PDA

View Full Version : Elba??? Nz Atpl Nav Aids.

spudschickenlegs
7th Jul 2010, 22:52
Hello Fellow Aviators.

I am Leaving This A bit late because my exam is tomorow but I was

wondering if anyone can help me with a ATPL NAV AIDs question.

In The ASL Practice Exam I Had a question asking About ELBA tests.

I imagne this stands for Emergency Locator Beacon something.

The correct answer was "No Airborne Tests Permitted"

My Text Books Have Not covered This, Can someone please explain what

This ELBA is and when you can test it.

Cheers.

P.S. I am using the ATC books and the IFR NAV AIDS books. THis ELBA

might be in the ppsc study material.

Professional Amateur
7th Jul 2010, 23:51
Then try:
CAO 20.11 -6
CAR 252A(7)
CAR 4A

Good luck

scroogee
8th Jul 2010, 02:18
You're doing ATPL nav aids and don't know what an ELBA is? anyhoo...

Assuming you are doing subjects before flying so- yes an ELBA is the emergency locator beacon.

It is a beacon that is designed to activate following a crash (has a 'g' switch), or may be activated manually (switch on the beacon and a remote switch in the cockpit). The old version broadcast on 121.50 and 243 MHz, the new ones on 121.5 and 406 MHz (might still be wrong on the 121.5 bit, but think some still do for VHF line-of-sight location) and now have encoded data (aircraft rego, owners details etc). The beacon has it's own battery power supply and aircraft aerial as well as a seperate aerial that may be attached if the beacon is removed from the aircraft.

Testing can only be carried out on the ground within the frst 5 minutes of each hour (and I think for 3 sweeps only).

Professional Amateur
8th Jul 2010, 03:44
Scrooge,

whats the reference for that....for my own knowledge.

Thanks

Nikai
8th Jul 2010, 23:23
Guessing its probably a bit late now, but in case anyone else is sitting the exam soon that is using the older texts - I know that information about ELBA featured in the old syllabus for ATPL Instruments and Navaids - but from memory of recently going through each of the syllabus items in prep for the exam (which I sat this week) I don't think it is covered in the exam anymore - think it is now covered at CPL and IFR levels instead.

The syllabus was updated in June or July last year and anyone studying of the texts that are a few years old might want to review the current content so that they focus on the right info. About 60% of the data in one of the books that I had was still relevant, its just a matter of picking and choosing the bits that are still in the syllabus!!

Most of the magnetism stuff is gone, as is alot of the gyro related stuff (apart from RLG) and radio propagation, more EFIS/EICAS/FD/FMS & Warnings/Comms related stuff now.

Good luck!

(Ref ELBA - Page 14 - http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/GEN_3.6.pdf)

angel83
1st May 2012, 04:06
Hello Everyone!

I am currently studying for this too..with the ppcl book...not that much fun !

Would you have any other tips or advises for me? should take the test soon

thanks!

Checkboard
1st May 2012, 11:16
I don't think it is covered in the exam anymore - think it is now covered at CPL and IFR levels instead.

... but cannot the ATPL exams include any syllabus from lower level exams? :)