PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training Done...that's it?

Jumbo744
26th Jun 2010, 17:41
Hey there!

Yesterday I have finished my training. I am now a CPL/IR/ME pilot.

When I started my training, I always thought that when I would reach that "level", I would be a "real" pilot with so much more skills and knowledge. Result is, I don't feel I have acquired that much knowledge.

I might start on a King Air next week and I am concerced about what is next. I mean, I shouldn't look up to the captain as an instructor, at the same time, I know I have so much more to learn.

If anybody here can respond to that question: how were your first few flights as a commercial pilot flying for a company for the very first time?

Thanks!

Otto Throttle
26th Jun 2010, 18:35
You will always have something to learn in this business, and the lesson can come from either seat, or the other side of the flight deck door. The day you think you know it all is the day you should give it up.

It will take you some months to settle into your new role, and it's quite natural to feel a little daunted by it all. That is quite healthy, and it will encourage you to be careful and methodical - a good habit to keep for the remainder of your career.

Enjoy the experience and learn something new every chance you get.

Jumbo744
26th Jun 2010, 19:01
thank you very much for your advices!!

Wirbelsturm
26th Jun 2010, 20:10
Always remember the day you really started to learn to drive was the day you passed your test and started to take full responsibility for your position. The same works in flying.

Alot, and I mean alot, of the Co-Pilots I fly with know alot more about the systems and the technical side of the aircraft than me but, to be honest, they don't know how it flies like most of us crusty buggers do and it takes a while to learn.

Most important though, never be afraid to raise a question, concern or objection. If the other pilot has a reason then you'll get it, if they don't you may just prevent them from making a pigs ear of it.

Good luck.

Jumbo744
27th Jun 2010, 04:16
thanks wirbelsturm :ok:

corsair
28th Jun 2010, 11:26
You have a refreshing attitude compared to many newly minted pilots. Straight out of flight school they think they know it all. They soon find out otherwise.

The more hours you fly the more you realise how little you knew and how little you know. But also you learn that nothing is too daunting so when you step up to a bigger aircraft you can be confident that you will cope with it. The first time is the hardest though. It was for me. It's a steep learning curve at first. But even hundreds of hours on type later you can still learn new things. Good luck with it.

G SXTY
28th Jun 2010, 18:49
One of things I love about this job is that you never stop learning. I have been flying commercially a little over two years, and I really do learn something new every day. It's a cliché, but any flying qualification is a licence to learn, be it a PPL, CPL or type rating.

The learning curve is indeed very steep, but things will get easier with time and experience. If you pitch up with an attitude that says; "I know I'm inexperienced but I'm keen to learn – what can you show me?" then the vast majority of captains will respond very well. I'd also echo Wirbelsturm's advice about never being afraid to question. 200hr FOs are just as capable of saving 20,000hr captains from embarrassment as the other way round. ;)

P.S. Congratulations by the way!!

Dan Winterland
29th Jun 2010, 00:12
''But even hundreds of hours on type later you can still learn new things.''

Or even thousands. I learned something from one of our brand new cadet pilots recently. I have twenty times his experience, but he still tought me something new. You never stop learning in this profession.

Good luck, you seem to have the right attitude.

Jumbo744
30th Jun 2010, 23:16
thank you very much all, this is encouraging, I will preciously keep your comments in mind when I start my new job :ok:

windypops
2nd Jul 2010, 16:06
I would recommend you read "Redefining Airmanship" by Anthony Kern. It will reinforce everything that others have said here, "that there is always something you can learn". It is also a very good read at any stage in your flying career, but if you read it now you will go into your first job with some very wise words in the back of your mind.

Jumbo744
2nd Jul 2010, 16:12
thanks! you are the second person recommending me that book, I will order it today!