PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft missing in the Broken Hill area

Desert Flower
21st Jun 2010, 08:35
Have been listening for the last couple of hours to a search going on for a missing aircraft in the Broken Hill area. It is a C172 from one of the stations up that way. Several aircraft have been involved in the search, a couple of local ones as well as Rescue 471 which I think is a Dornier. So far nothing found.
Local aircraft have returned to YBHI - Rescue 471 is still on task.

DF.

gassed budgie
21st Jun 2010, 15:13
Evidentally the aircraft was tasked to locate/muster livestock. It failed to return at lunchtime and the aircraft was reported missing later in the afternoon. Hoping the gentleman concerned turns up OK.

Desert Flower
21st Jun 2010, 16:32
They were still searching when I went to bed last night at 11PM. Rescue 51 (helicopter from Adelaide) was in the area for a while. The AMSA Dornier 328 went back to YBHI to refuel then headed back out again.

DF.

Kulwin Park
21st Jun 2010, 23:31
Does anyone know the rego of the 172? I know of a few up that way?
You might have heard it on the radio frequency from the rescue personnel? KP

Desert Flower
22nd Jun 2010, 00:21
Does anyone know the rego of the 172?

It's UFN, & they're still searching.:sad:

Drifter02
22nd Jun 2010, 13:44
Apparently still missing, my friend is part of Adelaide search and rescue and will be out tomorrow morning once again to try locate the missing Cessna.

Desert Flower
22nd Jun 2010, 13:56
I was still hearing that there were aircraft in the search area until quite late this afternoon, but then from what I could gather all aircraft then went off task. Although they searched during the night last night, I guess they're taking a break tonight. No reports of a beacon going off either, so it sounds like there either wasn't one on board or if there was it wasn't serviceable.

DF.

Desert Flower
23rd Jun 2010, 00:00
Just heard Rescue 471 advise that one of the search aircraft has located aircraft parts in Lake Woolcunda. Helicopters are now proceeding to the area.

DF.

bentleg
23rd Jun 2010, 04:58
ATSB website says -

The ATSB has commenced an investigation into an aircraft accident involving a Cessna 172 that occurred about 110 km south of Broken Hill in NSW.

The aircraft was reported missing on Monday, 21 June after it departed from Woolcunda Station in NSW earlier that day. It was found by search and rescue crews this morning, partially submerged in a lake.

The status of the pilot, the only person on board, is not yet known. NSW Police are travelling to the scene.

The ATSB has dispatched four investigators to the accident site. They expect to be at the site for three to four days

Desert Flower
23rd Jun 2010, 08:38
From the Adelaide Advertiser:

Divers retrieve pastoralist's body from lake near Broken Hill:
South Australian police divers have recovered the body of a NSW pilot whose plane crashed into a lake about 130km south of Broken Hill.
A large search was mounted when pastoralist Robert Seekamp, 57, failed to return from a flight over his station near Lake Woolcunda on Monday afternoon.

A NSW police spokesman said a number of Australian Search and Rescue (AUSSAR) planes and helicopters were used to search for the missing plane and pilot.

The wreckage of his Cessna was spotted by search and rescue aircraft yesterday morning.

NSW police had requested help from SA Water Operations Police to help search and recover the body from Lake Woolcunda.

NSW police and Australian Transport Safety Bureau personnel will conduct examinations of the scene to establish the circumstances surrounding the plane crash.

Pity they didn't get the day right!

DF.