PDA

View Full Version : RAF NCA to AAC Pilot

WannabeCrewman
3rd Jul 2010, 17:38
Evening gents, considering the wealth of knowledge on here, figured it was worth asking;

EDIT - I am not planning to go for Pilot, I am merely trying to find out how things work, as I have heard several things from several people and wanted to gain some clarity in the matter. Please do not take this post as me considering NCA as second best, or that it is "the easier option" - this is not the case, the purpose is so I can better understand things, as I am somewhat confused at the moment.

Last March I attended the RAF Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Cranwell, applying for both Pilot and NCO Aircrew trades. Having passed all the required aptitude, problem solving, leadership and interview stages, I was found medically unfit on anthroprogenic grounds for Pilot; measurements showed my legs to be 14mm too long for bang seats.

However, aside of my femur length, the rest of my medical was fine, and I was offered NCA. I have accepted this offer, with training beginning in January 2011. However, having spoken to several people, I have been told that should I still wish to persue the Pilot trade in later years, I should consider applying to the AAC, as either an NCO transferring from the RAF (as I understand some of the AAC pilots are NCOs), or to apply for a Commission. The other option I have been told is to apply to the FAA or appeal against the RAF Medical Board decision, citing a request to go specifically down the ME/RW route - although this sounds incredibly unlikely.

Are you able to offer any advice as to what I should do should I wish to apply to the AAC in the future, whilst still as RAF NCA and whether or not the AAC would accept me if my only medical issue was my leg length?

I dont have any problem flying Grobs, they are a bit of a squeeze but I can still fly the thing alright, so one presumbs using EFTS a/c wouldnt be an issue.

Cheers for any advice,
Matt.

vecvechookattack
3rd Jul 2010, 17:42
Im no expert on RAF selection procedures but given the opportunity to choose between being an Officer and NCA then being an Officer wins every time. Don't opt for second best

Tourist
3rd Jul 2010, 18:01
At the risk of inviting banter, may I ask why you would go NCA in the RAF, then try AAC rather than just try to join the FAA as a pilot?
I mean, do you want to be a pilot or not?

camelspyyder
3rd Jul 2010, 18:31
Matt, from your post it seems as if you don't want to be NCA, so please apply for pilot with another service... If you are not motivated, you will be wasting the time of my colleagues at Cranwell, and you wont succeed. Make your mind up.

CS

J.A.F.O.
3rd Jul 2010, 19:05
Don't accept the easy option, that's my only advice.

Oh, and 189.69 cm isn't 6'1.5", it's 6'2.7".

WannabeCrewman
4th Jul 2010, 10:55
Hi gents,

I think my first post wasnt all that clear (I have edited it in order to straighten things out) - I dont intend to apply for a commission/transfer - I am trying to figure out how things work, because several different people have told me several different things, and people keep on asking me "So what if..." - and because I have heard so many different things I dont know how to answer them most of the time. My post is merely trying to gain some clarity so I know better.

@ Vevvechookattack: I'm not looking at NCA as being second best at all mate.

@ Tourist: I'm not planning to do any transfering, I plan to go NCA, make a career out of it and be the best I can at it. I'm trying to clarify how things work.

@ JAFO: I definately dont think it is the easier option - NCAITC is going to be a hell of a challenge and I can't wait for that - the missus is getting a bit fed up of me going on about it. RE: Height - yeah, my balls up, 187.96cm.

RE: The Grob/UAS thing - what I was trying to say that I could fit into EFTS aircraft.

Apologies for the confusion guys,
Matt.

helidriver
4th Jul 2010, 14:06
If you are considering the AAC I would get in touch with the SO2 Pilot Selection at HQAAC via the Army careers office soonest. It is worth investigating which cockpits you are suitable for as there are different height and weight limits for AH and Lynx. You may even find that although you are in the height and weight limit you may be too long buttock to knee which appears to be more of a show-stopper for pilot selection.

The route for the commissioned AAC pilot will take you approximately 4 years (1 year Sandhurst, 15 months pilots course, AH conversion 9 months AH role conversion 9 months (Lynx conversion 6 months)), notwithstanding holds and operational pre-deployment training.

Your return of service will be 4 or 5 years (4 lynx, 5 AH) on completion of type conversion although most officers serve for at 16 years. You will complete one flying tour of anything from 2 to 4 years if you are graduate and maybe 3 tours if you are a non-graduate. After this you will have to complete 9 months of Staff College followed by a series of staff appointments. You will then be looking for command of a squadron which is highly competitive and is the real decision point for officers to serve beyond 16 years.

So negatives for AAC pilot commissioned service are a long training program with inconsistent flying rate. The positives include flying the AH which speaks for itself!

The NCA aircrew route in the AAC route requires at least 4 years of ground crew before even being considered for pilot duties although you will fly for the remainder of your 22 years service.

I wish you the best of luck in whichever aviation career you select, commissioned or otherwise however, you must use these 6 months to do the research which may stop you regretting your choice. Sounds obvious but so many individuals only see the other options more clearly once they are in and serve with regret throughout their service time. You might even find you don't have anything in common with the officers of a particular service and this shapes your decision. For the record, I have been very happy with my time in the AAC.

h

WannabeCrewman
5th Jul 2010, 07:05
@ Helidriver - Cheers pal, thats cleared that up.

nick185
5th Jul 2010, 09:38
As Helidriver said - give the AAC a call (probably via your AFCO).
The AAC recruit liason officer is a lovley lady and if you organise a fam visit you'll get nice two days at middle wallop. Its a brilliant chance to meet the officer's and the aircraft and see if you'll fit in with the regiment. You should get a flight too!
Best of Luck!