PDA

View Full Version : Smoke on.......GO

XV410
2nd Jul 2010, 17:40
Oooops, sat too close maybe :uhoh:
The moment when Red Arrows fans were left red (and blue) faced | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291520/The-moment-Red-Arrows-fans-left-red-blue-faced.html)

Pontius Navigator
2nd Jul 2010, 18:10
Ah yes, the advantages of a 'freebie' spot for watching an airshow.

NutLoose
2nd Jul 2010, 18:25
‘The area where these people were standing was an unofficial spot outside the perimeter.’

Yes and how stupid for that person to be driving her car on a public road:=

mmitch
2nd Jul 2010, 19:08
In the past I have seen the police stop traffic and pedestrians when something like that happened. If the traffic on the main road was still moving that could have caused an accident.
mmitch.

XV410
2nd Jul 2010, 19:12
At the same location in 1992, 'Shifty Fix' took an F4 for the show, although it was sat in the static park all weekend. :ok: I told everybody that asked to come back monday as D..d D.g was leaving. Same location as the pic in the Daily Mail, all the spotters saw was the back of 2 RR Spey Mk202s light up with 20' of orange flame hitting the tarmac and throw all loose debris on the grass towards the same fence line. :ouch: Damned impressive take off, how do you lose a complete airborne F4 at the other end of the runway, lots of noise just couldn't see it because of the hump in the middle. :eek:

Spearmint-R33
3rd Jul 2010, 12:08
AFAIK it's only diesel with a dye in it. Silly buggers.

At Santa Pod Raceway (A dragstrip in Northants) there used to be a big shed at the back of the track where everyone stupid enough would stand in, waiting for the F5 Strike Fighter engined 'Fire Storm' Jet Funny Car to shoot up the track.

How quickly they all moved when the car started it's pre run checks! :D

airborne_artist
3rd Jul 2010, 12:49
... by the Reds in 1979, at Leeming - link to ArkRoyal's post here (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/116248-youve-been-zapped-2.html#post1158198)

How the junior RNEFTS course laughed, and carried on laughing when it wouldn't wash out of the perpetrator's growbags for months :}

PICKS135
3rd Jul 2010, 14:34
Video on youtube

YouTube - Biggin Hill 2010...Red Arrow Hair Dying Take Off.....Spectators get more than they bargained for. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkP8lgpmCJc&feature=player_embedded)

Double Zero
3rd Jul 2010, 15:11
The smoke is indeed diesel with dye.

We once had a suggestion from an early African customer who wanted to do a 'Presidential Flypast' - using Trichoethylene ( Genklene, now banned ) as it produces white smoke when burned.

Can't remember if they were going to fit pods or maybe put in the fuel ? Anyway it resulted in Flight Test's quickest ever response; the white smoke happens to be phosgene gas, the result might have been like the scene in 'Goldfinger' where all the troops keel over as the aircraft pass !

We had another request from a customer who wanted green smoke; it's actually quite difficult to get a good solid colour from a Hawk's Adour, as it runs relatively cool.

After days of testing a Hawk with various dyes static in the middle of Dunsfold, Flt test's Reg Hippolite & team got a good solid green.

It was a calm day, and the smoke drifted slowly across the 'field.

Shortly afterwards the Airfield Manager received the snottiest phone call in history, from a local woman who'd just had her hanging washing dyed bright green !

I think some slight compensation was made, I just wish I'd been able to go and photograph our results...

coolbeans
4th Jul 2010, 10:03
What I love is the fact that there are signs all along the length of that fence that say "Caution jets departing do not stand here", yet there they are faces pressed to the fenceline.

Saintsman
4th Jul 2010, 10:34
"Spare a thought for the hard working Dye Team"

RAF Red Arrows - Dye Team (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/behindthescenes/dyeteam.cfm)

Double Zero
4th Jul 2010, 11:49
I have my doubts the smoke is for aircraft safety reasons !

A good article otherwise, good to see groundcrew get a mention; I bet they do a lot more, and BTW my Dad Stan was in charge of fitting the original pods.

At a fairly recent show over the now private Dunsfold, the commentator 'Red 10' said " we wouldn't normally operate from such a short runway " !

Well where do you think the ********* things were built and developed then, it certainly wasn't Wart On !

Thank you mod's for apparently deleting the chap having a go at me; he's welcome to PM me.

coolbeans
4th Jul 2010, 18:19
Thank you mod's for apparently deleting the chap having a go at me; he's welcome to PM me.

