PDA

View Full Version : Skills Test

mur007
18th Jun 2010, 16:48
So I have my skills test booked for this weekend and the nerves are beginning to set in. My instructor's told me not to worry (easier said than done though!) but I was wondering what would it take for me to fail. I've read that hardly anyone flies perfectly on their skills test and some mistakes are actually quite normal. So what does it take for someone to fail? Roughly what percentage of those who take a skills test fail?

mur007
19th Jun 2010, 09:42
Thanks Sky Captain :)

geordiejet
19th Jun 2010, 12:07
Hey hope it all goes well. But I would definately just try and chill and not stress. I was so nervous on the day (much worse than CPL and IR skills test for some reason) and made school boy errors. Meant I partialled, and I am still yet to do my resit

I know that if I just relaxed a bit more I probably would have passed. I do think a majority of people pass first time though. Just the odd one or two like me who don't

Hope it all goes well though for you.

Vortex Thing
19th Jun 2010, 23:57
Skills test for which rating or licence. ATPL/CPL/PPL/FI/CRI/MEP ?

Though admittedly exam technique is exam technique the different levels all took slightly different approaches as the examiner has certain expectations.

May seem obvious that nerves affect us all in different ways but the coping mechanisms and rituals we all have apply to all facets of life.

Going for a job interview, going on a date, meeting the parents, getting married, asking for raise all have similar stressors.

I am not bold enough to give you a solution to alleviating the stress of these events in life but can say find the ones you have coped with best so far, try and remember what got you through them, what worked, what didn't and use those techniques.

In my civilian experience the majority of examiners want you to pass so the benefit of the doubt is with you to loose not the other way around. I still don't sleep more than 2-3 hours the night before a big interview yet I sleep like a baby before my LPC/OPC in the sim which is the opposite of many colleagues.

Each to their own, good luck! Tell us all how it goes.

VT

mur007
20th Jun 2010, 18:13
The test (it was a PPL Skills test, sorry should have made that clear at the outset) went very well and I passed. Nav was fine - we were where I planned when I planned to be there within a minute or so on each leg. Made a hash of the PFL but luckily got another go which was a lot better! So glad to have got it out of the way - thanks for all your help and advice - really appreciate it!