PDA

View Full Version : Phones HTC Desire or iPhone

nomorecatering
27th Jun 2010, 08:21
My better half just upgraded to a HTC Desire, looks and works like the iPhone but I've never heared of it before.

Do aapps thingys for an iphone work on other phones as well.

Does anyone know what aviation apps there is for the HTC version.

Dunno which one to get now.

1a sound asleep
27th Jun 2010, 08:30
Just sold my iphone and bought the Desire. I got a deal on a publicly available staff plan with Telstra. You can get both phones on the following plan until 28 June

$39 Staff Cap Plan - Mobile Plans - Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/shop/personal/NGTSOMobilePlansView?catalogId=10101&storeId=10001&productId=89704&langId=-1&categoryId=30603&parent_category_rn=30603&top_category)=

Suggest you google for reviews. I would imagine the iphone 4 to be on par but I like the desire as it has more control features, better internet and I dont like having to plug into itunes on the iphone. And I am not paying apple's prices

Most of the iphone aps I never used although the good ones are mostly available on google market for the HTC

Ultralights
27th Jun 2010, 08:31
IPhone 4 , fitted with solid state Gyros, GPS receiver and electronic compass. what more could a pilot want! wont even need a panel soon!

if only Garmin would release a G3000 App!

The Bunglerat
28th Jun 2010, 00:29
I'm a diehard, true-blue Apple fan - iPhone, iPod, iMac, etc. Got the lot (except an iPad, but that will soon be addressed). Nevertheless it annoys the hell out of me that Apple have a nasty habit of dumbing down their new release products. For a company of their stature, there's absolutely no reason why many of the features now available on their latest models could not have been introduced on previous ones. It's like they intentionally hold off on these features, because they know their loyal fan base (including me) will consume whatever they bring out - and then line up all over again for the next one. Marketing genius - yes - but not so great for the consumer. It's just that they're so shiny, and cool, and sexy, etc... :)

That said, it looks like the new iPhone 4 will again be the benchmark by which everyone else will be playing catch-up.

faction
28th Jun 2010, 01:21
I recently switched from the iPhone to the Desire after having the iPhone for 2 years.
The Desire is a far superior phone, much faster, micro SD slot, much longer battery life when being used and it's not limited by simplicity.

The Android app market is still relatively new and I believe it is rapidly growing. You can get most apps that you already could on the iPhone for the Desire, although the aviation apps I used are not available... yet... hopefully.

The 4G will be a good phone given the HD video camera, gyro upgrade and if carriers put together a good plan for the video chat then it should be an excellent phone.

The screen on the Desire alone is enough to warrant the switch.

I'm very happy with the switch from iPhone to Desire.

ampclamp
28th Jun 2010, 02:39
there was a review of the desire a few months ago in the Fin review if memory serves correctly.

Reviewer favoured the desire over the iphone.
For the serious road warrior the desire over apple product.That was not the latest iphone 4 though.

Apple are masters at creating faux demand and selling you stuff that is already superceded by upgraded iphones in particular.Therefore giving the populace chance to spend another grand on another phone every year or 2.
Nice products for sure but....
Within a few months the 'all new' ipad will emerge (having sold a sqillion) with all the do-dads the new iphone will have plus some others and around we go again.

Nadsy
28th Jun 2010, 02:53
Apparently there is quite a good market uptake on the Desire, as is evidenced in the software engineering team of 6 that I work in:

- 3 have bought a Desire in the last month;
- 1 is waiting to check out the iPhone 4G;
- 1 is forced to use the company blackberry; and
- 1 (myself) with a 3G is unable to convince the wife of the need for another phone.

Reports from the guys who bought it are glowing, especially in terms of the 'app store' and although not a true representation (because the Android OS is used by a couple of other devices like the Nexus and the IPed), apparently the activation statistics are as follows:
Android: 770,000 per week;
iPhone: 240,000 per week.

Regards,

Nads.

Kulwin Park
28th Jun 2010, 13:41
HTC Desire is the way to go - The GOOGLE ANDROID system craps all over Apple, and will only get better with their user system, and friendly to use ... still don't have one tho, just waiting for my phone contract to run out in a few months ...

Look at this link - It says it all - Short Video between HTC and I-Phone

Web Browsing Speed Test: HTC Desire vs. HD2 vs. iPhone 3GS (http://pocketnow.com/software-1/web-browsing-speed-test-htc-desire-vs-hd2-vs-iphone-3gs)

KP :ok:

Diversion90
1st Jul 2010, 03:31
Ive got a HTC Tattoo and I consider that to be better than the iPhone 3GS, however the new iPhone 4 is better than it due to the screen resolution and camera.

I think the Android operating system is excellent.

aditya104
1st Jul 2010, 03:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Youtube embedding not working

YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg)

mr.tos
1st Jul 2010, 05:31
Does the desire have aviation applications similar to the iphone?

VH-XXX
1st Jul 2010, 06:50
Enbedding does work - only paste the video code number part, not the whole web-link. eg. FL7yD-0pqZg

FL7yD-0pqZg

blueloo
1st Jul 2010, 06:56
That video is quite amusing, but really its a bit like the old windows vs mac debate from years ago.

