PDA

View Full Version : PPL from USA in Sydney - share hours/cost?

elaineo
13th Jul 2010, 20:33
Greetings,

I have a PPL from the US, with about 300 hours mostly in single engine Cessnas and Pipers. I am a visiting scholar at the University of Sydney this year, and am looking into getting checked out to fly here. I will most likely join Schofields out of Bankstown after reading some reviews here.

I was very shocked at how high the aircraft rates are out here :eek: I'm not trying to build hours and I don't have airline transport pilot aspirations, I just want to see what it's like to fly out here :) I was wondering if there are other pilots interested in sharing flight time and splitting costs. If this isn't the right place to look, could someone direct me to the correct forum?

Cheers,
Elaine

Owen Stanley
13th Jul 2010, 23:49
Elaine,

Not only are the rates high, you will get to fly 30+ year old aircraft for the priviledge of handing over your money :ugh:

I personally don't think looking on pprune will find you the best hour sharing partners. I'd suggest that finding the school you are most comfortable with then telling them what you want. They will have students/PPL's in a similar position to yourself and go from there :ok:

Oh, and Class E airspace as you know it is not exactly Class E in Australia, be careful of that, you might find yourself on the end of an ESIR :ugh:

VH-XXX
14th Jul 2010, 00:05
With the conversion rate from USD to Australian Peso in your favour, our hourly rates are a cafe lunch for you guys.

Ted D Bear
14th Jul 2010, 07:08
Elaine

If you join Schoies (that will cost you too :uhoh:), you can put a 'classified' on their website (Schofields Flying Club Home Page (http://www.schofields-flying-club.com.au/)) inviting other pilots to contact you if they're interested in sharing.

Ted

TLAW
14th Jul 2010, 07:40

Peter Fanelli
14th Jul 2010, 09:20
Not only are the rates high, you will get to fly 30+ year old aircraft for the priviledge of handing over your money

Get over it.

Ted D Bear
14th Jul 2010, 10:33
Elaine

Check your private messages (PMs)

Ted

elaineo
14th Jul 2010, 18:11
Thanks very much for the replies!

I don't mind flying 30+ year old aircraft, as rentals tend to be older all over the world :)

The USD is only about 1.1 AUD these days... it was almost 2x AUD about ten years ago. Hiring aircraft would have been cheap back then :)

I sent a message to Schofield's a couple days ago but have not gotten a response... I will probably just drop by the airport next weekend.

Do pilots down here fly from the left seat or the right?? :confused:

mates rates
14th Jul 2010, 22:33
normally the L/H seat but there is no legal requirement for that.

frigatebird
14th Jul 2010, 22:49
Elaine
In the interests of American/Australian good relations, you can fly my old H model on a local flight from the left seat as long as I am in the right..! when you get to Queensland..

elaineo
15th Jul 2010, 21:15
frigatebird -
be careful, i might find my way to QLD and take you up on that! :E