PDA

View Full Version : RAF Aircrew eyesight

NDW
24th Jun 2010, 20:35
This is just a quick wuestion regarding eyesight, and I'm hoping that some of you on here can shed some light for me.

I found this eyesight chart and noticed that it stated for pilot uncorrected 6/6 or 20/20.

For WSO it states 6/24, what is this equivalent to in relation to 20/?

And it also says for WSO & WSOp, that eyesight can be corrected to 6/6.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/philm/eye.jpg

I'm presuming ( I stand to be corrected ) that 6/24 is going to be short sightedness to some extent or long sightedness?

I'm just a worried wannabe thats all, and hopefully you guys can help. :ok:

Many Thanks

NDW

P.S if this need's to be moved to OASC candidates please do.

Willard Whyte
24th Jun 2010, 21:32
6/6 is the metric version of 20/20.

So 6/24 is 20/80.

Milk bottle lenses needed, methinks.

AllTrimDoubt
24th Jun 2010, 23:14
Fork me old boots! Can't read that without me glasses boy!

:} :sad:

getsometimein
25th Jun 2010, 07:27
Not sure what that is in laymans terms... But I cant read the large letter at the top of the test chart without my glasses, so that may give some idea as to how bad 20/80 may be...

Tankertrashnav
25th Jun 2010, 16:55
Never forget my one and only trip in a Lightning T4. We taxied out to the holding point just short of the runway, whereupon the pilot reached into his flying suit, produced a pair of aircrew specs and put them on!

Steely-eyed fighter pilots? Bah!!

Mind you I suspect his eyesight had degenerated since qualifying - cant imagine him being accepted for pilot training with anything less than perfect vision.

airborne_artist
25th Jun 2010, 17:06
Best advice is to take the table above to your optician, have your eyes tested, show them the info, and ask what you will pass based on their measurements.

zedder
25th Jun 2010, 19:43
BBC News - RAF Tornado 'I'm with stupid' prank laughed off by MoD (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east_orkney_and_shetland/10412257.stm)

NDW can you read the sign being held up by the Nav, and do you agree with it? If so you're in;)

Melchett01
25th Jun 2010, 20:30
Not sure what that is in laymans terms... But I cant read the large letter at the top of the test chart without my glasses, so that may give some idea as to how bad 20/80 may be...

IIRC, the first number relates to you, the second number relates to a 'normal population' as a comparison. So 20/80 would mean that you can see an object at 20m distance that others can see at 80m distance. So yes, milk bottles or more carrots required!

Willard Whyte
25th Jun 2010, 21:36
I'm guessing the equal opportunities Nazis won't allow one to refer to 20/80s as specky tw**s?

Hey ho, glad I'm PA.

Willard Whyte
25th Jun 2010, 21:43
Best advice is to take the table above to your optician, have your eyes tested, show them the info, and ask what you will pass based on their measurementsFrom experience, best advice is to give eyesight chart a bit of a scan on the way in and memorise the bottom line. 6/4 every time. Not bad for an old'un.

NDW
27th Jun 2010, 08:39
Thank's for all the replies back.

I shall book another eyesight check within the next two weeks (It's free as Im under 19 and in full time education - which is always a bonus).

And

Would it be a good idea to send a copy of my eyesight check to RAF Cranwell OASC so they could give me an answer also?

Thanks

NDW

getsometimein
27th Jun 2010, 18:09
Cranwell do their own eye test at OASC, so they'll completely ignore anything you send to them.

Skittles
27th Jun 2010, 23:45
Well if your eyesight isn't good enough for the position in which you are interested, you will never get to OASC for that position.

When you go into your AFCO to register interest they will ask about eyesight etc and whether you wear corrective lenses etc etc. If you are interested in aircrew they will give you an opthalmic supplement and ask you to get it completed. It consists of an extended eye test conducted at your regular optician (specsavers etc), the cost of which is refunded by the AFCO if I remember correctly.

You then return the supplement to the AFCO and it is sent off along with your details and the positions which you are interested in. You then receive a letter in the post telling you whether you would be suitable for any of the positions for which you displayed an interest.

@ Willard - These days opticians rotate the display to a series of randomized letters, which you see off a computer screen in a mirror. You can't memorize anything, unfortunately.

NDW
14th Jul 2010, 17:24
Many thanks for all your replies.

I've booked an eyesight check with a Private Optician, he flies at our local airport as a PPL holder and is an ex Military optician, or so I've heard.

Finally regarding the eyesight of WSO at 6/24 is that in both eyes together or each eye individually?

Many thanks

Nathan