PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly poor media 'reporting' on Afghinstan casualties

Andu
10th Jul 2010, 00:35
Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/australian-soldier-killed-in-afghanistan/story-e6frg6n6-1225890095264)

CHIEF of the Defence Force air chief marshal Angus Houston has confirmed a member of the 1st Mentoring Task Force has been killed.

Mr Houston said the soldier was killed by an improvised explosives device in Afghanistan just before midnight (AEST) last night.Am I the only one to be a little miffed to see the Australian CDF referred to as "Mr" Houston and his rank ("air chief marshal Angus Houston) appearing in small case?

onetrack
10th Jul 2010, 03:28
No... and this following address is the one to send the outraged response to; whereby you can decry, the ever-decreasing capability of journalists, to get even basic details, correct... :rolleyes:

mailto:letters @ theaustralian.com.au

...but ensure you get Afghanistan spelt correctly, and all your syntax and grammar correct, before you send a missive... :) :ok:

Ray Dahvectac
10th Jul 2010, 05:28
I was more surprised to see that the ACM does not have a Knighthood.

Have we stopped awarding them to Australians (or have they stopped accepting them) since they move ever further towards the edges of the Commonwealth?

L J R
10th Jul 2010, 06:13
Gents, with respect, although the media may have got it all wrong. Please let those who have made the ultimate sacrifice rest in peace. Those who have participated in this activity on a daily basis for some time don't actually care about the media. The media is biased anyway, and the families, friends, combat brothers and colleagues need time to grip the loss of their own.
RIP mate.....I will continue to work for you and yours.

Senior Pilot
10th Jul 2010, 07:09
I was more surprised to see that the ACM does not have a Knighthood.

Have we stopped awarding them to Australians (or have they stopped accepting them) since they move ever further towards the edges of the Commonwealth?Not since 1976, with the introduction of the Order of Australia. AK and AD (Knight and Dame) were abolished by Bob Hawke in 1986.

ACM Houston is a Companion of the Order of Australia (AO), the highest award in the Order.

Ray Dahvectac
10th Jul 2010, 08:41
Thanks. The Aussies are more egalitarian than I thought. :)

Fubaar
10th Jul 2010, 09:08
SkyNews tonight: Air Marshall Angus Houston(!)