PDA

View Full Version : "The Briefing"

DC10RealMan
17th Jun 2010, 14:53
Years ago I spent a few days in the Officers Mess at RAF Scampton and in one of the ante rooms there was a painting entitled "The Briefing" which detailed a Second World War Bomber Command briefing by Dermot Boyle with a quotation by Stephen Spender, one line of which went something like "And signed the air with their honour"
I remember being truly moved by this painting particularly as it was housed in one of the RAF most illustrious and historic Bomber Command stations.
My question is does anyone know where this painting now resides as I would like to revisit it and perhaps take a photograph of it as a souvenir of my visit to RAF Scampton.

Descend to What Height?!?
18th Jun 2010, 07:24
The painting, or a copy of, was in the Sgt Mess I think?

NRU74
18th Jun 2010, 12:37
Are you sure it wasn't in the Mess at Marham ?
There was a large oil painting there,of a similar scene, which included Dermot Boyle.

Pure Pursuit
18th Jun 2010, 18:04
It hangs in the ante room in the WO & Sgts' Mess at Scampton. Some lovely prints in there alongside it.

There used to be a few Red Arrows paintings to however, they were moved into the TV room in order to:

a. Maintain a WW1 & WW2 theme within the ante room

b. To wind up the RAFAT SNCOs.

Worked on both parts!;)

Abbey Road
18th Jun 2010, 18:45
I recall that painting, but since I served at both Marham, and Scampton, I can't be sure which station I saw it at. In any event, it would have been the Officers' Mess. I suspect it was Scampton. Painting must have been moved?

DC10RealMan
18th Jun 2010, 21:46
Thank you for your replies. I have found out it is in the Sgts Mess at Scampton and I am in the process of arranging a visit.

Pure Pursuit
19th Jun 2010, 09:44
If you need a POC for getting into the Mess at Scampton, PM me.