PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus Turkish Airways

Teevee
22nd Jun 2010, 12:02
Hi all,

Does anyone have any more knowledge on the state of CTA apart from what is on the news feeds coming out of Turkey? Thankfully we managed to get back last week, but my daughter still on honeymoon, was supposed to be flying back with them on Sunday .... though I'm guessing that won't happen now!:confused:

OPS1978
22nd Jun 2010, 16:22
No Idea sorry is that the airline that flys to the ilegal country of northern cyprus. There is only one airline of cyprus and thats cyprus airways, Cyprus Airways the greek Cypriot airline....

LGS6753
22nd Jun 2010, 18:16
I had heard that CTA was in trouble.
On my last visit to Northern Cyprus (far nicer than OPS1978's southern enclave), we flew Pegasus, who managed to impress me.

Mr Flaps
22nd Jun 2010, 19:01
Dear All
With reference to the Turkish Civil Aviation General Directorate’s letter of 21 June 2010 all Kıbrıs Turkish Airlines flights are suspended until further notice.
As of today we are working hard towards finding a solution to relieve the inconvenience caused to passengers who are planning to fly in the near future.
In view of this respect we are makings attempts to facilitate the carriage of passengers with other airlines that operate to Cyprus.
We believe that we will be out of this negative situation in a short period of time and request that there will be no doubt that operations will be allowed to continue to serve our people, passengers and tourists in a safe environment which we have done for over 36 years

Yours truly,
General Management KTHY

Taken from KTHY.net

akerosid
22nd Jun 2010, 21:46
JetPhotos.Net Photo » TC-MZZ (CN: 29247) KTHY Kibris Türk Hava Yollari Boeing 737-8S3 by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=264731&nseq=0)

Sadly, the airline is bankrupt, with debts of c.EUR120m and still losing around EUR3.5m.

Teevee
23rd Jun 2010, 07:50
Thanks guys, apparently Altas have become a management partner with CTA now though what it means for flights in the near future I'm not sure yet!

JanetFlight
25th Jun 2010, 04:17
Unfortunately it seems the rumours got true...and after only a few days they got their new 738 on their new livery too...

KTHY - K?br?s Türk Hava Yollar? - Do?ru Yerdesiniz! (http://www.kthy.net/)

Really hope all can resolved at the end...founded in 1974.

pwalhx
25th Jun 2010, 08:21
There may be people that argue that, but this is not the place for politics, as the same argument is probably argued all over the world.

Rather sympathy should be for staff and passengers who will loose jobs/flights/holidays.

Capetonian
25th Jun 2010, 09:48
How did El Al survive then?
Air Zimbabwe?

DH-110
25th Jun 2010, 10:23
Message 4

The airline was overstaffed, compounded with a massive debt to suppliers. DH110

Teevee
25th Jun 2010, 10:40
Glad you lot can get into the irrelevancies, but as someone whose daughter has had the last week of her honeymoon totally ruined by this and is, even as I write desperately trying to find a way out of Northern Cyprus I don't find snide remarks or petty arguing at all funny. It didn't help that hopes were raised in midweek when it looked like Atlasjet were trying to sort things out but that seems to have now fallen through. But for those desperately searching for help, I would ask for a little consideration.

Keyvon
25th Jun 2010, 10:56
@ Teevee

Has she booked a package holiday ?
I doubt any ATOL-bonded tour operator would leave you stranded abroad.

In case of DIY holiday, well, it's sad to say but...wriggle out of it by yourself!

Wizofoz
25th Jun 2010, 10:57
...So your daughte having temporary travel problems is more relevent than hundreds of people losing their jobs and creditors being out millions???

bcn_boy
25th Jun 2010, 13:03
What is the problem with Turkish Cypriots flying Cyprus Airways which is the national airline of Cyprus anyway? They complain about the cost of flying various Turkish airlines. Or if CA are too expensive then any of the other airlines that fly out of Larnaca and Paphos? Turkish Cypriots are free to cross the Green Line and into the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus at anytime. They have Cyprus and therefore EU passports and there are excellent transport links from Nicosia all over the island. Unfortunately, this is all the fault of the authorities in the North. They do not like TC's travelling over the green line, both for shopping and to exit Cyprus. They get a very hard time on their return. What is worse, there are not many Turkish Cypriots left in the north now anyway so there is no wonder the airline is defunct. The settlers from Anatolia far out number them now. Very sad indeed.

