PDA

View Full Version : Air Efficiency Medal

Prangster
21st Jun 2010, 19:59
My dear departed Pathfinder step fathers medal group included an Air Efficiency Medal and as fathers day has just lurched past I got to wondering what the issue criteria was. His operational record was a rather impressive, 68 bomber ops and a DFC. During my own VR T service I can't ever recall seeing another AEM ribbon. Are they still issued?

Green Flash
21st Jun 2010, 20:16
They sure are - I've got one! 16+ years of undiscovered RAFVR/RAFSR crime!;)

Issued for 10 years of trying to do two jobs at once. One of our unit had an AE and bar (and I think bar!). They have been superceded by another gong, the name of which eludes me. There are a few to be seen in reserve units, a green and yellow ribbon.

Pontius Navigator
21st Jun 2010, 21:13
Wiked
pedia has the answer: Air Efficiency Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Efficiency_Award)

ExAscoteer
21st Jun 2010, 21:36
Awarded for 10 Years CONTINUOUS Service in the RAFVR, RAFVR(T) and RAuxAF.

My late Father had the AE and 2 bars. Because his service was interrupted, even though he did over 40 years in the Reserves, he never got the third bar.

The AE was one of very few of the medals (unlike,say, medals awarded for bravery), where the recipient's name is engraved into the edge of the medal.

It was a silver medal hung on a green ribbon with two closely spaced silver stripes at the centre of the ribbon.

Darwinism
22nd Jun 2010, 04:43
ExAscoteer says "The AE was one of very few of the medals (unlike,say, medals awarded for bravery), where the recipient's name is engraved into the edge of the medal."

I'm pretty sure that my LSGCM has my name engraved into the edge and that certainly wasn't issued for bravery!

November4
22nd Jun 2010, 07:45
I'm pretty sure that my LSGCM has my name engraved into the edge and that certainly wasn't issued for bravery!

Mine has my details on as well as the Gulf pt 1 medal. The chocolate drop medal hasn't though. Probably because the metal was too cheap to take the imprint....

Descend to What Height?!?
22nd Jun 2010, 07:52
The AE is/was NOT awarded to RAFVR(T) only to those serving in HM Reserve Air Forces that had a liability to call out into permanant service. RAFR, RAuxAF, RAF (VR) etc. RAFVR(T) get Cadet Forces Medal for their long service and undetected crimes...

Look closely at a number of serving RAFR / RAuxAF personnel and you will see quite a collection of silver wear, and a number do have 2 or more bars to their AEs!

The AE has been replaced with the Tri Service Volunteer Reserve Service Medal. The qualifying criteria are very similar to the AE.

Rules are in AP3392 Vol 7 Regulations for the Reserve Air Forces

Duncan D'Sorderlee
22nd Jun 2010, 07:59
Duncan D'Sorderlee Sr had the AEM and 2 bars - he did 37 years in the RAuxAF prior to his 60th birthday; at the time compulsory retirement age. The rest of the time he was a regular.

He was famed for his Sunday morning breakfasts whilst on Camp.

Duncs:ok:

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jun 2010, 09:31
GSM was inscribed. My father's theatre medals had his name on the back. Of my grandfather's 10 medals only the MC and the Croix de Guerre were not so inscribed.

Squirrel 41
22nd Jun 2010, 18:55
Anorak mode: ON

As DTWH? correctly notes, the AE was replaced by the VRSM. The AE required (IIRC) 10 "Certificates of Efficient Service" in any 12 year period - in other words, a reservist had to qualify for 10 annual bounties in 12 years. (IIRC, this was less onerous than a TD qualification, but was still a notable achievement.) AEs got a bar at 10 years' additional service, whereas the VRSM gets a bar at five years.

Other than the medal itself, the major thing that distinguished the AE and the TD (not sure about the RNR one) was that the AE / TD entitled the recipient to the postnominal AE / TD, and the VRSM does not; only the special Queen's Volunteer Reserve Service Medal (QVRSM) does.

So far, so boring. What was poorly done in the changeover was that if Officers had completed half of the qualifying period at the time of the changeover, then they could opt to have an AE. However, NCOs were denied this and had to have the "lesser" VRSM; a crass decision, really, and one that created lots of bad feeling for no reason at all.

