PDA

View Full Version : UAVs

Royalistflyer
18th Jun 2010, 06:05
It would appear that the Chinese are selling the MALE CH-3 UAV - they say "by the hundred" outside of China.

This medium range, medium height surveillance UAV operates at about 220 k and is propellor driven.

Given that it is low cost and the Chinese are by no means averse to selling to our enemies, one wonders what thought has been given to the possibility that the Taliban will start using them and if so, what countermeasures our people in the field think would be appropriate.

Add to that the thought that any more sophisticated enemy (such as Iran) will certainly have their own design UAVs and unmanned strike vehicles, what counter do we have in mind?

Magic Mushroom
18th Jun 2010, 07:06
UAVs available on the open market to the bad guys? Whatever next?:rolleyes:

In other breaking news today, astronauts Armstrong and Aldrin have landed on the Moon.

Do keep up (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/03/airforce_iran_uav_031609/).

Regards,
MM

Royalistflyer
18th Jun 2010, 07:18
I wasn't surprised we've known for some time that cheap UAVs were available on the open market, rather I was recently told by someone quite high in the aircraft industry of the new sophistication of the equipment that he had seen in China, being put on the market by the Chinese at prices well below anything that we build - in other words far more affordable by little groups. Some of those groups will tweak the equipment. So I was asking the question of those of our Military aircrew here who have served in Afghanistan - who use UAVs etc., what they thought the countermeasures should be/what's being thought about.

Magic Mushroom
18th Jun 2010, 07:30
The Iranians, Chinese and several other nations have had fairly sophisticated UAS available at cheap prices for many years. Hizbollah have some and the Israelis have shot at least one down.

We're aware of the threat, there are counters available but this is not the forum to discuss them in detail.

Regards,
MM

x213a
18th Jun 2010, 07:49
Mushroom - beadwindow.

Gaz ED
18th Jun 2010, 07:53
Didn't the Serbs send up helicopters with door-mounted guns in the Balkan unpleasantnesses (?) to shoot drones down? I believe bits of Predator are on display in Belgrade.

Our solution should be a bit more high-tech...........

Fubaar
18th Jun 2010, 08:26
Some of those groups will tweak the equipment.You mean like the Pakistani ISI or Army for Terry Taliban? Discussion of this apparently ultra-sensitive topic has been blocked - twice - on Jetblast by the moderators.

When I saw the documentary about the Royal Anglains(?) tour in the 'Stan in 2006, I thought to myself that quite a few of the Taliban looked like they might be Pakistani Army (or ex-Pakistani Army) soldiers - you know, "ex-Pakistani Army", like the "ex-SAS" who went to Afghanistan as private citizens to train the Mujahideen against the Russians back in the 80s.

Magic Mushroom
18th Jun 2010, 09:53
Mushroom - beadwindow.

Not quite sure how you work that one out X.

All those nations have publically demonstrated their systems, the Israelis have stated they killed the Hizbollah UAV (as well as showing pictures of the wreckage), my link was open source and the fact that UAVs can be shot down is obvious to anyone. Finally, I stated that further details were not appropriate for this forum!! :hmm:

Regards,
MM

Gaz ED
18th Jun 2010, 10:07
MM

It's a new-ish sport, Beadwindow for Beadwindows' sake. :bored:

Nothing a Google couldn't solve........

fltlt
18th Jun 2010, 16:12
24 years ago, stood out on the range at DRES, a group of us involved in the Canadian "RPV" devlopment program (Pegasus a/p, Hulk a/f) wondered when someone would build an "anti RPV, RPV". And we all laughed.
BTW, the loss rate is still about the same, for the same "loss of uplink". Pegasus sure grew up, didn't she.

cornish-stormrider
18th Jun 2010, 17:03
Bagsey go out to train on the air to air ucav please.

I have aced all my flight sim games an got moves that you stinking grobags can't even spell.....

The playstation generation is a coming. Air wars to be fought from air conditioned lounges miles from danger by fat pasty faced dudes. And if you used aircraft engineers they could even service it when they brought it back saving the taxpayer more money.

MM - if in doubt always beadwindow.

Lonewolf_50
18th Jun 2010, 18:15
Sign me up, could be fun times ... won't have to parachute out if the UAV gets riddled with holes ...

Mr_B
18th Jun 2010, 20:16
YouTube - German Army Luna UAV vs Ariana Afghan Airlines Airbus A300B4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NOar22TX2k)

UAV vs an airbus

Lima Juliet
18th Jun 2010, 20:38
Here's a H450 shot down by a MiG29 - note the total lack of reaction from the non-aircrew UAV operator (a good argument to use experienced mates!).

YouTube - Russia Invades Georgia, Shoots down drone with Mig-29 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uyTFPwSXUI)

Here's a pic of a Predator A in the Belgrade Museum

http://unitedcats.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/predator_uav.jpg

No "Beadwindow" as it's all open source - as is the variety of the ill-fated BAE Phoenix UAVs in Belgrade Museum that didn't even need shooting down!

Lima Juliet
18th Jun 2010, 21:00
Here's the Phoenix in the Belgrade Air Museum (note the lack of any battle damage!).

http://www.myaviation.net/photos/small/1/2/7/00017721.jpg