PDA

View Full Version : I didn't think things were this bad...

QFF
10th Jun 2010, 11:44
Just received my Avtrader this morning - and have never seen so many ads for aircraft being sold off by receivers/auctioneers. I suppose on the bright side someone might get a bargain or two, but in the end the banks will still win and GA ends up poorer for the loss of yet another flying school...

Jabawocky
10th Jun 2010, 11:58
its the fall out from the post boom bubble.....just takes a while to filter through.

Worrals in the wilds
10th Jun 2010, 12:41
Dunno about aviation so much, but I'm also lightly involved in the entertainment industry, where a number of long standing businesses / individuals are feeling the pinch, gone broke or just stopped trading. For the most part, they were businesses that were either unprofitable or only marginally profitable even in good times, so the crunch has really sorted the sheep from the goats with ensuing casualties :sad:.

In the current showbiz climate there is unfortanately no room for the marginal operator. You are either profitable or not, successful or not, and a lot of people have learned to their detriment that if you don't appeal to a viable number of consumers and provide a quality product that sells, there is no room in the market for you.

Maybe the same thing has happened in GA?

Jabawocky
10th Jun 2010, 13:14
WITW

you graduate with honors with a B.Bus, majoring in common sense! :D

PLovett
10th Jun 2010, 13:21
QFF, there may be more ads for aircraft being sold by receivers and auctioneers but the trend has been going on for years. :uhoh:

I have noticed that the number of aircraft (especially twins) for sale with nearly time expired engines and/or props has been staggering. It is quite obvious that operators have not got the money in the kitty to pay for overhauls so onto the market they go to be purchased by the next dreamer. :ugh:

frigatebird
10th Jun 2010, 23:37
On the same note, have noticed a lot more ads in the local rag recently of second cars, or second-hand ones being advertised. Expensive motorbikes too..

Captain Sand Dune
11th Jun 2010, 00:03
Expensive motorbikes too..
Well there's an up-side! Maybe a Harley for my 50th will be more realistically priced then!

TBM-Legend
11th Jun 2010, 00:09
QFF, how do the banks win? Generally there is a big blister attached to the asset and auctions rarely recover costs..

Jetjr
11th Jun 2010, 00:14
Theres a few lenders who have decided to not touch aircraft anymore so someone is getting burnt with these.
Ultimately it will be those looking to borrow to buy one. Will get expensive.

bilbert
11th Jun 2010, 05:23
Re the banks - $12.5 Billion from the taxpayer in fees yet the taxpayer bailed them out during the GFC. How does that work?

Joker 10
12th Jun 2010, 00:05
Bilbert, protection of the 4 Pillars Policy and a stable banking system.