PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in the US

AlexanderH
9th Jun 2010, 22:33
I realise that there are many posts regarding hour building in the US but I really could do with some advice on hour building in the US.
I was looking at California (the LA area) but as I did my PPL in Florida I'm concerned that I dont have the experience to deal with all the mountain flying and the general traffic in the area.
My second idea was to go to Las Vegas and rent from there. Seems a little quieter than the LA basin and slightly flatter.
Maybe I'm worrying a bit too much I know but any advice on these areas would be massively appreciated.

Whirlygig
9th Jun 2010, 23:02
I dont have the experience to deal with all the mountain flying and the general traffic in the area.Then have a few hours with an instructor. If you don't, how will you gain the experience?

Cheers

Whirls

AlexanderH
9th Jun 2010, 23:18
Actually, what I really want to know is LA versus Las Vegas. Both flight schools have offered a couple of hours of intruction beforehand so that is not an issue.

colette
10th Jun 2010, 13:53
I'm just back from some hour building in the LA basin area and would highly recommend it, I haven't flown in Las Vegas though so can't directly compare. I had the same worries at first due to the mountain areas and the traffic, but after a few hours you'll wonder why you wasted the time worrying in the first place. SoCal Approach do an absolutely fantastic job passing you traffic information and vectors if needed, I found them to be unbelievably helpful. Flying into airports such as Van Nuys and Santa Barbara is a great experience and you get to see some pretty cool aircraft! Would also recommend flying into Chino and spending a few hours at their Planes of Fames museum. The Lockheed martin weather briefing service over there is great and you can also use Flightwatch (i cant remember the frequency) to ask about weather/turbulance reports from other pilots etc. Also I'm sure any instructors at your school would be happy to help you out and offer advice based on their experience of the area or even come along with you to give you some extra confidence for your first few nav trips. Feel free to PM if any questions.

24seven
10th Jun 2010, 13:53
I would choose LA everytime... lot more to do and a lot more to see. Flying around Vegas can be very bland as it's in the desert after all, and I'm not sure I would call Vegas flat... its elevation is 2200ft but off to the west you have a 12300ft ridge, to the north a 10300ft ridge, to the east you have the Grand Canyon which is between 6000ft to 8000ft (most of which you won't be able to fly around in a light aircraft) and its pretty much the same towards the south as you have ridges of 8800ft and 7500ft... but on a plus side you have Lake Havasu which is a really fun town.

And maybe I caught the controller on a bad day but out of the 24 US states I flew in the Vegas controllers were the most miserable.

At the end of the day... both places are only a maximum of 3 hours apart if you decided to stay at one place and then visit the other one

J o e r g
11th Jun 2010, 09:58
Hello,
Southern California is a great place to fly ...
You want to built hrs when? What time of the year?
LAS is very H O T from May to October - no fun unless you
have a plane with a (real good working) A/C.
If you want some experience: the greater L.A. area is a must.
Contact me if you have any further Qs.
So long, JOERG

PILOT AT FERRYPILOT DOT DE

Seite 1 (http://www.FerryPilot.de)

AlexanderH
12th Jun 2010, 15:33
Thanks people. I'm probably going to head over to LA after all.
Justice Aviation at Santa Monica was recommended to me by a friend.
Thanks for all your advice.

Krasnall
12th Jun 2010, 16:02
Justice Aviation at Santa Monica was recommended to me by a friend.
I also heard couple positive comments about this school from people living in the area.