PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter pilot demand in WA, government list.

bellsux
8th Jul 2010, 10:03
From the perthnow website and dtwd.wa.gov.au

ARCHITECTS, panelbeaters, midwives, drug counsellors and shearers are just a handful of jobs that are in high demand in WA, according to the state's first comprehensive priority occupation list.

The list rates each job in the state as either top priority, high priority or priority, with each job assessed by estimated demand, skill level required and the potential for employment growth in the future.

For example a job categorised as a top priority, for example pilots, have very large levels of employment, high forecast growth and evident wage pressures, high levels of skill and longer education or training lead times.

The State Priority Occupation List is the first comprehensive list to be produced in WA and will be updated annually. The Federal Government also produces a priority occupation list, which was recently released.

Training and Workforce Development Minister Peter Collier said the list would be a valuable tool in ensuring WA could attract and retain a skilled workforce.

“The State priority occupation list identifies jobs that are currently in strong demand in WA,”
Mr Collier said.

“The list will be used for many purposes and inform decisions relating to the prioritisation of funding for training and the WA workforce development plan.

“Occupations have been assessed by estimated demand, skill level required and the potential for employment growth into the future.”

In addition to the priority occupation list, the Department of Training and Workforce Development will collate a State Migration Plan, which will include a Skilled Migration Occupation list that identifies occupations recommended for generation migration into WA.

Which jobs are top priority?

Managers
Chief information officer, child care centre manager, engineering manager, ICT project manager, nursing clinical director, mine production manager, supply and distribution manager, transport company manager

Professionals
Accountant (general), external auditor, aeroplane pilot, architect, chemical engineer, chemist, flying instructor, helicopter pilot, metallurgist, veterinarian, chiropractor, midwife, registered nurse, physiotherapist, drug and alcohol counsellor, social worker.

Technicians and trades workers
Civil engineering draftsperson, chemistry technician, electronic engineering technician, maintenance planner, mine deputy, automotive technician, fitter and turner, locksmith, panelbeater, vehicle painter, carpenter, roof plumber, baker, chef, cook, shearer.

Community and personal service workers
Ambulance officers, dental technician, teachers aide, police officer, prison officer.

Northernstar
8th Jul 2010, 10:42
Yet my most recent application to CHC Australia was immediately rejected as I did not already have a visa even though had I been offered a job then a visa would have been forthcoming.......

Heliringer
8th Jul 2010, 11:01
Check the DIMIA webpage for migration info and the skilled migration list: I'm pretty sure that Helicopter Pilot is not on the list regardless of what the WA one states

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/new-list-of-occupations.pdf

piggybank
8th Jul 2010, 12:33
Northernstar, you will find HR section of CHC Adelaide to be out of the ordinary negative for foreign applicants. I assume they do have plenty of applicants from within Australia. I got the same treatment, but I did try a few times which probably p##sed them off in the end.

Heliringer
8th Jul 2010, 12:49
This is an ad for a position in Australia.

Applications are invited from suitably qualified pilots holding command and considerable experience in multi engine IFR aircraft, ideally AW139, EC145 or B412 helicopters, for our EMS base at Bankstown in Sydney, New South Wales.

Minimum requirements:

- Total 2,500 hours helicopter
- 500 hours Pilot In Command (Multi Engine)
- 1500 hours Pilot in Command (Turbine)
- MUST hold valid Australian CASA license
- Australian Command Instrument Rating with 3 renewals
- Australian ATPL(H)
- Australian Aviation Medical Class 1
- MUST hold Australian residency or Australian working visa We are looking for new pilots with strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, the ability to work as an effective member of a highly professional organisation, the ability to comprehend and apply technical instruction and possess competent flying skills in visual and instrument conditions. Pilots are required to establish permanent residence within 1 hour's drive of the CHC Australia's Sydney EMS Base at Bankstown.

Experience on multi-engine and/or multi-pilot helicopters in an EMS role will be an advantage.

CHC Helicopters (Australia) offer:

- Very latest in aircraft, equipment and technology
- Secure, long term employment with a great company
- A wide variety of interesting and challenging work
- Good working conditions and lifestyle opportunities
- Scope for further career development

If you meet the criteria above and looking to take the next step in your career, apply on-line now.

Please be aware that applications without the minimum requirements cannot be considered for this position. Drug and alcohol testing will form part of the recruitment process.

Did you see the bit I highlighted? They will not/don't need to sponsor applicants because there are plenty of qualified pilots who are Australians or have Residency.

Demented
8th Jul 2010, 20:15
Went and got my Aus ATPL, have +500 hrs 139, 8000hrs plus mainly twin IFR and hardly received an answer from the majority of AUS companys.....what to do. Pay is cr** in any case.:ugh:

Heliringer
18th Jul 2010, 06:50
Demented: An offshore Captain in Australia is earning well over $100,000 dollars some are getting up around $180,000 as management pilots (C+T). That's on a equal time roster, good cash for 6 months work per year.

I don't think that is crap pay as per you statement.

Which country are you working in and what is the Offshore industry there paying?

It would be nice to see a comparison

Demented
18th Jul 2010, 09:05
Hi Heliringer,

Was having a bad day when I posted......bit disappointed that I am not having any joy with answers, never mind offers. BTW working in the ME and getting about $115k US for 6/6.....tax free. Only possible bite from Aus was about $100 AUD full time before tax, not offshore. Do understand offshore is better paid but how does one get something there?

hueyracer
18th Jul 2010, 09:39
Would LOVE to take over your ME-job...

Seems to be impossible nowadays to find a well-paid job to earn your living...

Too many "will fly for food"-signholders out there.....

MartinCh
31st Jul 2010, 17:04
direct link to that PDF is here (http://dtwd.wa.gov.au/dtwd/detcms/cms-service/download/asset/?asset_id=9946835)

Funny it mentions pretty much all flight crew.

Thing with Australian immigration system is, just like Canada, that there is strong drive to get more people to regional Australia, ie outside Sydney and Melbourne and their suburbs. It may differ from federal MODL/Critical shortage list. When I looked into Victoria's own immigration stream, if I could call it that way, I didn't notice any difference to federal/general immigration job list.

Just like Victoria, there could be extra points and 'priority handling' if going through one of the state migration streams. It'd get processed in Adelaide AFAIK anyway, but people can get extra points for regional Australia, ie with job offer from there.

Nice to see some changes towards flight crew. Anyway, without experience (measured in years of employment), one won't get enough points, even for regional Australia with jobs. Australia is quite restrictive regarding age as well.

As an example I would mention 'gliding instructor' for Southland/Otago in NZ, as regional immediate shortage list. Not overall, not long therm skills shortage, but they put it there as and when needed.
Just like the WA's updated Skills shortage list.

Good news for experienced pilots who can, with job offer from school or charter company etc, sort their emigration visa. I'll be watching this closely next year or two.

EDIT: Heliringer,
HERE (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule4.pdf) you can find 'Schedule 4', ie the most current Skills shortage list for immigration applications that are (QUOTE) relevant only for GSM applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory government agency under a State Migration Plan. Pretty much in line with what I said earlier before I checked it out on DI&C website. The central one. Formerly known as DIMIA, DIMA etc. They seem to like changing the name of the department/ministry every year or so.
Smart move, using Immi . gov. au for Department of Immigration & Citizenship (http://www.immi.gov.au) instead of the D-something abbreviation. Quite funny. Now it should be 'DIC', considering 'of' and 'and' don't make it as letters into D-something, but it'd just be DIAC.