PDA

View Full Version : Beechcraft King Air 100 crash on takeoff, 7 dead, AeroPro

alph2z
23rd Jun 2010, 16:06
Beechcraft King Air 100 crash at 6h on takeoff, 7 dead, AeroPro

Beechcraft King Air 100 s'est écrasé vers 6h mercredi matin quelques minutes seulement après son décollage de l'Aéroport de Québec, tuant les sept passagers et membres d'équipage à son bord. Selon ce qu'il a été possible d'apprendre dans les dernières minutes, un employé de l'entreprise Cegerco, Normand Tremblay, est du nombre des victimes.

----------------------

CTV.ca News Staff

A small plane crashed near Quebec City's Jean-Lesage Airport Wednesday morning and exploded into a fireball, killing all seven people on board.

Five passengers were aboard the twin-engine plane along with two crew. Police have not confirmed the identities of the victims.

The plane, bound for Sept-Iles, Que., reportedly had trouble at takeoff, at 5:57 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

The pilot radioed he was experiencing trouble with the right engine and asked to return to the airport. Seconds later, the plane crashed into a grassy area in a rural neighbourhood about two kilometres north of the airport and burst into flames.

Though firefighters arrived quickly, reports say there is little left of the plane.

The pilot sounded relatively calm in his distress call to the Quebec City airport traffic control tower.

"Quebec tower, Aeropro 201 (here), we have a right engine problem, we're going to return for landing," the pilot said.

"Roger," the controller responded. He then asked if the pilot needed emergency services.

"Affirmative, we are unable to climb," the pilot answered.

Seconds later, another voice comes onto the control tower recording: "There was a fireball only three knots from the airport. I believe it's a King Air from Aeropro that just crashed."

CTV Montreal's John Grant says the plane crashed not even 50 metres from a house, waking the family inside.

"They looked out their window and saw a ball of fire in their yard. So clearly, it could have been much worse if there had been any people hurt or killed on the ground," he told CTV News Channel Wednesday morning from the scene.

The Canadian Press reports that plane crashed into the property of former NHL hockey player Mario Marois, a former captain for the Quebec Nordiques and current scout for the Carolina Hurricanes. Marois was not home at the time but members of his family witnessed the scene.

The plane was a Beechcraft King Air 100. Grant says investigators aren't clear why the aircraft crashed.

"It's difficult for the experts to understand why the crash happened, because normally, that kind of aircraft can fly and can continue to climb on one engine," he said.

The plane belonged to a charter company called Aéropro. The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the accident.

The accident comes one month after another plane crashed at île-aux-Grues, killing four people. That plane in that accident, a Cessna 172, carried the Aéropro logo, but the company says the aircraft was operated by a different company.

Jumbo744
23rd Jun 2010, 16:15
Very sad...I saw this aircraft many times in CYHU. My condolences to the families.

Small plane crashes near Quebec City airport

The Gazette June 23, 2010 7:36 AM

MONTREAL - A small plane with seven people on board crashed Wednesday morning near Jean Lesage airport in Quebec City.

Five passengers and two crew members were aboard the Aéropro King Air 100 plane when it crashed and burst into flames shortly after takeoff.

At least four people were killed in the crash, LCN reports.

The pilot notified the airport that he was experiencing engine problems shortly before the plane crashed at 6 a.m. in a field near the airport.

Municipal firefighters, airport emergency crews, ambulances and police are on the scene.

Aéropro offers private charter flights from airports in Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Sept-îles and St. Hubert.

More details to follow.

Story - Montreal Gazette (http://www.montrealgazette.com/Small+plane+crashes+Quebec+City+airport/3190171/story.html#ixzz0rfwLzbCN)

xavtwin
23rd Jun 2010, 18:19
I've worked for Aeropro in 07-09 - bad news for the company -

Sincéres Condoléances.

clunckdriver
23rd Jun 2010, 18:49
Xavtwin, is this a PT6 or Garrett powered King Air? Very sad, met one of their crews in Bagotville a little while back, two young pilots living their dreams, such a loss.