Anorak mode: OFF

S41

Union Jack
22nd Jun 2010, 20:00
Other than the medal itself, the major thing that distinguished the AE and the TD (not sure about the RNR one) was that the AE / TD entitled the recipient to the postnominal AE / TD ....

..... whilst RNVR officers received the post nominal Volunteer Reserve Decoration (VRD) and RNR officers received the RD, as did officers in the "new" RNR when the RNR and RNVR combined in 1966 as RNR List 1 and List 3 respectively. All in all, a vast improvement from the days before 1947 when RNVR officers were awarded the post nominal Volunteer Decoration, the abbreviation for which I have conveniently forgotten! Sailors received the RNR and RNVR LS&GC medal.

Jack

caped crusader
22nd Jun 2010, 20:33
Although the AE medal was awarded for 10 years service in the reserves, war service counted as double time. So a member of the then Aux Air Force or VR who served for 5 years in the war would have qualified.

Not all those reservists who served in WWII knew about this. I recently had the privelige of helping a WWII veteran claim his medal. He joined the Aux AF in April 1939 and was discharged in late 1945.

I believe it was only officers who could use the post nominal AE.

CC

Squirrel 41
22nd Jun 2010, 21:25
I believe it was only officers who could use the post nominal AE.

It may have been the case at one time, but by the end of the RAFVR it was common for all to use it. Quite right too, IMHO.

S41

Wycombe
22nd Jun 2010, 22:00
Well remember attending both service and non-service events in No.5 with my "mini" AE and experiencing surprise of regulars present that a mere "Oggie" could have a medal :eek:

To be fair, most folk were quite interested in understanding the commitment that had to be made in order to earn it (bounty qualification was also a fairly good incentive, of course!)

Only regret for me was that despite mobilisation for GW1 (before such events were the norm that they are today), I wasn't sent somewhere that entitled me to a Campaign gong :{

Tankertrashnav
23rd Jun 2010, 08:26
Quite a lot of confusion about the naming of medals on here.

Since British campaign medals were first issued after Waterloo, they have almost always been named, the major exception being the campaign stars and medals for WW2 which were issued unnamed, except those issued to South Africans and Australians. Current and recent campaign medals for Afghanistan, Northern Ireland etc are of course named. NATO and UN medals follow the pattern of most foreign medals, in that they are unnamed. Long Service medals of all types are always named, including the Air Efficiency Award. Gallantry Medals were unusual in that prior to the John Major reforms in the 90's, those awarded to officers (MC, DFC etc) were unnamed, whereas the equivalent awarded to other ranks (MM, DFM etc) were named. I have not seen a recently issued gallantry medal, but I assume the MCs, DFCs etc which are now available to all ranks remain unnamed (clarification welcomed from anyone who has one).

Incidentally it is incorrect to describe the naming as engraved, details are in fact impressed by machine. A medal with obviously engraved naming is usually a fake, or a renamed medal, and regarded with grave suspicion by the collector!

Prangster
23rd Jun 2010, 14:21
Thanks for the heads up on this guys. Never realised it was for services rendered I always thought Cookies gong was for a rather spendid bit of airmanship. ie saving half a squadron's worth of Hampdens (149 Scampers 1940) He was the only signaller to clock that the forecast winds were way way out and had to nag the skipper into agreement. (DF minimums) Others less on the ball were swept into the Atlantic by the gale force southerlies and never seen again. His crew flew from Holland to Scampton via Newcastle! That to me is air efficiency. Strange are the ways of the official mind. A good show like that goes unrecognised but his 12 years as OC an ATC squadron earns 2 gongs! (The DFC made up for it)

bobward
24th Jun 2010, 12:12
I didn't see this mentioned in the earlier posts - excuse me if I tell you something you already know

The CFM was awarded to RAFVR(T) officers and NCO's for a given length of service. I think it used to be 12 years, with a clasp after a further 8.

Someone must have over stocked on them, as the service length requirements were reduced to 8 and 6 about five years ago. The recipient's name is inscribed on the rim of the medal given as the initial award. The clasp isn't inscribed at all.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Bob

Scribbly520
24th Jun 2010, 19:24
Prangster.

