PDA

View Full Version : Rejuvenating "Torque-Seal"

criticalmass
7th Jul 2010, 00:58
Have a few tubes of orange "Torque-Seal" which have gone a bit stiff and "plasticene-like" in the tubes. Anyone know how to re-liquify them or do we just chuck 'em?

SomeGuyOnTheDeck
7th Jul 2010, 02:57
Anyone know how to re-liquify them or do we just chuck 'em?
At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, I'd say it depends what you are proposing to use them for. If you want to use them on a wheelbarrow, I'd suggest you try whatever solvent seems to work (acetone, petrol, vodka?), but on an aircraft - chuck 'em out...

criticalmass
7th Jul 2010, 16:01
Tried toluene, partially successful. Will try acetone next, followed by Avgas (new, improved "Torque-Seal", now with lead!). Any one else have something to offer?

SomeGuyOnTheDeck
7th Jul 2010, 23:48
Actually, thinking about it, if it doesn't tell you what the solvent is on the label, you might be able to get an idea from the smell.

I'm not sure this is a good idea for anything critical though. If it flakes or something, you may end up having to replace it all. I am right in thinking it's only purpose is to show whether a fitting has been tampered with? If it is supposed to actually hold the fastener (like Loctite etc), I certainly wouldn't try to 'revive' it if I was going to use it on anything more important than a toilet door hinge...;)

criticalmass
8th Jul 2010, 06:31
"Torque-Seal" is just a visual indicator that a fastener or component has remained undisturbed since it was applied. A thin bead is usually laid across the surfaces (such as a nut on the end of a bolt, of the bottom of an oil-filter against the fitting etc) and this facilitates a quick visual inspection.

Haven't tried the acetone yet but that is a pretty decent organic solvent. The toluene did soften it up to the point it would extrude from the nozzle.

johngreen
8th Jul 2010, 07:52
You might find some very useful information here...

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA503162&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

jg

Ex Cargo Clown
8th Jul 2010, 14:34
I believe the solvent is ethyl alcohol, so that should work, if not methanol certainly will.

criticalmass
9th Jul 2010, 13:16
Excellent information, and a good excuse to make a cocktail of ethanol-methanol (which I shall call "ethmeth") for a test. Thanks to all who contributed. :)