PDA

View Full Version : Short field takeoff

martinhauptman007
6th Jul 2010, 17:53
Hi!

I was reading the Piloting Basic Handbook the other dayand I came across an interesting statement: it says in the book, that you shouldn't hold your brakes and rev up the engine when you perform a short field takeoff as it doesn't make a difference in rwy used in a piston engine acft. Is this true?

Thank you!

JUST-local
6th Jul 2010, 18:36
The only book you should use regarding the piloting of your aircraft is the APPROVED flight manual.

If the POH tells me to use full power against the brakes I do it!

JL.

From the Cessna 150 approved flight manual.

Maximum performance take-off.
(1) Wing flaps -- up.
(2) Carb. heat -- cold.
(3) Brakes -- Hold.
(4) Throttle -- Full "OPEN"
(5) Brakes -- Release
(6) Elevator Control -- Slightly tail low.
(7) Climb speed -- 68mph (with obstacles ahead)

The Piper Warrior is similar but gives much more detail and the option to use different flap settings and speeds.

superdunkaroos
15th Jul 2010, 17:13
no, there will always be a difference and this will vary depending upon the conditions present(temp,surface,winds)

try it yourself next time you go up, request for circuits and see what happens

:D

smangnall
16th Jul 2010, 02:11
One of the reasons that you should run up the power against the brakes is to check that the engine is operating correctly and providing sufficient RPM before commencing the take off run as once you have started hurtling down the runway and realise that the RPM is too low it's too late! This may or may not of course concur with the POH.

welliewanger
16th Jul 2010, 09:26
Holding on the brakes in a piston aircraft only saves a small ammount of runway (the time it takes for the prop to spin up is just a couple of seconds). If your TODR / TODA are so critical that this is an issue, maybe you should rethink the departure.

Using the brakes will save you some runway, and could (as has been pointed out above) give you extra time to check Ts&Ps etc.