PDA

View Full Version : Oz ATPL Exams and Up To Date Documents

Christafa
13th Jun 2010, 04:07
Having written the rest of the ATPL exams, I only have Flight Planning and Air Law to go. In todays mail I got a nice surprise, Airservices asking me for $350 for another twelve month amendment service for the AIP, CAR and CAO.

To all those who have sat Flight Planning and Air Law, is it necessary to have up to date documents for these exams or will I be alright to cancel the amendment service and use outdated docs for the exam (I don't need them for flying as I'm working overseas right now)

Thanks

FRQ Charlie Bravo
13th Jun 2010, 05:23
Don't blame me if you fail but you'll probably be fine.

I'll be off now to go hide behind a rock while all the pilots who can afford up-to-date pubs cast stones at me.

FRQ CB

Roxy_Chick_1989
13th Jun 2010, 05:41
Hey, most doc's are available on line so (excluding charts) so maybe you could have a look on the ASA/CASA websites and check and see how similar the current doc's are to your set.

hardNfast
13th Jun 2010, 06:17
I would be a little worried about Air Law. With all the changes that just came through on June 3rd.

However by the sounds of your post you documents are still up to date at the moment. If you can do airlaw with only slightly out of date documents you should be fine. The longer your documents are out of date the more that can change!

das Uber Soldat
13th Jun 2010, 06:22
I sat atpl air law with 4 year old non updated regs and got 100%. CASA are pathetic at updating their exams. Infact occasionally they will mark you wrong on a question that has changed recently.

If your docs are only a single amendment out of date, I wouldn't bother.

My personal opinion only.

Sillo777
13th Jun 2010, 07:30
Like others have said your docs should be OK. The AIP gets the most changes however if its only a few weeks out it would be very tempting to just use what you have.

For the future you can get all docs on disk and therefore when an amendment is done they send you the new disk, heaps easier.

Most of the guys I know use jepps and use theonline docs or the copies at the office library.

I just passed flightplanning and CASA don't even use up to date aircraft for that so go figure... I had to laugh as I left Flight planning to last and when I passed and looked at the 727 manual it looked like I felt- Worn out...

morning_glory
14th Jun 2010, 02:07
Agree with what das said...but i had to settle for 90%.

The Green Goblin
14th Jun 2010, 02:14
There is a reason why the 727 us still used for flight planning, It burns a lot of fuel, there is large drag penalties with large fuel burns for gear down type ops. It uses EPRs with large reductions in performance for bleeds and icing gear etc. The altitude capabilities at different weights gives large penalties for weight and lets face it, modern airliners are not as hands on as was the 727.

The 727 was a practical aircraft and the exam is a practical exam. You would not be able to plan a 737/A320 operation in the same way.