The thing I find more amusing is that it took the mac guys/iphone to drag the other manufacturers into producing a smartphone that actually worked....for years they churned out crap phones with no real competition.

Now as usual they have copied each other, and luckily everyone, no matter what side of the mac/windows side you favour - everyone is better off with decent smartphones. Hopefully they will continue to get better.

Old Akro
1st Jul 2010, 07:21
The new iphone operating system is a loser. My battery life dropped to about 1/3 of what it was. I was struggling to get the battery to last to lunchtime. There is a problem with the MS exchange push mail function. I've had to turn it off - which is half the point of having the phone in the first place. The new operating system upgrade cannot be undone - so I'm stuck until Apple releases a fix. Upgrade with caution. Wish I hadn't.

Nadsy
1st Jul 2010, 11:04
Old Akro,

Couldn't agree more. I've had a couple of older HTC's (tytn II), and a couple of O2 XDA's, and even the basic functions were a bit sucky, like the phone and hands free feature. I found their camera's were better than the iPhone 3G. Having seen and played with the new HTC, it looks like things have changed. Don't know of many aviation aps out there for the desire, but my mates writting one as we speak.

After seeing the video below, I decided to hold off on upgrading my OS until a patch for OS4 comes out:

iPhone 3G Performance – OS 3.1.3 vs iOS 4 | Apple | ithinkdifferent (http://www.ithinkdiff.com/iphone-3g-performance-os-3-1-3-vs-ios-4/)

blueloo
1st Jul 2010, 15:25
Old Akro - chances are your battery life is 1/3 of what it was because of the new multitasking.....unless you completely close each app, they continue to run in the background and if its something like a navigation app it will drain the battery very quickly.

To shut them completely double tap the home button - then along the bottom all the open apps appear. Scroll left to right and Hold down on an app along the bottom until the red close icon appears and shut down the ones you dont need.

Old Akro
3rd Jul 2010, 00:27
nomorecatering

The battery life issue is a known problem associated with MS exchange email. The Apple forums are full of it. Many corporate IT departments are advising against the upgrade until the bug is fixed.

CyReal
4th Jul 2010, 12:46
There are already some aviation apps on Android Market. The ones I know best (because I made them ;-) are KeroZen (fuel mass/volume calculation tool) and ZzTrop (crew rest application).

I am currently working on a delay codes application. First release expected in a couple weeks...

Peter Fanelli
4th Jul 2010, 13:23
I am currently working on a delay codes application. First release expected in a couple weeks...

You need an app to work out a delay code?

gutso-blundo
5th Jul 2010, 07:56
Blueloo - iPhone doesn't do true multitasking - they call fast app switching. Apps are frozen in the background and as such won't drain your battery - this is how Apple designed it.
Only very new 3rd party apps will take advantage of the multitasking function - they have to be designed to call upon a very specific set of background functions.
iOS has a central department which looks after background things such as phone calls, push notifications, location services, events etc. As an app is put into its frozen state, it sends a message to the services department telling it what it wants listened out for (for example, a push notification for VOIP), and then goes to sleep. This is to stop all of your open apps sitting active in the background all listening for essentially the same thing, using processing power, memory and battery.
This is why WinMo devices start to get pretty clunky and slow when you have a lot of apps open at one - they are designed in much the same way as desktop apps in that they all stay active in the background, using up resources.

AppleInsider | Inside iPhone OS 4.0: Multitasking vs Mac OS X, Android (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/17/inside_iphone_os_4_0_multitasking_vs_mac_os_x_android.html)

has a pretty good rundown on how it all works.

VH-XXX
5th Jul 2010, 08:08
Apps are frozen in the background and as such won't drain your battery - this is how Apple designed it.

Jailbroken phones allow multitasking where apps are not shut down during background running. One day Apple will catch up with the hackers and do things properly.

sprocket check
6th Jul 2010, 14:09
List of aviation apps:

AviatorApps.com - A directory of aviation applications and web sites for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad (http://www.aviatorapps.com)

aditya104
6th Jul 2010, 15:18
is it true that there are not as many apps for aviation on android as iOS? Does Android lack far behind?

thnx vh-xxx for the youtube embed

sprocket check
7th Jul 2010, 10:47
List of aviation related Android apps:

Ultimate List of Android Apps For Aviators (http://aviatorandroidapps.com/page/Ultimate-List-of-Android-Apps-For-Aviators.aspx)

faction
7th Jul 2010, 10:52
Android is still missing my favourites from the iPhone - Copilot and NAIPS.

CaptainInsaneO
7th Jul 2010, 23:59
Does anybody know if there is a NAIPS version coming out for android?

aditya104
10th Jul 2010, 11:04
@sprocket is that an ultimate list? Only 21 apps I could see........

maybe this list is outdated Now Live! (http://aviatorandroidapps.com/post/2010/04/01/Now-Live!.aspx#continue)

sprocket check
11th Jul 2010, 08:11
It's all I could find in the time available to me.