PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter shot down in Afghanistan

SiClick
9th Jun 2010, 11:23
Helicopter shot down in Afghanistan - World, Breaking News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/world/helicopter-shot-down-in-afghanistan-14834671.html)
:(

Duncan D'Sorderlee
9th Jun 2010, 11:42
From the BBC:

BBC News - Nato helicopter shot down in Helmand in Afghanistan (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/10274262.stm)

BEagle
9th Jun 2010, 12:31
From Sky News:

Tim Hewage, Sky News Online

Nato has confirmed four American soldiers have been killed in southern Afghanistan after a helicopter crashed after taking ground fire.
Spokesman Sergeant Kevin Bell said the aircraft came down in southern Helmand province.

The helicopter was downed after taking ground fire from insurgents, a Nato spokesman confirmed.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for shooting down the helicopter.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi said the helicopter was shot down by two rockets.

Helmand provincial government spokesman Daoud Ahmadi said the attack occurred about midday in Sangin province.

The four US soldiers were part of the Nato led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

The latest deaths mean that 28 Nato troops have now lost their lives in combat in Afghanistan this month.

Chugalug2
9th Jun 2010, 12:43
Shocking news. My thoughts are with the loved ones, friends and comrades left behind to grieve. A stark reminder of the sacrifices made for one another, not only within our own forces but by those of one of our staunchest and most steadfast allies. Here is where our "Special Relationship" lies, rather than in Whitehall or Washington. RIP dear friends and thank you. You gave your lives so that others might live, that is indeed the greatest of all sacrifices.
Chug

Duncan D'Sorderlee
9th Jun 2010, 14:51
Well said, Chug.

RIP

Duncs:ok:

Always a Sapper
9th Jun 2010, 21:15
What Chug said....

RiP lads

BootFlap
9th Jun 2010, 21:53
To any US Forces or the family of those involved reading this, would you please pass on my personal condolences, not only for this loss of life in action against the enemy but for all those who have gone before. I have had the pleasure (and the pain) of 3 tours in 'the Stan' and worked with you guys many times. I have been supporting you, and supported by you, within the space of minutes as the tactical situation dictated. I'll see you in the Great Aircrew Bar In The Sky, hopefully not too soon, but soon enough. God speed boys, :(

Squirrel 41
9th Jun 2010, 22:03
RIP - and thanks.

S41

panther_chat
10th Jun 2010, 21:04
Having seen these chaps working day in day out, I have nothing but the upmost respect and admiration. True Heros who risk and forfeit their lives 'that others may live'...

God Speed

hippocrates
10th Jun 2010, 21:08
Taleban hang 7-year-old boy to punish family - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7147378.ece)

These brothers in arms died bringing our own wounded soldiers out of harms way back to the doctors and nurses at Bastion field hospital.
In my humble opinion there is no greater act of bravery.
I recieved patients daily from the American rescue teams during my recent tour.
They have saved many UK lives.
I will always be in awe of those aviators who fly into trouble to help others.

God speed gentlemen.

Some background to this tragic incident included in above link.

helidriver
10th Jun 2010, 21:51
RIP

h and family

Gas_Monkey
11th Jun 2010, 17:31
It was one of the Pedros:

Pedros (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/pedros.htm)

Thankfully, the other cab carrying the British casualties made it back to Bastion unscathed.

topgas
13th Jun 2010, 11:39
Can I add my condolences to all concerned? The Pedro crews are an amazing bunch - totally fearless in going into the hotest of ELS, many times having to suppress groundfire first. Their priority was always to get the casualty and they saved many many lives by their speedy delivery to us in the field hospital. Total respect for you guys and I feel your loss.
Topgas

Judge Rembrandt
13th Jun 2010, 18:10
My respect and condolences to the Pedro Community as they grieve their loss. The crew have made the ultimate sacrifice that others may live – there is no greater act of bravery. My sympathy to the families and friends of these heroes. RIP
JR

Wiley
14th Jun 2010, 00:50
Possibly not as far off the thread's topic as some might first think, but I heard on the radio this morning (sorry, can't find any newspaper links) that the Pakistani Government - (not just a few renegades, but many in the highest in the government) - has been accused of providing massive financial and strategic support to the Taliban.

I suppose the question that immediately comes to mind to anyone who has dealt with the Pakistanis is: "Are we in any way surprised to learn this?"

Edited to add: found some links.

The Hindu : Front Page : ISI supporting Afghan Taliban as “official policy'' (http://www.thehindu.com/2010/06/14/stories/2010061455351200.htm)

LONDON: Pakistan's intelligence agency, ISI, has been accused of supporting the Afghan Taliban as part of its “official policy'' which is said to include funding, training and providing sanctuary to militants.

A report by the prestigious London School of Economics claimed that the level of Pakistan's support for the Taliban was “very extensive'' and on a much larger scale than was previously assumed.

Pakistan's intelligence service accused of supporting Taliban - The Irish Times - Mon, Jun 14, 2010 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/0614/1224272439785.html)

Andu
15th Jun 2010, 05:58
Has there been any follow up in the UK press or electronic media over this LSE report?

Andu
21st Jun 2010, 07:20
Australian CDF and Minister of Defence currently on national TV announcing the crash of a helicopter at 0309 local time today in Afghanistan, with three Australian soldiers killed and seven injured, two of them seriously.

No announcement yet as to who was the operator of the helicopter except to say it was not Australian Army.

Jabba_TG12
21st Jun 2010, 08:56
I read about the Pedros on Michael Yons site. A very sad loss. Sincere condolences to the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Never to be forgotten.

Andu
21st Jun 2010, 09:44
The latest crash would appear not to involve the Pedros. I see a separate thread has been opened discussing the latest crash, which the Oz CDF stressed was not the victim of enemy fire.