PDA

View Full Version : GoProHD outside of helicopter - FAA Rules

birrddog
2nd Jul 2010, 20:11
Blender Pilot held a gun to my head and forced me to by a GoProHD Hero (http://www.goprocamera.com/).

The question is, in the United Mexican States *ahem* I mean USA :E what are the rules govern me mounting the camera to a helicopter, inside and outside?

(Blender gave me some tips on how to do it, I just want to know the regulations involved)

I have a suction cup mount, rated to 175kts (tested by said Blender Pilot), and some 3m adhesive mounts.

Thanks y'all, and happy 4th of July!

BlenderPilot
3rd Jul 2010, 16:54
This should be fun . . . . .

Birddog, remember that although that mount has never come off, always tie it down with a small cord just in case.

As for the FAA in the USA, I doubt it's legal to strap on a camera outside the helicopter, I don't think I would do it in the U.S.

Here is a video I created with the GoPro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4oCKFn4xg

I bought the GoPro to use it for skydiving originally, but now I have found a lot different uses!!

Did I mention I also use it underwater? How do you like this one I took last week in Acapulco.

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRUNETWO/UWBB.jpg

birrddog
4th Jul 2010, 13:51
Blender, I think you just increased the sales of GoPro HD's from Rotorheads with that photo :p

Regarding your cord trick, I did that on the car when I tested it up to 100mph with the suction mount.

Now just to find out about the FAR's and mounting it.

I guess I could always wear the head mount like a night light, though I won't get the shots like you have in your video.

I have done some neat flying down coast lines, valleys, country side and the African plains, and it would be great to be able to capture those landscapes, from the outside of the aircraft.

birrddog
5th Jul 2010, 12:34
c'mon folks... over 300 views of the thread and no-one has an opinion on which FAA regs govern this activity?

I'll ask Blender to post more pics if we get some good discussion going :ok:

hihover
5th Jul 2010, 15:22
Birrddog,

I'm not a mechanic, I'm an operator, however, I have just been through a drastic process to fit a camera to a helicopter which demonstrated to me that regardless of what it says in FARs, the inspectors have their own rules and if they do not have a rule of their own to cause you imbuggerance, then they'll make one up.

Sadly, I think that you might be between a rock and a hardplace, even though the camera is tiny.

I will make a call to a local operator who is a friend and ask how he did it on his T6.....I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, I have a feeling that Appendix A to Part 43 will apply, even though the camera is small, if it is outside in the airflow and does not have an STC, I think it may be considered a major alteration. But remember....I'm not a mechanic, I could be completely wrong.

tam

hihover
5th Jul 2010, 17:21
Birrddog,

His advice is, attach it inside the cockpit unless you want to spend a serious amount of money to legally mount it outside.

It appears to me that you would be making an alteration to the fuselage, and as such, are required to comply with FAR 43. Appendices A and B give greater detail on this.

I hope this helps.

tam

nigelh
5th Jul 2010, 17:31
Just strap the bloody thing on and make sure it cant fall off and then go for it .....there will alwas be someone somewhere saying NO if you insist on asking !!! If you obeyed every rule , asked every caa inspector , you would never ever get off the ground ...you know that .!!
I gave up asking in 1980 and never regretted it :ok:

birrddog
5th Jul 2010, 18:13
hihover, thanks for that info.

In terms of internal mounting, using the suction cup on the top of the instruments console, or on the windscreen are ok?

I've seen folk use weighted bags for portable GPS's on top of the console, so I assume a suction mount would be at least as good? (As much as I hate to assume)

nigelh, them are the privileges owning your own machine!

hihover
5th Jul 2010, 18:32
I would probably go for the suction cup rather than weighted bag. Even with the suction cup on the inside, I would still take Blender's advice on a secondary attachment.

tam

mickjoebill
7th Jul 2010, 17:24
Taping it to inside of an unscratched chin window is an option but it wil be a bugger to turn on. If you are dead keen buy a nackered chin window and cut a 20mm diameter hole in it.

Think laterally about application of the rules governing what is baggage and you may find a spot to legally "stow" it for the flight that also gives you a good shot.

Use tape and a saftey wire, don't rely on a suction mount.
Maybe make a clip mount to fit it on a sliding window?

Another legal possibility is to modify a piece of ancillary equipment that is attached to the aircraft by bolting the camera to it rather than directly to the aircraft. In this case spend a few quid on some custom machining (not onerous given the size of the gopro) to make the thing look and act like it is fit for the job.

BTW, Gopros dont work too well on skids. They have a rolling shutter which exaserbates vibration creating what is termed the "jello effect".

Mickjoebill