PDA

View Full Version : Flight Time Limitations - CAO 48.1

Professional Amateur
16th Jun 2010, 10:47
Hey Guys, first post after many years of reading.

I was wondering if anyone out there could concisely interpret the lawyer speak found in in CAO 48.1 part 3.5 onwards.

Here is the part I have issues with.

"3.5 An operator shall not roster a pilot for a tour of duty in excess of:
(a) 16 hours for turbo-jet aircraft; and
(b) 18 hours in other types of aircraft, except where specifically varied by CASA.

3.6 An operator shall not roster a pilot in excess of a total of 14 hours of active duty in any tour of duty.

3.7 An operator shall not roster a pilot in excess of 8 consecutive hours of active duty in any tour of duty.

3.8 Provide the provisions of section 48.0, subsection 1 are observed, a tour of duty, commenced in accordance with paragraph 3.5 of this subsection, may be extended at the discretion of the pilot in command as follows:
(a) turbo-jet aircraft, 20 hours; and
(b) other types of aircraft, except where specifically varied by CASA, 22 hours.

3.9 Following a tour of duty a pilot shall have a rest period of not less that 12 consecutive hours except that, after operating under the provisions of paragraph 3.12 of this subsection and where a tour of duty exceeded 11 hours or the flight time exceeded 8 hours a pilot shall have a rest period of not less that 24 hours before being rostered for duty under the provisions of subsection1.

3.10 When a pilot has completed a tour of duty in excess of 18 hours he or she shall:
(a) have a rest period of at leave 18 hours rest before the next tour of duty; or
(b) not exceed 18 hours on following tour of duty.

3.11 Following 50 hours of duty of any nature associated with his or her employment, a pilot shall have a rest period of not less that 24 consecutive hours before commencing a tour of duty.

3.12 Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 3.2 of this subsection, where a tour of duty is restricted to not more that 14 hours, a seat approved by CASA as capable of providing adequate rest, may be provided for resting flight crew members in lieu of bunks or berths."

Am I being daft or is this stuff written in a confusing fashion.
Happy with 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8, they are no brainers really.
My issue is as follows:

3.9 states a pilot gets 12 hours rest after a tour of duty. Ok that’s simple however it’s the next half of the paragraph that gets tricky.

I read it as saying that if you don’t have a chair (i.e: IAW 3.12) and where a TOD exceeds 11 hours you get 24 hours rest. BUT IAW 3.10 if you do more than 18 hours in a TOD then you only get 18 hours rest with no mention of the chair!!

So to summarise: IAW 3.9 if you do 11+ hrs TOD then you get 24 hrs rest, But IAW 3.10 if you do 18+ hours you only get 18 hours rest.:confused:

Any clarification would be appreciated.

And a last one...what is an adequate chair?? A fold out jump seat or a Dawson Recliner?

Thanks again

PA

N4sir
16th Jun 2010, 13:40
they way I read it...

If a TOD is 14 hours or less a ‘Chair’ may be provided as opposed to a Bunk/Berth.
If a Bunk is provided for rest then after a TOD only 12 hours rest is required as it assumes the Pilot has rested during the previous TOD.

If operating under the ‘Chair’ rule (3.12) and the pilot exceeds 11 hours TOD or 8 hours Flight time, they are then required to take a minimum 24 hours rest.

If an 18 hour TOD is exceed and the pilot has access to a bunk, then they are entitled to a minimum 18 hour rest period.

I the key point you may have overlooked is 3.2.

As 48.1 Sec 3 refers to 3+ crew ops I would assume a 'Chair' on board equivalent to Business class or higher, though at the end of the day whatever CASA approves.

Hopefully this helps

Professional Amateur
17th Jun 2010, 00:20
Getting there, thanks for the response, I thought more PPrune-tificators would have been able to clear this one up...I see it as:

TOD < 18 hrs with a bunk = 12 hrs rest.
TOD > 18 hrs with a bunk = 18 hrs rest.
TOD > 11 hrs with a chair = 24 hrs rest.

This is all good and is derived from 3.2, 3.9 and 3.12.

There remains a mutual exlusivity of para 3.2, 3.10 and 3.12 (i.e: there being no reference to it in 3.10) and this is where my confusion lies.

I understand 3.10 means you get 18hrs rest if a TOD > 18hrs only if you have a bunk however there is no linking comment, thus making this piece open to interpretation.

I must be missing the fact that 3.2 is an inclusive comment relating to the whole chapter. And that 3.12 is the exception to this rule.

I understand it, however remain frustrated

Thanks again, it has cleared it up!!

AP.

AerocatS2A
17th Jun 2010, 01:59
First of all, you get 24 hours rest if you DO have a chair. 3.12 allows you to have a chair instead of a bunk or berth as long as the duty does not exceed 14 hours.

Second, you may only have a chair in lieu of a bunk on duties less than 14 hours. Therefore any duty greater than 14 hours you must have a bunk.

3.10 is not open to interpretation because the only possible way of doing 18 hours duty is if you have a bunk to rest in.

To modify your list slightly,

TOD <18 hours, 12 hours rest.
TOD >18 hours, 18 hours rest.
TOD between 11 and 14 hours with a chair instead of a bunk you must have 24 hours rest.

Note that the bunk is implied in the first two, you can not work beyond 14 hours without access to a bunk.

Professional Amateur
17th Jun 2010, 05:02
Great got it that list is spot on.....I didnt add the 14 hr limit from 3.12.

Boring topic I know however thanks for the input.

PA

wombat watcher
17th Jun 2010, 20:10
PA,
Check your pms