PDA

View Full Version : New Pilot - Which Union?

dudduddud
5th Jul 2010, 10:41
If you have just graduated and havn't got your first job yet, which is the best union to join?

I hear that some unions aren't interested in the newbys and that others are just completly useless.

Any ideas? Does it depend what part of the country you are in or what sort of flying you think you will be doing?

Cheers

VH-XXX
5th Jul 2010, 11:17
None.

People who join unions are usually Labor supporters. The less the better. Don't feed the trolls.

Ian Cognito
5th Jul 2010, 11:19
your name sums them up!!!!

The Green Goblin
5th Jul 2010, 12:25
Im an AFAP member, and a Liberal supporter so go figure???

The MBF is the reason why I'm a member and of course if I ever need a helping hand. I don't go to meetings or let anyone in the company know I am a member however :p

wombat_keeper
5th Jul 2010, 13:16
My theory on unions has always been that unless your permanantly employed ( actually have a job to protect ~ opposed to being contract or casual ) in a reasonably large organisation alongside other other union members your wasting your money.
Unions in my opinion choose not to bother chasing small time operators which is probably where you'll be starting your career.

The flip side is if there was a united unionised presence in the entry level of G.A then there would probably be less companies operating and less jobs for only marginly more pay.

Having said that however i don't think any one should be forced to or volunteer to work for less than the award.
Im just trying to illustrate the realities of the transport game.

Im with the TWU working in a ground position in RPT.
In these sorts of jobs union members really get looked after more than the above mentioned, Im getting all the benifits that come with the airline life and making more than a rex captain ( thats how i can afford to own an aircraft and fly privately).

By the way if it wasn't for work choices i would of voted liberal don't think that just because your in a union your a commie at heart !!

God bless the TWU :}

TBM-Legend
5th Jul 2010, 22:10
Unions are oh so last century....

YouTube - Strawbs - Part of the Union (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ_qjPHVL-Y&feature=related)

hardNfast
5th Jul 2010, 23:38
The Union Pilot (http://www.unionpilot.org/)

Should help you make to decision to join the union. Good funny site for whoever made it and actually makes some valid points.

My theory on unions has always been that unless your permanantly employed ( actually have a job to protect ~ opposed to being contract or casual ) in a reasonably large organisation alongside other other union members your wasting your money.
Unions in my opinion choose not to bother chasing small time operators which is probably where you'll be starting your career.

The latest AFAP news letter amongst other things had 3 examples of them helping some employees get their entitlements back. The employees worked for a Qld Aero Club, Moorabbin Flying School, and NT Company. All sounded like small GA organisations to me.

j3pipercub
6th Jul 2010, 06:10
I am a swing voter, predominantly Labor, should I only be a union member when I vote Labor.

The Union Pilot website is fantastic.

Braviator
6th Jul 2010, 07:08
Hahaha. Love the site!