I think you might be muddling up the medals. Your mate did not get the AE for being CO of an ATC Sqn for 12 years. If the medal is the AE, he got it for 10 years in the Reserves - either RAFVR or RAuxAF - (less if it was wartime, although I believe only the AuxAF then qualified). If it is the CFM, that is for being an RAFVR(T) officer in the ATC. If he has both and a DFC, good on him - he has certainly put the service in.

It was called the Air Efficiency medal because you had to have received a Certificate of Efficiency for 10 out of 12 years to qualify (and get your bounty). The Certificate of Efficiency still exists for all reservists to qualify for their training bounty.

Old-Duffer
25th Jun 2010, 05:19
............ in the time qualification for the Cadet Forces Medal.

I thought the qualifying period for the CFM was 12 years for the medal and 6 years for subsequent clasps. Those qualifying periods have been reset at these levels since about 1999 and causing all sorts of chaos amongst those around the boundaries of the new time periods - not to mention Wing Admin Officers bombarded with a flood of questions (only pay claims generate more correspondence than medals!!).

bobward
25th Jun 2010, 11:54
For me,Old Duffer has clinched the argument / discussion....
Those in the proper RAF get the efficiency medal, whilst we humble spacies get the CFM.

We often get CDM's as well, which accounts for the expanding waistlines of some of us.....:ok:

doubledolphins
25th Jun 2010, 16:04
The "RNR" one was/is indeed post nominal.

DD, RD RNR :ok:

Old-Duffer
25th Jun 2010, 16:19
At Her Majesty's Coronation, the commemorative medal was awarded generally to those involved - route lining etc and there was a very limited distribution otherwise.

At the 1977 Silver Jubilee there was an allocation of one per 33 service personnel and a few other criteria.

At the Golden Jubilee, the allocation was those with 5 or more years reckonable service and still in harness on 6 Feb 02. This included RAFVR, RAFVR(T), RAuxAF and RAFR - BUT - if you were an RAFR Class CC you didn't get the gong. This, despite holding a Queen's Commission, wearing the rank, being gazetted etc, holding command over serving airpersons, and generally (apart from the grey hair) being indistinguishable from a 'proper' service bod. The case against the gong was that RAFR-CC was a civil servant and all other arguments were void. This caused a great deal of angst amongst people like ATC Wing Admin officers etc. Needless to say the high priced help were very feeble in fighting the corner for 'their' subordinates.

So what will it be on 6 February 2012 and the Diamond Jubilee?

Any thoughts fellow (and fellowess) pruners?

O-D :ugh:

Tankertrashnav
25th Jun 2010, 16:50
I shouldnt worry about it Old Duffer - the medal itself was one of the cheapest and nastiest medals ever to be presented to HM armed forces. The gold plating on the medal was of such a poor quality that warnings had to be given not to attempt to polish them. If you're really upset about it I can get you a copy for about £25 - and unusually the copies are better than the originals!

BTW DD, did you know that before 1908 the predecessor to the Territorial Decoration (TD) was known as the Volunteer Decoration

Volunteer Decoration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_Decoration)

- and it had post-nominal letters too?

:)

Union Jack
25th Jun 2010, 17:06
BTW DD, did you know that before 1908 the predecessor to the Territorial Decoration (TD) was known as the Volunteer Decoration

Volunteer Decoration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- and it had post-nominal letters too?

..... yes, and scabs!:uhoh:

Jack

doubledolphins
25th Jun 2010, 22:16
Yes I did. Then later the RNR got the RD and the RNVR got the VRD. The RD ribbon is the same dark green as shown for the VD but with silver edges. (Or should it be mercury?) These were added so it showed up on the navy blue uniform. Odd, I know, but true.

When the TD, RD and AE were replaced by the VRSM it was decided that the new medal would be awarded after ten years as this had been the time for the AE. The RD was 15 years and the TD was some thing in between, 12 years I think. RNR ratings used to be awarded the RNR Long Service and Good Conduct Medal after 15 years. Now the new medal is for all ranks and rates. So we now have the rather stupid sustem where RNR ratings get a long service medal before they get their third Badge. Which is awarded after 12 years. To prevent reserve officers getting too upset about not having a post nominal award a new medal The Queens Volunteer Reserve Medal was instigated. This is post nominal and is awarded (once in a blue moon for the RNR) in New Year and Birthday honours lists.

