PDA

View Full Version : Effect of cadetships on GA

aussiefan
15th Jun 2010, 23:42
How do people think cadetships will affect GA in Australia? For those who stay in GA and based on the assumption that there will be a fairly big uptake.

Better conditions and pay? faster progression? Will those that stay in GA be more inclined to stick together? etc etc...

Personally I hope so.

Cirronimbus
16th Jun 2010, 04:09
It will be interesting to see what happens all round.

Judging by what other, more experienced posters have already said, the "cadets" will probably be filling FO seats for years and years to come. Perhaps that is as far as they will ever get? Perhaps no one else will occupy FO positions because of that?

IF that is the case, it might mean GA pilots will remain in GA for longer unless they can get suitable qualifications for direct entry into the airlines?

I'm not sure any of the above will mean better pay and conditions for anyone though!

I think "cadetships" might be here to stay. Volunteering to work, to gain experience (or paying for your own on-the-job training) is already popular in other industries. In some cases, if you don't agree to do that then you won't get a job in that workplace. That means for those that do "volunteer", that they have eroded their own pay and conditions. Might be what we are seeing now with "cadetships"?

Rich-Fine-Green
16th Jun 2010, 04:51
I believe the big end of the industry will move towards cadetship programs.
There are too many positives for the likes of Jetstar etc.

- Steady and reliable flow of candidates.
- Cadets trained to their standards.
- Intake numbers can be varied depending on the economy.
- Cheap FOs.
- Bonded FOs.

I'm sure QF will sit back and watch the JQ experiment very closely.

wombat_keeper
16th Jun 2010, 05:21
RFG I couldn't agree more..

I think it's also a potential money spinner for JQ in particular.
IATA announced recently that they expect member carriers "ancillary " revenue sources to produce 30 % gross turn over the next financial year.
What's the difference between charging for a emergency exit seat and a control seat ? :}

aussiefan
16th Jun 2010, 06:44
I fully agree that cadetships are here to stay, also that in the not too distant future this will be the main way to get into Australian airlines.

I am looking at this as an oppurtunity to be a full time GA pilot. Hopefully with some reasonable pay and conditions.

Will this make it more or less likely?