PDA

View Full Version : 737-400 ferry to EGBP - Kemble

737incognito
2nd Jul 2010, 07:48
Is there anybody who cares to share some info obout EGBP - Kemble from pilot perspective
How to reach it, navaids, atc etc.

Thanks in advance

Capt Pit Bull
2nd Jul 2010, 08:18
Call me old fashioned, but perhaps you might start by looking at the relevant charts.

Here's a hint: England is the big island north a bit from France.

737incognito
2nd Jul 2010, 08:46
Did all that, no instrument procedures, one NDB off the runway...
I'm looking for pilots perspective, not something you can read from the chart, since I need to put an B737 there.

And I do not appreciate your tone.

TCAS FAN
2nd Jul 2010, 09:02
Try this

NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=84&Itemid=133.html)

Capt Pit Bull
2nd Jul 2010, 09:10
I'm glad you don't appreciate my tone, because I find it gobsmackingly unbelievable that anyone ferrying a medium sized jet would rely on information gleaned from an internet forum.

Just so we are clear, I'm calling you unsafe.

And since I live pretty close to Kemble I'd appreciate it if you stayed well clear rather than blundering into my back garden.

pb

hawker750
2nd Jul 2010, 09:17
wow! I can understand why you called yourself Captain Pit Bull. I believe they are illegal now, perhaps you should take note of that before somebody smacks you

hawker750
2nd Jul 2010, 09:28
Quote: Here's a hint: England is the big island north a bit from France.

You may be old fashioned but you were crap at geography, How can England be an island when it has Scotland and Wales attached to it??? Should check your fact before being extremely rude to people.

Capt Pit Bull
2nd Jul 2010, 10:12
Much as I'd love to indulge in a discussion about the nature of Britain versus england versus the UK etc, Hawker you are of course quite correct.

And frankly I don't care, because it is not germane to the point of this thread. Neither do I care if you consider it rude; the fact remains that we have an entire infrastructure dedicated to providing flight planning information and a guy that doesn't seem know how to use it. (I mean if it was his first trip to somewhere like Chambery, fair enough, although the question then would be why isn't the operator providing you with a Cat C brief/training).

And we are not talking about a new PPL here, this is someone who intends to fly a complex airliner. An aircraft that is (or can be ) certified for P-RNAV approaches, in a pretty benign part of the world. Now of course if there are no published approachs then you need to make a visual approach not make up your own RNAV one, but my point is if you can't get into the right part of the sky to do that in a 737-400, even if the local aid is only an NDB, then there is something seriously wrong.

And if there is an unresolved question, go to the horses mouth! Get on the phone and ask the relevant authority (in this case calling Kemble Ops would be a good place to start)

But using a set of anonymous forums instead? COME ON.

And people wonder why the perception of our profession is going down hill.

God forbid this guy has an incident. Can you imagine the subsequent day in court? Could you really rely on information gathered here to show that you'd discharged your planing obligations as the commander?

pb

pulse1
2nd Jul 2010, 11:01
Capt Pit Bull,

How do you know that 737 hasn't done all of those things? For all you know he may be prepared to learn as much as possible by seeking any local knowledge from those who have done it. For example, who will tell him to be careful about not confusing Kemble with some of the other local airfields which tend to stand out more than Kemble when approaching from the West.

In my opinion you are a dangerous sort of person to have around aviation because you discourage people from asking questions in case someone thinks they are stupid. You may have had a long and safe career yourself but I wonder how many others have got into trouble because of your attitude.

NSEU
2nd Jul 2010, 11:14
And if there is an unresolved question, go to the horses mouth! Get on the phone and ask the relevant authority (in this case calling Kemble Ops would be a good place to start)

Let's hope he doesn't get the same chilly response.

This is a profession pilots' forum. Perhaps he was expecting some qualified answers. Experience tells you things that manuals and people in stuffy offices might not.

I think it's admirable that he's going that extra mile.

Chesty Morgan
2nd Jul 2010, 11:16
who will tell him to be careful about not confusing Kemble with some of the other local airfields

Really? Shouldn't we always be careful about where we are landing?

Look at the chart, it'll show those airfields. Then you can say to yourself, hmmm better keep my wits about me here.

How do you know that 737 hasn't done all of those things?

If he had. And I mean really had, would he need to be here asking questions.

Ex Cargo Clown
2nd Jul 2010, 12:41
I really don't know if the original poster is on a wind-up, but if not I'd suggest him to go onto the CAA website (Ok, technically NATS :E), download the AIP information and probably also the VFR charts of the area.

I've been into Kemble, but in nothing as big as a 734, not the hardest airfield in the world to do an NPA into.

cldrvr
2nd Jul 2010, 14:17
The original poster is on another thread asking about RFF cover, guess he is using pprune as source for his preflight, what's next how to file a CA48?

Capt Pit Bull
2nd Jul 2010, 14:21
How do you know that 737 hasn't done all of those things? For all you know he may be prepared to learn as much as possible by seeking any local knowledge from those who have done it. For example, who will tell him to be careful about not confusing Kemble with some of the other local airfields which tend to stand out more than Kemble when approaching from the West.

In my opinion you are a dangerous sort of person to have around aviation because you discourage people from asking questions in case someone thinks they are stupid. You may have had a long and safe career yourself but I wonder how many others have got into trouble because of your attitude.

You see, this is supposed to be a forum for "The very best in practical technical discussion on the web" yet apparently it's actually the "free, might be accurate if you're lucky, preflight briefing service".

It's not my intention to disuade anyone from asking a question, but I do believe people should ask the question in a manner that is likely to yield accurate information. And for specific operational information this is NOT the place and I'm really surprised a professional pilot would think so given the well established methods we have within the industry.

As per Chesty's comments.

Anyway, I sense I'm repeating myself. I have nothing more to say on the matter other than I hope the OP has a safe flight.

For myself, I'm off to find some red meat.

pb

737incognito
5th Jul 2010, 10:52
Just to be clear:

I was in a contact with Kemble Ops and got all the charts and info from AIP but since we don't normaly do flights to VFR airports without ATC I was trying to get as much info as possible. Last time I did it was in pilot school some 20 years ago, and it was not in UK.
Ofcourse this info is not official but I would try to confirm it and use only confirmed data.
And I didn't force anyone to respond to my question. I was counting on people's good will to share what they know (if they feel like it), just like I do sometimes on this forum.

Regarding some open questions: I'm acting on behalf of the operator, derogation is being asked from lokal CAA regarding cat C training on the basis that there is no Keble in any simulator data base and probably nobody ever flew 737 there before. I'm also guilty of posting an RFF question on Safety, CRM, QA & Emergency Response Planning (http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa-emergency-response-planning-93/) part of this forum.

enicalyth
7th Jul 2010, 16:04
I think quite a few B737 classics have landed at Kemble. Rather fewer of them would have taken off afterwards though. Some call it parting-out, some call it recycling but it is scrapping nonetheless. I suspect that is the fate that awaits this 737-400.

Pugilistic Animus
10th Jul 2010, 20:33
I'm not sure at all how it's done correctly there,..but in the US you'd get the AWOS/ASOS self announce on CTAF [10 miles out entering downwind, base, final clear rwy...etc.... a teardrop overflight for collision avoidance survey.set up your jet pattern [1200' - 1500'agl usually].using 45 degree entry to the downwind leg [I guess] trying to use designated calm wind runway, be mindful of the traffic pattern indicator

flaps, gear configuration and airspeeds as applicable/detailed in the AFM..
I understand that this is no C-172, hence why you would ask; but it's right back around to the basics..as applicable
:)