PDA

View Full Version : Fear of blood tests.

MISSED SLOT
18th Nov 2000, 19:10
I hold a class 1 at present, but with the advent of JAR. it seems Im soon due for the six monthly blood test. This terrifies the hell out of me. In the past I've passed out even after/during a routine jab. The usual remedy of getting horizontal hasn't helped either. Can anyone relate to this or come up with some useful ideas to combat it.

John Farley
19th Nov 2000, 23:28
Hi

Sorry about the prob - I guess you have tried closing your eyes and it does not help?

JF

MISSED SLOT
21st Nov 2000, 23:03
My eyes end up closed anyway. But no it doesn't. Its all in the mind

Dr. Red
26th Nov 2000, 15:16
Remember, the people doing the testing are trained and won't hurt you... all you will physically feel is a small pinch.

If you feel anxious, tell the nurse - they are usually quite helpful.

There are some techniques to "distract" your fears...

Make a fist with the hand not being tested (not too tight!) and concentrate on it intensely

Don't look at the needle going in

Add numbers in your head (silently)

Don't tense the arm being punctured

Wiggle your toes

This might sound like bullsh!t, but these techniques distract your attention and give the nervous system other sensory input; overall, making the experience less stressful (hopefully).

I used to hate needles too but I just got "used" to it :)

Hope this helps ya!
Red

[This message has been edited by Dr. Red (edited 26 November 2000).]

Hew Jampton
26th Nov 2000, 16:27
If it helps, the JAR blood test that I had wasn't really a 'jab' at all. Some sort of very small spring loaded needle went into the side of one fingertip and a drop or two of blood was smeared onto a paper testing strip. Not that I have any problem with needles etc, but the doc did it while I was being distracted by the nurse rubbing the electrically-conductive jelly into my chest for the ECG sensors. Too busy trying not to get a hard on to worry about the blood test!

mach78
28th Nov 2000, 01:15
The spring loaded idea seems fine.Unfortuately last time I got a needle smacked on to the end of my thumb.Wasn't very pleasant.
With regard to the ECG, I know what you mean.I remember a few years back literally being offered it on a plate by the nurse-she did make it fairly obvious by her actions what was on offer!-and no I'm not telling!

Mango
28th Nov 2000, 05:18
MISSED SLOT- I understand how you feel. I lived in the tropics for 18 years. Great as it was, there was the need for injections every 6 months against nasty desieses. As a little squid I really enjoyed getting jabbed but as I grew older I started to despise the whole ordeal. Now, I dont like needles at all. I have had some blood test used by needles that look like buckets attached to nails. There is nothing greater than looking at your own warm dark blood gushing into the chaimber followed be the slow loss of vision and a sence of detachment from the world.

Its hard to close your eyes, clutch your fist, count numbers, think of sexy girls (I'm a guy), wiggle your toes ext ext ext. Its only human to take a peek now and again as you go through the whole process. As you mentioned yourself...its all in the mind. There really is no pain its just uncomfortable. Compare needles with falling off your mountainbike or when the girl you loved dumps you for the butcher boy? I think thats pain (there are more examples but I think you get the picture). So what do you do??? Well, try and think about nothing or at least clear your mind. Detach yourself like you would if you were to ignore somebody, dont fight it but go with the flow (resistance creates stress). If all fails, ask for or take a thermos of hot sweet tea. Sipping tea after a injection might stop you from passing out.

Mango

MISSED SLOT
1st Dec 2000, 12:53
Thanks chaps, the ideas will be tested. With regard to the type of blood test, I believe they want the full load when you reach 40, the needle in the thumb will happen before that age.
Another idea put forward was to play very load music from a cd/headphone set up.
With me its the blood taking and not so much injection that causes problems, all in the mind I know. Thanks again David