Squirrel 41
25th Jun 2010, 22:42
DD,

You obviously know all about this. What's the story with the award of QVRMs? Who is in charge of dishing them out? How many are awarded? What are the criteria? I was thinking that I can think of a few who ought to be considered but I don't know how we go about doing something about this.

Cheers,

S41

sconenav
24th Sep 2011, 16:46
I was awarded an AE about 60 years ago for service with the RAFVR as a navigator. However it seems to me to be a rather ill named award as it may be given neither for efficency nor - necessarily - service in the air.

Tankertrashnav
25th Sep 2011, 21:02
It's the same with a lot of medals Sconenav -some are more deserved than others. Not for nothing is the OBE described as being for Other Buggers' Efforts! Sounds like you did your bit to get yours anyway - and that's the main thing.

All the best.

TTN

Milt
25th Sep 2011, 23:17
More Thread Creep

AFC and Citation. The RAF thought fit to award me with an AFC way back in the 50s for some test flying on the V bombers. The medal was presented in Australia. I am still wondering what is in the citation. Where might it be?

Wg Cdr Clive Saxelby was my CO at Boscombe Down. He was also awarded an AFC at the same time. Sax was about to emerge from the tunnel during the Great Escape when the Jerries discovered the exodus forcing Sax to turn around. That would have been the first day of the rest of his life as most of those who were in front of him were recaptured and executed.

Old-Duffer
26th Sep 2011, 05:34
Milt,

The recommendation/citation might be in the National Archives at Kew in the AIR/ series of files.

I have always found searching records at Kew is best left to somebody who knows what they're doing, as there can be a great deal of wasted time waiting for documents and finding they weren't what you really wanted.

There are many researchers who advertise their wares and a google search might reveal somebody with whom you can strike a deal. I have a researcher (whom I've never met) who does a superb job for me and her charges are very reasonable.

The downside is that prior to the Freedom of Information Act (introduced at no cost - of course) many public depts got wise and destroyed masses of historical information so that they could say; 'we don't have that info - clear off'. However, if the citation still exists, it might already have been sent to the NA before the FoI came in.

Old Duffer

monkeymp
9th Aug 2014, 17:08
I am the medal coordinator at the Ulster Aviation Society. Recently I have had a few ex WW2 Flyers asking me why they haven`t got the AE even though they have served the correct number of years. One gentleman came into our museum (Lisburn Co Antrim) and informed me that he joined the RAFVR in Mar 1941 and served to Jan 1947, he then re-joined the R AuxAF in 1950 and served until 1961. At no time did any of his units notify him that he was entitled to a AE. Can any one advise me if they can still issue the AE and can be awarded backdated.

Tankertrashnav
10th Aug 2014, 16:37
monkeymp All medals can still be awarded as long as the recipients meet the criteria for their award. Some years ago I applied for my father's Territorial Efficiency Medal which he had never received, even though he had died around 30 years earlier. The medal duly arrived, correctly named, and I was pleased to mount it with his other WW2 medals before we had them framed.

Wander00
10th Aug 2014, 17:36
Milt, at the risk of carping, the "50" were, IMHO, "murdered" not "executed" which is a legal process. Their deaths were not. Rant mode "off"

BEagle
11th Aug 2014, 06:42
Tankertrashnav wrote: All medals can still be awarded as long as the recipients meet the criteria for their award.

So can those of us who were serving at the time now apply for the Queen's Silver Jubilee medal....:E ??

Tankertrashnav
11th Aug 2014, 08:12
So can those of us who were serving at the time now apply for the Queen's Silver Jubilee medal.... ??

Of course, if you met the criteria at the time. In the case of the QSJM I believe the criterion was that yours was the name that came out of the hat.

If that wasn't the case, then I fear you have no chance ;)

ICM
11th Aug 2014, 08:22
For the Silver Jubilee Medal, I know that my Boss had barely 24 hours to put names to a pre-determined mix of Ranks and Trades passed down to him.

Pontius Navigator
11th Aug 2014, 08:30
Of course, if you met the criteria at the time. In the case of the QSJM I believe the criterion was that yours was the name that came out of the hat.

If that wasn't the case, then I fear you have no chance ;)

This goes back to parsimonious Governments saving money. They had to issue a medal but couldn't afford it.

