PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions for Instructors

rabidcat
11th Jun 2010, 17:25
Some of you have probably read my previous post about my skittish CFI and it made me wonder....

What kind of restrictions do you all put on your pvt students for solo?
How long did it take you guys to learn how to teach auto's properly?
What makes type of student makes for a good student?

Not sure exactly if this is the right area to ask this, but I would prefer copter CFI responses, not airplane CFI. Thanks

I've modified the title of your post, since CFI means Certified Flying Instructor in some countries, but Chief Flying Instructor in others! QHI/CFI=Instructor

Splot

Quick Release
12th Jun 2010, 12:19
Individuals... CFI / grade1 / grade2 .... confident / over confident / capable / cocky ... you cant compare nor judge them because of the title, you could presume but as you said, you had a skitish CFI, most automaticaly presume the CFI is the man! been around long enough to know that aint the case. Maybe less capable but still a good CFI.

Pvt / CPL students while training... no difference re solo, either ready to fly a helicopter solo or they are not.
Autos... some instructors shoot a decent auto early on however teaching it or helping a student learn to shoot one is a different story, constant evaluation and time instructing all other sequences gives them time to learn how students behave under pressure and better prepares the instructor i guess... i know instructors who will probably move on and never teach an auto to the ground, only forced landing sequences.
Also, from what i see out and about, most autos are controled re wind/surface etc making it as safe as possible to teach the basic fundimentals, and are tested on those during their test. So how long? we would hold them off at least until they get past the direct/indirect supervision periods and see after that if they will or not... its not a given thing. Properly?... define what you would call properly and may give u a different answer.
Good student? hmmm one who listens learns, does his home work, producing every thing required, meaning he has a good attitude, good student.
Hopefully then move on to being a good pilot.

Is that what your looking for?

13th Jun 2010, 05:42
If they can't teach autos properly they shouldn't have an instructors ticket!

There are many types of good and bad student but unless they have confidence in their instructor they are unlikely to learn.

Being able to manipulate the controls is only part of being an instructor, engaging with the student and creating a learning environment is absolutely vital.

spinwing
13th Jun 2010, 08:20
Mmmm ...

Crab .... absolutely spot on! :ok:

oldbeefer
13th Jun 2010, 10:47
If by auto you mean a PFL - everyone should be able to do that with a degree of accuracy. If you mean an auto to the ground (engine-off for me), that depands a bit on the aircraft; something like an Enstrom is easy, and students should be able to achieve a reasonable standard. R22? Not seen many instructors who are confident about that unless very low on fuel and a good breeze!

flying.fish
13th Jun 2010, 14:05
1) I generally place no restrictions since all of the solos at our flight school are supervised. i.e. I am there with the student every time. We discuss weather and the planned flight each time and make a decision together.
2) It took 200 hours of instruction to be comfortable teaching. (400 TT)
I was proficient at flying autos myself when I became an instructor but until I knew what to expect from the student while in an auto my concentration could only be focused on keeping us in a safe profile, not on teaching.
3) A good student is one who wants the information and gives feedback. If one of my students shows up before a lesson with a multitude of questions I know they've been thinking helicopters during the time since we last met. If someone asks me to expand on part of a definition or procedure (in the air or on the ground) I know they are absorbing the information.

Some words of advice to readers: Know your course. Depending on which course you are teaching you need to know which maneuvers and subjects are required for that course and what the standards are. This will promote primacy and lessen over-teaching.

Fish