PDA

View Full Version : Multi engine hour building in the US - JAA Licence

ClintonBaptiste
10th Jun 2010, 13:38
I am currently a JAA Unrestricted FI with around 800 hours and am looking at doing some multi hours in the US to start my ME CRI.

I did my JAA PPL, CPL and MEP at EFT in Florida and have the plastic card the US give you (the one with the Wright brothers on).

What do I need to do the hour building?
Hour Building is classed as a leisure activity, so I am led to believe I do not need a visa.

I know I can have a US PPL based on my JAA PPL, but can I fly a multi? Someone mentioned I could get a ME PPL - does this even exist? If not, what are my options?

Many thanks

7574ever
10th Jun 2010, 14:32
I gotta run so I don't have the time for a lenghty answer... so short answer is:

YES to both, you can have a US PPL based on your JAA licence and if you have a valid MEP rating then that'll be included in you FAA licence. I did it a few months ago and it was dead easy!

Cheers!

locils
11th Jun 2010, 14:01
When you apply, make sure you do it in a timely manner since the Licence verfication letter will take some good time to go through. When you have it there's a expiration date on it (think it is 90 days from letter origin). But yes fairly easy, take it to a DPE at the flight school and he will do it on the spot for 50$ or so, or go to the FSDO in orlando to get it done for free.

B2N2
12th Jun 2010, 01:04
So you have a plastic card with the Wright bros. on it....:ugh:

Sarcasm off......

Google is your friend and in this case also the FAA website:
Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

You most likely need to apply for another US certificate based on your JAA and have the MEP added.
And yes, this is all free.
All it takes is time and a Flight Review.
In case you're interested here is the link to the online FAA inspectors handbook dealing with Foreign License certification:
Inspectors Handbook, Volume 5 Chapter 2 Section 14:
Flight Standards Information System (FSIMS) (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=EBookContents)