PDA

View Full Version : Military Choppers over Gravesend?

pistongone
22nd Jun 2010, 19:24
I saw a high amount of military and a few civvie choppers over Gravesend Kent tonight around 19.30hrs. There were a couple of Chinooks, 3 or 4 Merlins, a couple os sea kings and some civvie stuff. They were pootling along low (100'?) going west and it seemed high over the top (4-500')going east? Carried on like this for appx 30mins or so? Any one have any info what the occaision was please?
Safe Flying,
PG.

tony 1969
23rd Jun 2010, 15:50
Dunno,
But there was also an apache circling low level around shears green school area last wednesday.
Lets face it Gravesend would benefit from some targetted bombing anyway...

PPRuNeUser0211
23rd Jun 2010, 18:18
There's a notam out for an exercise in the Thames estuary. That help?

DBChopper
23rd Jun 2010, 20:06
I quite like Tony 1969's Gravesend bombing idea :ok:

IBatch
24th Jun 2010, 00:04
Hi all - first post, be gentle ;)

I just wondered if anybody had found out any more info on what the choppers may have been doing?

I live by the river and went and had a nose at what was going on around 7.30 ish and saw the chinook land very briefly (somewhere between Gravesend and Dartford) while the 3 smaller choppers hovered around it. They then all flew off back down-river. All the time the Sea King was patrolling the area much higher up.

Then at about 8.30 a customs boat came up the river with the Sea King hovering about 50 ft above it. A person was lowered down onto the boat, and then pretty much straight back up again.

And now at about 11.30pm tonight (June 23rd), a few small choppers were again over the river just outside my flat but it was too dark to see what they were up to.

I assume it must be just a training exercise or something, but I'd be really interested to find out what is going on!

JimBall
24th Jun 2010, 10:04
There's a load of cross-agency training happening this week. In London at 0115 t'other night the entire city was awakened by a Merlin batting down the river at about 500ft. Then going back the other way at about 2am.

We think he was looking for the 24hr Krispy Kreme drive-thru on the A10 that gets frequented by various uniformed and non-uniformed personnel! However, it's only open 7 days a week, 0630 to midnight.

IBatch
24th Jun 2010, 19:01
Thanks JimBall, that clears that up then. Shame though, I thought something really interesting was going on!