Teevee
25th Jun 2010, 13:09
Wizofoz, where does that come from? I don't find any of the concerns you speak of raised in the first three or four posts either. (apart from pwaIhx)I know these people, been there often and I'm bright enough to know that it doesn't matter about the numbers - whether its hundreds or just one, - it's a personal tragedy for all involved. But there is something I don't understand ... Altasjet already did a couple of rescue flights on Wednesday night anticipating taking over the routes because the TRNC govt had pulled the plug on KTHY for three months. I can't see that as being anything other than a death knell for KTHY as they stand at the moment, but had the management arrangement with Atlasjet gone ahead surely at least SOME jobs would have been saved. Surely all the unions have achieved, (because that what it looks like) is that ALL the KTHY employees will go down the job plughole? I know there's been some allegation of unions sabotaging an earlier 'bid' by Atlasjet - a disappearing written bid? - and arrests I believe, but how can that possibly help the KTHY employees?

Tranceaddict
25th Jun 2010, 14:39
From Atlasjet suspends bailout plan with Turkish Cypriot Airlines [ WORLD BULLETIN- TURKEY NEWS, WORLD NEWS ] (http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=60484)

Atlasjet suspends bailout plan with Turkish Cypriot Airlines
Atlasjet said in a statement that the bail out plan was bound to fail as administrators and staff was not fully cooperating.
Friday, 25 June 2010 15:22

Atlasjet, an airlines company from Turkey said its suspended partnership talks with Turkish Cypriot Airlines (KTHY), the financially troubled national aircarrier of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

Atlasjet said in a statement that the bail out plan was bound to fail as administrators and staff was not fully cooperating.

It said as soon as they reached an agreement for partnership they initiated works to manage and structure the 100 million USD debt of the company, noting however that KTHY personnel was not cooperating and allowing Atlasjet to access documents and info on the debts of the company.

The company said even though the operating license of KTHY was suspended by the Northern Cyprus Civil Aviation Authority for three months, they took all risks on a bid to rescue the airline company, adding that they had no choice but to suspend the partnership talks as the administrators and the personnel of the company refused to cooperate.

Meanwhile Acting Director General of KTHY Selim Altincik resigned earlier today.

The civil aviation authority of the TRNC has suspended all flights conducted by KTHY and suspended its operation certificate last Tuesday.

KTHY is reported to owe nearly 40 million USD to the Turkish Cypriot Civil Aviation Department.

Following the suspension of flights, Hava-Sen, Union of Workers of the Turkish Cypriot Air Carrier, had started a strike at Ercan Airport.

Following long-running financial problems and growing debts, now around 100 million USD, Turkish Cypriot government decided to call for bids last month to find a partner to KTHY.

Turkish Cypriot government held talks with two Turkish airlines companies, Atlasjet and Pegasus, and finally on Tuesday it agreed with Atlasjet on a 50-50 profit sharing for five years.

Under the agreement which was scheduled to be signed between Turkish Cypriot government and Atlasjet today, Atlesjet was going to hold 50.01 percent of shares in KTHY. The move aimed to reduce KTHY's debts to 10 billion USD in the first six months of partnership.

AA

TSR2
25th Jun 2010, 15:01
Following long-running financial problems and growing debts, now around 100 million USD

The move aimed to reduce KTHY's debts to 10 billion USD

Sounds like a good rescue plan !

Teevee
25th Jun 2010, 16:16
Earlier Keyvon wrote ...

"sad to say but...wriggle out of it by yourself!"

They've wriggled! Coming back next Wednesday night from the South but there's lots of others still stuck by the looks of things. They were lucky to have me and others at this end folowing every forum on KTHY on the net and Northern Cyprus news to give them every bit of information we could, far more than they were getting in TNCR. I think a lot of other people out there are still bewildered and hoping someone will bail them out.

From what I can see that isn't going to happen and the longer people wait, the harder it gets to get a flight out.