Poo, did I miss some drama?

BEagle
4th Jul 2010, 18:58
I have my doubts the smoke is for aircraft safety reasons!

Correct - they're chemtrails!

(Some idiot will probably believe me......:rolleyes:)

bobward
5th Jul 2010, 11:54
A couple of examples came to mind when I read this thread.

RAF Cottesmore around 2000 , when they held the RIAT here.
A large group of spotters on the end of the runway as the B1 wound up and went....smaller gruoup of spotters blown backwards by the blast of four burners.....

The fence at RAF Coningsby is made up of wood panels. The ones in the middle are newer than the ones on the edges. Nobody could work out why until a 'phoon blew them away with a max rate take off. Spotters now stand at the side instead of the middle, proving that Darwin was right.....

Noah Zark.
5th Jul 2010, 22:10
I remember the Tricky Freckalorie's Fiat G91's laying smoke at the RIAT at Greenham Common. I have never seen such dense smoke before or since. It nearly broke your nose as it rolled off the runway into the crowd. Great stuff!

Arkroyal
6th Jul 2010, 16:46
Thanks, Airborne.

Just had another big laugh about it.

No cancer yet anyway.

Double Zero
6th Jul 2010, 19:01
Re jet efflux ( rather than smoke ) I would seriously avoid being behind a B-1 !

We sometimes had to be beside the runway as new types did first flights etc; this usually involved a luckier photographer in a Hawk filming the subject as it took off or landed.

Naturally this chase aircraft was struggling a bit with the low speed, and would go right over us nose up at relatively high power; I can say a Hawk going over one at such an angle & height is enough to get attention, we crouched at the last second and could feel the heat & blast as we were covered in grass.

This was nothing compared to another job, photographing 2-seat Harrier G-VTOL from underneath to cover asymmetric load trials.

I soon learned that ‘underneath ’ was not an option, just to get as near as my nerve & ear defenders would allow.

You will know of the scrolling vortices of thrust under a Harrier; a photographer from another base apparently didn’t, - I admire his courage if not wisdom - and during the ‘Skyhook’ trials he managed to get picked up to quite some height, ( could have been an unusual fod report with his big video camera ) then thrust violently back into the ground.

I’m only saying this as it had a happy ending, incredibly he was only bruised – not so for the camera though, and sadly the footage, if it existed, was kept discreet.

On a Sea Harrier delivery, I was with a stills camera and a Flight Test chap with a video, we’d had been tipped off this might be a bit of a display, and were on a gantry, which was distinctly unstable laterally.

The aircraft went past fast & reasonably close – not dodgy really – but on feeling the efflux I thought we were going over, and ducked below railing height; I forgot the video had a microphone, and still have a copy of the film ending in the F.T. video diving too, and my voice saying ‘ Holy S**t ! ’

In Burgundy on a later job, we had to use the canal going past the Dijon Mirage 2000 base, and it was obvious a slow moving barge was too good to resist; we got singed but I’d seen it coming, a friendly rival had all the deck gear ( and only by luck not the people aboard ) blown over the side.

Made a nice photo’ – shooting through, not above – the lock gates though.

Arkroyal
8th Jul 2010, 07:35
Are you ableto post any of these photos here, Double?

Double Zero
8th Jul 2010, 12:07
Arkroyal,

Despite supposedly being a photographer and computer literate, the general means of posting photo's here tell me to get stuffed !

I'd have to scrabble around the attic for some pictures, and I'm really p'd off my ex wife tore up the Mirage through the lock gates print, but may come across a copy, don't hold your breath.

I have some of the others I'm happy to e-mail you, post them here if you like but my system despite being fairly modern won't have it.

When I left Dunsfold I tried to be professional and leave everything intact; if I'd known what was going to happen, I'd have grabbed all the pic's, and undeveloped WWII gun camera films !

These may be in a museum ( neither the supposed Duxford or Brooklands can archive all their stuff so don't know ) - but I'm pretty sure I know who's garage they're in...

Can supply anything possible, for you to post...

A

Heliport
8th Jul 2010, 21:28
Double Zero

The Mods didn't delete his post. There was no reason to do so. The OP deleted it himself.
He queried "We once had a suggestion ........" and "We had another request ......"

Perhaps he was wondering why a photographer would receive such requests?

Akrotiri bad boy
10th Dec 2010, 08:17
Check your PM's ref post number 9 :)