RobertMB
23rd Jun 2010, 19:56
Aeropro is operating the Beechcraft A100 King Air and it's a PT6A-28 (620shp) powered version (c/n range Beechcraft 100 King Air: B-1 ~ B-89, Beechcraft A100 King Air B-90 ~ B-247). Both 100 and A100 have PT6A-28's. The A100 is and improved version of the 100 model with increased MTOW to 11,500 lb (5,220 kg), fuel capacity increased by 94 US Gallons (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Gallon) (357 litres), and four-bladed propellers.
The Beechcraft B100 King Air has Garrett TPE331-6-252B engines of 725shp each and an increased MTOW to 11,800 lb (5,350 kg). (c/n range BE-1 ~ BE-137)

BR,

Robert

robbreid
24th Jun 2010, 04:05
Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System (CADORS) - Report (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/rpt.aspx?lang=eng&ref=&rptcads=2010Q1242&cads=&cadorsno=&regcd=5&occdtefrom=2010-06-22&occdteto=2010-06-23&occtypecd=0&fatop=%3E=&fatal=0&aeroidtxt=&aeroidcd=&loc=CYQB&provcd=5&accatcd=0&acoptxt=&acopcd=&acmaketxt=&acmakecd=&acmodeltxt=&acmodelcd=&evnts=&evtype=0&narr=)

alph2z
24th Jun 2010, 05:25
The last communications between plane and ATC are on liveatc; in french. Also, on many news sources.

The pilot's comment about unable to climb is surprisingly calm.

alser
24th Jun 2010, 09:09
Why is the ATC in French? I thought English was the international standard for air to ground comms??

CL300
24th Jun 2010, 10:22
Not going into this battle again; among official languages usable on air to ground coms there is french, russian, arabic and chineese. the headquarters of ICAO is located in Montreal, Quebec; which is french speaking...

But english is a very easy language to speak, so there it is..

alser
24th Jun 2010, 10:44
Sounds crazy. So if I want to fly to this place, I just have to go do a quick course in French??

604guy
24th Jun 2010, 11:19
So if I want to fly to this place, I just have to go do a quick course in French??

Did you even bother listening to the audio clip? Did you not notice at least two crews transmitting and recieving in English?

alser
24th Jun 2010, 11:28
Yes, I did listen to part of the tape, and yes, I did hear a crew speaking English.
What I am asking is, does one have to be multilingual to operate in such places?

I would personally like to hear all the conversation in my piece of sky, not just the bits in English.

alser
24th Jun 2010, 12:04
Obviously in CTA, only the controller has to be bilingual, but how does it work away from controlled airspace? Do English pilots have to speak French and vice-versa?

robbreid
24th Jun 2010, 12:56
Certainly can get confusing when the aircraft around you are speaking French, however if you respond to ATC in English, they will politely speak English to you.

There is no requirement for non-French speaking aircrews to speak French.

Grum
24th Jun 2010, 14:57
:rolleyes: I suggest you open a new thread for this irrelevant debate. It is inappropriate and off topic.

Tragic

Crosswind Limits
24th Jun 2010, 16:13
As an alleged CPL holder Asler you should know that French is a recognised ICAO language! :rolleyes::=

Presume all your flying has been done in the middle of nowhere - what language is spoken there?? Australian!! :p

supermoix
25th Jun 2010, 04:51
Al, World is bigger than one language, and aviation have five official languages, check ICAO.

And let me tell you, English in all different dialects, accents and modisms can be as hard to understand even to other English speakers... too many different tribes!

Sad loss, my condolences to the fellow crews and families.

alser
25th Jun 2010, 09:50
Thank you Robbreid. :ok:

Crosswind,

I have done all my flying here...it is a big place. I can fly straight and level for more than 15 minutes and not go overseas! :p

A very sad loss. We had a similar accident in Sydney recently, with a twin going down in the suburbs.

alph2z
26th Jun 2010, 21:24
Why has this thread moved to the Biz Jets, Ag, GA forum ?? 5 passengers died. What's the minimum ??

Also, in the news vids one can see one of the separated engines, very near the small crash site, and notice that the prop has an extremely fine pitch and only one blade of the 3 is considerably damaged.

One witness said he heard one loud explosion (sounded like lightning) and then later a 2nd explosion. I believe the weather was nice at the time.