PDA

View Full Version : Any Avgas in the Lake District...?

kevin_mayes
23rd Jun 2010, 16:01
Hi, Chaps... & Chapesses...
We are taking the 47 (along with a few other machines) to the lake district the weekend - Great Langdale, does anybody know if there is any avgas around at local sites?
We can make the trip in one hop but I would like to fly around a bit whilst there...
Over here near Whitby we have local farmstrips with fuel (cash only) so a splash and dash is avaliable.
Let me know
Cheers
Kevin.

JTobias
23rd Jun 2010, 18:39
Carlisle is possibly the closest airfield to the lakes if that helps. (I guess you probably know that though!)

Joel

kevin_mayes
23rd Jun 2010, 19:01
Hi, Joel...
Yeah, was looking for 40ltrs in a field sort of thing... never mind.
Cheers
Kev...

md 600 driver
23rd Jun 2010, 21:19
kevin

got some avgas once from the autogyro site north of the lakes

steve

stringfellow
23rd Jun 2010, 22:17
forgive me... its been a long day. are we talking turbine fuel here??? if so cark will sell you however much you want, but you cannot go in at weekend as its a busy parachute centre. pm me if you want any details as i know the owner.

JimBall
24th Jun 2010, 10:00
Not good for AVGAS. Better for A1. Barrow (Walney) has A1 but no AVGAS.

All other possible sources that I've tried on many occasions just don't want to sell their AVGAS.

So - if heading from south - we now simply fill at Blackpool and then if we need more whilst in the Lakes we go to Carlisle.

MightyGem
24th Jun 2010, 21:00
forgive me... its been a long day. are we talking turbine fuel here
Errr...no. AVGAS = Aviation Gasoline, ie petrol. :ok:

Droopy
25th Jun 2010, 02:33
Lakes gliding cub operates at weekends out of Walney, don't know what they do for fuel in their tug.

kevin_mayes
25th Jun 2010, 07:50
Thanks chaps.
It looks like Carlise is the one (39 mins flight time in the 47), there must be a market here for drums of Avgas dotted around on farms and an internet booking site etc... even if it was expensive the fuel cost is insignificant in all the miryad of other helicopter related expense.
Thanks once again.
Kev.

chopjock
25th Jun 2010, 08:44
Ever considered landing next to a petrol station? You could acquire some "lead substitute" additive beforehand and top up with high octane unleaded from the pumps with a jerry can. Something I had to do once or twice out in the sticks. If you do put it in sooner rather than on empty.

PENNINE BOY
25th Jun 2010, 11:51
Might be able to leave you 60lts at a site in Cartmel not far from the swan at Newby Bridge.

Good idea about a website for small fuel dumps around the uk. We have one or too dotted around Blackburn and Saddleworth near Oldham. Saves on the crazy landing fees and handling charges that have crept in lately. :ok:

stringfellow
25th Jun 2010, 12:15
im at haverthwaite with more trailers than ifor williams, if you want to drop some here you are welcome. it will be secure and il run it out to an lz for you if need be. i know of loads of bowsers but they are all too miserable to sell any.