PDA

View Full Version : C421s in Africa/Australia

Bert Stiles
30th Jun 2010, 20:54
I was going to post this on the African and/or Aus Forum, but it really is a tech question -so what I'd like to know is whether anyone has information on how to look after a C421 in dusty clogging conditions? Which bits give up first, how often do you check filters etc, etc? The manuals don't seem to expand into this territory for this type.

Any information appreciated.

Bert.

clunckdriver
30th Jun 2010, 23:19
Sugest you Google "Twin Cessna Flyer", spend a few $ on a membership and direct your questions to Tony Saxton, Director of tech support, worth every penny!

411A
1st Jul 2010, 07:19
so what I'd like to know is whether anyone has information on how to look after a C421 in dusty clogging conditions? Which bits give up first, how often do you check filters etc, etc?
Saxon is OK, however, to answer the specific question...
Be sure that Bracket Air Induction Inlet Filters are installed, and change (not clean and reuse) when dirty.
Change the engine oil/filters each thirty five hours.
Use only Philips x/c 20W50 or Aeroshell W100 oil.
No synthetics.

For additional information, see RAM Operation and Service Tips Index (http://www.ramaircraft.com/Maintenance-Tips.htm)

John Miller
1st Jul 2010, 08:19
Bert

pm yr email address and I'll put you in touch with an african private owner who has had his for 20-plus years and is used to operating into dirt strips. He's pretty knowledgeable and takes a big interest in his aeroplane. His 421B also has an RSTOL mod.

plugster
1st Jul 2010, 10:48
The oil gets hot pretty quick on the 421s during long idling on the ground. I second 411A on the Aeroshell W100 (take W100+ with better anti corrosive additives).
Trailing link gear is a big plus on dirtstrips.

clunckdriver
1st Jul 2010, 11:33
Yes 100 Plus for sure, know the hot start trick or you will crank till the batt is flat! Many flying from dusty strips change oil every 25hrs, Ram engines give you the extra MP to get it of the ground in high/hot strips, PM me if you wish more info, have a few hours on B and C models only, dont know it all but love the little aircraft.