What's wrong with BYO? At least then it comes without a brown stain. Today who would know, all recipients will have retired, or soon will.

Same is true of the GJM for CC or those serving who missed out.

Morally they deserve it, it is not the same as Walts with campaign medal for campaigns they weren't in or DFC or CAM to which they weren't entitled.

Lima Juliet
11th Aug 2014, 22:31
Talking of the AE Medal, anyone know if this reccomendation from the Future Reserves 2020 paper is being taken forward?

Recommendation – Volunteer Reserve Decorations:
Consideration is given to the reinstatement of Volunteer Reserve decorations (ie Reserve Decoration (RNR/RMR), Territorial Decoration and Air Efficiency medal) for long service and efficiency, recognising the different sacrifices made by Reservists.

Old-Duffer
12th Aug 2014, 05:29
LJ,

I expect the answer is: 'a committee will look at it in due course'.

Logically, it depends on the precise TofRs and CofS that these people are employed on. If they are reservists, do they come under a category which already exists or is there a new grouping in which they will be mustered?

However, it would be rather difficult to have eg long service awards for regulars and for volunteer reservists but leave out these 'regular reserves'; the moreso because of the intended purpose of the new class of reserves and their integration with the regular forces.

Old Duffer

MPN11
12th Aug 2014, 09:35
Apologies for bring the Army into the debate :ooh: but ...

My late father was pre-War TA (Royal Artillery) and was, of course, called up full-time at STARTEX. After a year or so of hurling flax at the Luftwaffe in SE England, he was commissioned and in due course, along with many others, was awarded the Efficiency Medal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficiency_Medal). The 'double-counting' of wartime service years obviously accelerated the process.

Anecdotally, it appears that as these ribbons were put up, the Regular Army RA officers were shocked to find their Messes had been occupied by numerous officers who had evidently been pre-War TA rankers. :cool:

pjdgm
14th Oct 2016, 00:39
HI Can anyone help me ? im trying to figure out if a an RAFVR LAC would be entitled to the medal or not struggling to work it out.

Service dates:

30th Oct 1940 to 5th May 1946 all as RAFVR

many thanks

Peter ([email protected])

ian16th
14th Oct 2016, 13:16
Just seen this re-activated thread.

Thread 'Creep' but interesting
At Her Majesty's Coronation, the commemorative medal was awarded generally to those involved - route lining etc and there was a very limited distribution otherwise.

At the 1977 Silver Jubilee there was an allocation of one per 33 service personnel and a few other criteria.

At the Golden Jubilee, the allocation was those with 5 or more years reckonable service and still in harness on 6 Feb 02. This included RAFVR, RAFVR(T), RAuxAF and RAFR - BUT - if you were an RAFR Class CC you didn't get the gong. This, despite holding a Queen's Commission, wearing the rank, being gazetted etc, holding command over serving airpersons, and generally (apart from the grey hair) being indistinguishable from a 'proper' service bod. The case against the gong was that RAFR-CC was a civil servant and all other arguments were void. This caused a great deal of angst amongst people like ATC Wing Admin officers etc. Needless to say the high priced help were very feeble in fighting the corner for 'their' subordinates.

So what will it be on 6 February 2012 and the Diamond Jubilee?

Any thoughts fellow (and fellowess) pruners?

O-D :ugh:
WRT the Coronation and those route lining.

Very few Coronations Medals were handed out to those route lining. The 16th Entry of Boy Entrants at RAF Yatesbury provided a significant party. There were about 6 medals awarded, none of them to the Boy Entrants all went to Officers and NCO's.

NutLoose
14th Oct 2016, 17:41
Peter by the wiki link it says 10 years service

Country
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ae/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg/25px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg) United Kingdom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) Type Military long service medal Eligibility Part-time Air Force officers, airmen and airwomen Awarded for Ten years servicehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Efficiency_Award

As an LAC he could have been "aircrew" as gunners before they became established as a Sergeant ranked trade, and were often drawn from the engineering ranks. I remember some guy escaping Europe in a Fairey Battle having fought in France etc and being one of the lucky few Battle survivors and was amazed to find at home when they landed everyone was now Sgt aircrew and here he was a battle hardened LAC with a lot of missions behind him. Indeed he said he would fly on missions, then was expected to do his engineering trade when back at base until needed again!