PDA

View Full Version : Fison Airwork Helicopter Ops

KeMac
26th Jun 2010, 17:12
Would anyone know where I could find out more about the Fison-Airwork helicopter operations in the late 1950s? I have managed to glean a certain amount from the Flightglobal archives but I am trying to find out a bit more. I would be very interested in talking to anyone who flew or worked for them at that time. I have also asked for info on the Nostalgia/History forum and on Where are they now.
Many Thanks
KeMac

Bravo73
26th Jun 2010, 18:24
Have a look in this thread: http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/287207-bristow-photos.html

There are some photos and other details from when Bristow took over the running of Fison Airworks.

HTH

heli1
27th Jun 2010, 06:32
...and in Bristow's autobiography.
They started with S-51s I think in the late 1940s

KeMac
27th Jun 2010, 12:44
Thank you all for your kind responses (the only ones I have received after posting in various forums).
Shell Management - I will certainly look into that - thank you for the tip. I had been in touch with Vernon Scannell's widow (He wrote Winged Shell) who informed me that she thought her husband had said much of the Shell archive stuff was put in a skip in the early 1970s. I was asking about the Airwork operation related to Shell in Ecuador (late 1940s/early 1950s) at the time. I will certainly get in touch with them though.
Many Thanks again
KeMac

Robert West
30th Jun 2010, 20:52
The attached photograph is, I believe, of either Hiller UH12 G-APKY or G-APNR in Fison-Airworks livery. The registration document has the following details. Construction number 784. Registered to Fison-Airwork 20/6/1958. There was a change of ownership 1/1/1961 to Airworks (Helicopters) Ltd., at their address in Redhill.
Sadly there are no Hiller UH12 A's, B's, or C's, left on the UK register. Those still flying in the UK are all now N registration.
Both hulls still exist, and are owned by Vanguard Helicopters Ltd at Henstridge, UK.
I hope the information is useful to your research.
Robert West.

ps. Having spent a considerable amount of time on trying to attach a photograph, I have failed. If you would like a copy, contact me.
Thanks,
Robert.

KeMac
1st Jul 2010, 05:23
Robert,

PM sent.
Many Thanks
Keith

Subaru
25th Sep 2023, 15:49
If anyone wants information re Mangemant Aiation and Fison Airwork I flew for Fison Airwork in Panama, Cost Rica, and Dominican Republic from 1959 and 1961 and then in UK and Greece spraying Olives in Crete and Sui Norhtern Gas Pipelines before going to Mozambique on seismick flying Hillers and then Agusta Bell 47J.
Does anyon know where I can find any engineers or pilots who also worked about this time for the same copany and the same places.

Droopy
26th Sep 2023, 15:09
I believe Peter Gray, ex Bristow, who was doing aircraft reviews for Flight International some years back was with them but I have no other details.