PDA

View Full Version : What are airlines after when hiring?

Joseph Villarini
21st Jun 2010, 05:36
Hi, I'm 17 and entering my senior year. So, I want to become an airline pilot and I was checking some private flight schools (FTO's, I believe they're called, right?). Well anyway I was woncering what do airline companies looking for in a pilot? Are they looking more for hours of experience or just having a bachelor's degree from some aviation university?

Because I was thinking of getting a multi engine/instrument instructor rating and then teaching to make up flight time until I get the 1500 hours for the FAA's ATP certification. But, I was thinking of getting those ratings in a private aviation school like Orlando Flight Training. Instead of going to a place like Embry-Ridle and using the money I don't have, to pay the giant tuition/fees.

So please, help me! I'm scared :mad: because I don't know what to do and time's running out!

Emil Almestad
24th Jun 2010, 09:06
Time running out? You are 17! Time is one thing you actually have :)

lander66
24th Jun 2010, 16:36
Where are you planning on job hunting, Europe, USA or South America (obviously don't just limit your options to these areas)? The requirements are different in different areas. In USA for example, you need a degree to become an airline pilot whereas in Europe you don't (for nearly all airlines).