PDA

View Full Version : Car GPS Display in DXB/SHJ

IndAir967
11th Jul 2010, 19:48
New to Dubai..
Recently Purchased a Garmin GPS for my car.
The display language suddenly changes to Arabic in certain parts of
Dubai and in most parts of sharjah while driving through.
Also I have found the Automotive GPS to be tremendously accurate on the
other side of the planet (assuming you are in dubai) .. how accurate is it
on our side ??

(ps. one thread to keep the EK, EY & QR management out ;) )

Goodday :ok:

CEP
12th Jul 2010, 06:20
Heya

Have a couple of Nuvi 215's that I purchased a couple of years back. Don't ever remember them changing languages, but somewhere a bell is ringing....do yourself a favour though, if you bought one with the GCC maps preloaded, you should be able to get a free download map update on the Garmin website once you have registered your unit. That might sort the problem out...that bell is ringing louder..... If there is no free upgrade, you'll have to fork out $139 for a onetime or $199 for lifetime map upgrade. And do upgrade, I can assure you that the roads/maps have changed since they were pre-installed on your unit!!!!! Especially since they are getting round to actually giving street names at last, not just a "location"!!
You'll find that if you do have the latest maps installed, your GPS will have no problem at all, it's pretty darned accurate....until you have to take a detour around road works or drive on a road that doesn't exist on the map:E

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Jul 2010, 07:21
I still have to take a boat ride to cross, and for some reason my NAV gets confused.......must get update for the floating bridge.

glf

IndAir967
12th Jul 2010, 07:58
thanks guys for the contribution...

I ve realised just purchasing the GPS alone does not help :sad:...

If pilots could make money like the way Garmin or Norton does :hmm:

Oh yeah guess my resttime is over back to requesting direct to :rolleyes:

Bonne Landings :ok: