PDA

View Full Version : Armed forces' operational allowance to be doubled.

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2010, 12:31
Good I hope that is worth some much needed addition pay to you all, God knows you deserve it......

Emergency Budget 2010 live - Emergency Budget 2010 - MSN Money UK (http://money.uk.msn.com/emergency-budget-2010/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=153870354)

Though there is a freeze on public sector wages..... as an ex serviceman, I see both sides, I haven't had a payrise in 4 years as with a lot of us in the private sector.

Wyler
22nd Jun 2010, 12:44
Good news but old news. It was announced by Cameron on his last visit to Afghanistan some days ago.

Balance that, however, with the 25% cut in the Defence Budget over the next 4 or so years.

Ouch!!

snafu
23rd Jun 2010, 12:37
Personally, I think the Op Allowance should be restructured into three bands:

Band 1 - less than the old allowance, paid to personnel who spend the majority or all of their time behind the wire at BSN, KAF etc.
Band 2 - about the same as the old allowance, paid to those personnel who go outside the wire but aren't based in the FOBs or PBs.
Band 3 - the same as the new rate (ie twice the old allowance) or more, paid to those personnel spending most of their time in the FOBs and PBs.

On this theory, aircrew should be on Band 2.

Discuss!!:ok:

Harley Quinn
23rd Jun 2010, 15:28
Excellent idea snafu, perhaps the pay could be biased to the rotary guys who get in harms way rather than the fast jet guys who don't?

FJ = Band 1

Rotary= Band 3

Or maybe you vould have an allowance based on how many times you have contact with the enemy?
Or how many rocket attacks you are on the receiving end of?

I don't know the answer, but saw the homecoming parade of 11 Light Brigade on TV earlier, 64 KIA, no word on those wounded in action- whatever those guys and their NOK get, it's not really enough is it?

Gnd
23rd Jun 2010, 16:17
Get over yourselves kids, any one will smart with a mortar on their bonce!!!

The inf are the ones at 3!!

StopStart
23rd Jun 2010, 16:34
On this theory, aircrew should be on Band 2.

Clearly a low quality fishing expedition but as a low quality fish I'll bite :}

Soooo aircrew being based inside a MOB are at less risk and should therefore be paid less Opp Allce? So the biggest single UK loss of life to enemy action? C130 based at a MOB. Total of 3 UK C130s lost to enemy action in both theatres. Rotary aircrew are in another league completely!

Whilst I know banter when I see it, there are still plenty of people out there that actually believe that life is just beer and skittles for anyone that isn't in a FOB. As yer man says, the odd mortar round lobbed over the fence is still going to make your eyes water. I'd be interested to see what the occupants of Basra COB would have thought of this particular proposal..... :ok:

Melchett01
23rd Jun 2010, 16:53
An interesting proposition, and on paper a seemingly easy distinction to make. As you suggest, the guys and girls out in the FOBs would quite rightly end up on Rate 3; given that we don't currently have different rates of OA, the fact that those in the FOBs now qualify for work of unpleasant nature allowance (or whatever it is called) is indicative of the the extra hardships faced in comparison with those in 'Slipper City' at KAF or BSN.

However, that is the only clear cut distinction you can make. If aircrew are to be on Rate 2 because they go 'outside the wire', I can only assume there will be a Rate 2a,b and c to differentiate between the threats faced by RW, tac AT and FJ / Strat AT? If I were to be ever so slightly facetious, I would hazard to suggest that once off the deck and at normal operating altitudes, boredom and DVT are the biggest threats faced by the FJ / Strat AT community in comparison with the RW and to a lesser extent Tac AT community.

And then turning to those in Slipper City who should get the least, and quite right too; after all they have all the facilities and luxuries available to them. But being the size and importance that they are, they are also targets. Hypothetically, what would you say to the parents of a Slipper City resident who has just been killed by a stray round of IDF? You would have a hard time convincing them that Slipper City was any safer than being outside the wire.

In sum, life in the sandpit is pretty crap wherever you happen to be, albeit some places are signficantly worse than others. This was the point made a couple of years back when there was a call for a separate Helmand clasp for the Afghan OSM. However, that never happened largely because it would seem to be divisive and misses the point that everyone in theatre has a job to do regardless of location. So it isn't quite so easy as to draw an arbitary line and make up policy on the back of it. I seem to recall that was how we carved up much of the Middle East in the post-WW1 era - and look where that got us!

minigundiplomat
23rd Jun 2010, 21:31
I speak as a SH mate who, like the majority of my colleagues, has been shot at so many times I'm thinking of changing my name to Kennedy.

We should all get the same Op Allowance. We are all cogs in the same machine, and the recent years have exposed the 'slipper city' dwellers to danger such as rockets and mortars.

We face enough threats from society, enemies and most of all... the treasury, without turning on ourselves.

Nobody joins the military to get rich, we join for a myriad of reasons that often transcend mere monetary gain.

Those living in FOB's, or clearing IED's from the lanes of Sangin or Nadi Ali have my respect. They have the respect of the UK population. Most of all, they have self-respect.

Those living in KAF Vegas and working in the hat police or organising work parties to sandbag parking slots return home thinking they had a hard tour and did themselves proud.

Those who put themselves in harms way to help others, and placed their values above their comfort know they had a hard tour and did the nation proud.

They don't need an extra tier of payment, they already have priceless qualities that quite a few who have served on 'ops' will never understand.

kharmael
23rd Jun 2010, 21:54
Well done MGD, finally a grown up comment amongst the squabbles.

Lima Juliet
25th Jun 2010, 23:35
Concur MGD.

Also some based at KAF Vegas do go outside to the PRT or do FP work. So as many have said already, the dividing line would never correctly segregate everyone, so why bother?

The "hat police" comment reminds of the WO from JFS who had been tasked to stand outside the DFAC in the same location each night and remind everyone to wear a hat. After a few days a large scrawled graffiti note appeared where he stood saying:

"What did you do in the War, Daddy?"
"I was in the 'hat police' , Son."
"Daddy, what's a w@nker?"

One of the funniest things I ever read. The graffiti was gone after 24hrs, but so was the WO. So job done!

LJ

Blighter Pilot
26th Jun 2010, 07:47
This tiered extra pay isn't a new idea.

In the early 90s in NI it was discussed as the majority of personnel at Aldergrove didn't go outside the wire for their entire tour.

It was suggested that the infantry units and the flying crews were to keep full NI pay while those not in the 'firing-line' would be paid a reduced amount.

It was scrapped as it was difficult to determine who actually contributed to ops etc as the roles became blurred.

As MGD says - everyone in-theatre has a job to do, regardless of task and the vast majority of us didn't join the military for financial reward.

The Op Allowance is a bonus, squabbling about it might just see it reduced for certain personnel and that would be unfair and unjust.

To everyone currently in the sandpit - stay safe:ok: