PDA

View Full Version : UK AAIB July 2010 [No Helicopters]

VeeAny
8th Jul 2010, 08:12
As the title suggest nothing to see this month, I thought the title might save people thinking it had been forgotten or opening a thread that says nothing !

stringfellow
8th Jul 2010, 08:24
thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

im waiting anxiously to read a publication on an accident that happened last summer. although the aaib is clearly peppered with immensely skilled individuals whom we must thank for keeping us safe i find the time taken to publish reports scandalous. i dread to think about how much these delays must cost the tax payer.

212man
8th Jul 2010, 10:31
although the aaib is clearly peppered with immensely skilled individuals whom we must thank for keeping us safe i find the time taken to publish reports scandalous

Might I suggest that you phone them up and ask for a visit? Perhaps you might gain some insight into how such a scandalous situation has been allowed to perpetuate unchecked for so long! :ugh:

Quite apart from anything else that's involved, has it crossed your mind that often there is a considerable delay between the report draft being completed and then the various 'interested' parties reviewing it, providing feedback or disagreement, the report being amended (possibly,) agreed upon and then published?

If you take a trawl through various other Investigation Branch websites (BEA, NTSB, TSB etc) and look at their reports, you will see there is always a lengthy delay. Some of the Dutch helicopter ones take absolutely years!

stringfellow
10th Jul 2010, 18:58
thanks for the reply 212 man. i would be fascinated to look round the aaib facility at some stage but not at the expense of someone whose time would be more appropriately spent investigating accidents, perhaps they have volunteers to show visitors round??? it would be a marvellous insight and a rare priviledge to see such skilled people at work.

let me explore my broader concern. you mention interested parties and time taken to ammend reports. well i for one know all the interested parties in a certain accident and can assure you a thorough but prompt report is far more comforting than one which explores every last nut and bolt but takes an eternity to be published. you state the process of reviewing initial reports takes time as if that process is set in stone... review the process and ask how it can be speeded up. whats wrong with getting all parties to attend a review day in person, or setting say a months deadline???

i am brimming with admiration for the work the aaib do, a fabulous beacon who must have saved countless lives. and yes where there is a technical issue with a common aircraft then take years, search under every stone, break the bank if need be because this is in the public interest.

but in the context of a light aircraft accident fatal all the interested parties want is a proffessional, thorough report that hopefully vindicates their loved ones and means they can seek closure and their insurance money. how can this possibly, under any circumstances take more than say three months??

safe flying to you all.