PDA

View Full Version : Skycrane Crash in Miri Today

Ned-Air2Air
25th Jun 2010, 22:34
With a heavy heart I post this. Erickson lost a Skycrane in Miri this morning during logging ops, resulting in the death of one pilot and seriously injuring the other.

Thoughts and prayers are with all our friends at Erickson in this very sad time.

:sad::sad::sad:

dirtybungs
26th Jun 2010, 12:51
Chopper crashes in Borneo jungle, killing American pilot

By STEPHEN THEN

MIRI: A helicopter used for aerial timber-extraction crashed while on logging operations in the mountainous interior of ulu Baram in northern Sarawak, killing its American pilot and seriously injuring his co-pilot.
Captain William Charles Scott, 51, from Woodlands, United States, died when the heavy-duty Erickson-Aircrane chopper crashed in a timber concession zone belonging to a local timber giant. His body is still in the wreckage.
The incident site is located between Long Pelutan and Long Banga some 350kms inland from here.
His co-pilot David Bergin, 49, also from the United States, suffered serious injuries when the helicopter went out of control at about 6pm on Friday.
Baram MP Datuk Jacob Dungau Sagan confirmed the incident on Saturday.
''The survivor was taken to a private hospital in Miri this morning.
''The Baram police have deployed a team of investigators to the site to find out what had happened.
''The area is very deep into the jungles. There are two timber companies operating there now. It is very hilly and some parts are very difficult to reach,'' he said when contacted.
The helicopter is equipped with an air-crane that is used for hauling huge timber logs that can weigh up to five tonnes each. The Erickson-Aircrane, in operations since 1971, is currently being widely used for log-extractions in the forests of United States and Canada.
Malaysia is also a major user of this type of aerial heli-logger.
The helicopter can also be used for aerial fire-fighting.

zlocko2002
26th Jun 2010, 17:08
R.I.P. what went wrong?

170'
26th Jun 2010, 19:00
I'm stunned by this news. I've known Chuck for a long time and it's hard to think of anyone with a more genuine nature.
Just a great pilot and great all-round human being. A true Southern Gentleman.
Rest in Peace Chuckster...(Em ar not)

maxtork
27th Jun 2010, 15:11
Very sad news. I met Chuck Scott years ago when I worked for Erickson. He and his wife are super nice people and I much enjoyed their company.

RIP my friend

Max

albatross
27th Jun 2010, 15:33
Terrible news - They use the hangar next to us in Miri. Great bunch of guys!
Thoughts and prayers for Family and Friends.

Helilog56
29th Jun 2010, 15:14
We are all saddened at the loss of Chuck here at Canadian Air Crane. Chuck worked with us over the years, and was truly one of the good guys.
Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Also a speedy and full recovery for you Dave.

B Sousa
29th Jun 2010, 15:49
Uncontrollable Spin?? Tail rotor Problem?? Who knows, but sad news indeed.