to own one for buying alcohol in the days before I could grow a beard(!). Not sure how much they cost but heres a link;

CitizenCard Proof of Age - ID card, UK national ID Card, UK identity card, photo ID, citizen card, airline ID, proof of age, UK ID card, official ID, identity card, flight ID, YAP, flight identity, proof of identity citizencard, citizen card, photo I (http://www.citizencard.com/)

Check the terms and conditions with the airline before booking tickets though. Easyjet and Flybe definately accept them as ID for internal travel but I'm not sure about other airlines (I'm pretty sure Ryanair insist on passports).:ok:

TSR2
13th Jul 2010, 23:43
Just a point.

Does your passport have to be valid as proof of identification for domestic flights.

EISNN
14th Jul 2010, 00:32
Yes your passport has to be 'in date' to used as a valid form of ID for air travel. some airlines like mentioned above don't accept national identity cards so be careful there. passport is the best option all round. Hope you get sorted.

call100
14th Jul 2010, 01:05
Don't forget the National Identity card scheme has been abandoned and any money spent on them will not be refunded.......Oh and they will not be much use...:D:ok:

jimtherev
14th Jul 2010, 08:19
Some years ago, stepson did the walkabout thing - Oz, Thailand, points east, and at one point - well away from any Brit consulate - had his docs & money stolen from allegedly 'secure' storage.

Fortunately, fussy parent syndrome had overcome his objections, and good colour photocopies of passport & trav. cheques had been taken and attested to by a Commisioner for Oaths. It gave him sufficient authentication to get back to Sydney from back of beyond: even airlines nodded him through, and Amex cheques were awaiting his arrival in Sydney.

Worth a couple of phone calls?

HXdave
15th Jul 2010, 13:13
FrequentFlyer, as your profile says you reside in the BFS area, i presume should you urgently need to make your way to Sunny West Yorkshire, you would use the Flybe route. this is the info from their system regarding ID.

Domestic/Republic of Ireland travel

All passengers, adults, children and infants, travelling to the Republic of Ireland must have a form of ID which proves their nationality / citizenship for immigration purposes.

A valid passport
An expired passport (can be used on domestic flights for up to two years after expiry)
Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
Valid photographic driving licence
Valid armed forces identity card
Valid police warrant card/badge
Valid airport employees security identity pass
A child on parent’ s passport is an acceptable form of ID
CitizenCard
Valid photographic firearm certificate
Valid Government-issued identity card
SMART card
Electoral identity card
NUS cards photographic (National Union of Students)
Photographic University/College ID card
Company ID cards of Nationally recognised companies (photographic)
Council issued bus pass (Senior Citizens only)
Pension book (as only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
Young Scot Card
I trust that there would be something in the list that would cover you (includind EXPIRED PASSPORTS!)

Paphian
15th Jul 2010, 15:48
An interesting subject. In Cyprus we now have to send our British passports to Madrid to be renewed at a cost of 40 Euros extra.
My Wife and I have Cyprus ID cards, but Cyprus airport immigration will not accept them as we are Aliens. We have used them at Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Copenhagen and Aarhus in Denmark , now Border Agency at heathrow reject them because we are Aliens in Cyprus not Cypriots. I took this mater up with the border agency but they gave me that answer. The cards are photo with chip and have all details on them. at first they were pleased to accept them.
Also my Wife has AKA ( " also known as "endorsement in her passport chipped and stamped by the embassy, and we were advised by a relative who was a diplomat.in the passport service.
However to get the staff to accept this is is a problem, Firstly what is AKA (although it is in the passport) then they have to take the passport out back or make phone calls, before accepting it.:ugh:
I feel that the staff should be better trained

Anansis
16th Jul 2010, 01:07
Don't forget the National Identity card scheme has been abandoned and any money spent on them will not be refunded.......Oh and they will not be much use...:Dhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

The citizencard is not the same as the national identity card. It was introduced mainly so that young people could verify their age when going to the movies or buying cigarettes and alcohol. Anyone regardless of age can get one and I think they cost around £15 and they can be quite handy to have. Not sure if this is what you were getting at but having re-read my original post I'm not sure that I made this clear.

One thing for the OP to bear in mind is that when you apply for a new passport you have to send your old one away with it. Even though some airlines accept expired passports for travel there will be a window when you are witthout (although I'm sure most people will have at least a couple of the forms of ID on the list HXdave supplied).

Alsacienne
16th Jul 2010, 06:08
Four years ago I had to give up driving because of sleep apnoea.

Sorry to hear this, BUT if you are successfully managing CPAP therapy and have 'compliance' you can get it back and life can return to normal for you ....

Sorry if this is seen to be OFF TOPIC but OSA is serious, even life-threatening, but can be managed successfully so that you don't miss out on driving.